Thread: What's YourTube?

What's YourTube?

In other words, what YouTube channels do you enjoy.

Some of mine include:

Space Flight:
    Nasa Spaceflight for daily Boca Chica updates from Mary, et al.
    Scott Manley

I've watched Tim Dodd, the Everyday Astronaut a few times but something about his manner just grates on me.

Boat Building:
    Tally Ho! The boat is just a few miles from me, and will soon be closer.
    Acorn to Arabella Two skinny guys in central Massachussets with no boatbuilding experience are building one anyhow.
    Western Flyer Restoration of the fishing boat John Steinbeck cruised the Gulf of California on in 1940.

History:
    Drachinifel Naval History is something I've enjoyed for a long time.
    The History Guy
    and of course, Time Team Classics.

I'm going to save this now so I don't mess it up then go and find links to edit in.

ETA: Some for fun that I forgot:
    Hydraulic Press Channel Finnish guy squashes stuff. Be sure to watch to the end for bonus content.
    Beyond the Press Same Finnish guy and his wife Anni doing weird stuff
    Steve 1989 Guy eats old and new military rations. Nice Hiss!

I expect I'll remember a few more, but this'll get us started.
    Last edited by Trebuchet; 2021-Jun-03 at 10:03 PM.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

You shame me, the only youtubes I've ever watched have been instructional, as in the "How To Fix This?" kind. They have saved me boo-coo bucks over the years from plumbing to lawn tractor repairs. But you're looking for real replies, carry on....

I've watched quite a few of those as well. And been helped by them. But why the heck would you think you're shamed by not wasting time watching YouTube?
    I don't think I ever watched YouTube for fun until a couple of years ago. Now I waste too much time there.

What's YourTube?

I’m more of a YouTube free grazer but I do subscribe to a few channels. Just a few...

SciManDan for a good Flat Earther take down

Roger Dodger Aviation (flight sim cockpit building)

Woodworking:

The Wood Whisperer
    Rob Cosman Woodworking
    Paul Sellers
    DIY Japanese Joinery
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Good, Treb, you started the thread. I tend to find a topic I like and see a few related videos for awhile and move on, so I don’t have that many recommendations right off, but I’ll add more as I find things I like or go back to old favorites. These for now:

- Linus Tech Tips, lots of things related to current computing. Sometimes has ridiculous high end builds, but a lot of interesting stuff if you like to keep up with computers:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCXuqSBlHAE6Xw-yeJA0Tunw

- Adam Ragusea, this is focused on cooking and seems to be more grounded in straightforward cooking than some, but he also has informational episodes, like one about why sweet onions are sweet (turns out it is partly due to the variety and partly due to low sulphur soil (onions need sulphur to make the eye watering chemicals).

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC9_p50tH3WmMslWRWKnM7dQ

- Captain Disillusion - he mostly covers types of video fakery adding in his own humor and a lot of CGI, it’s fun to watch and extremely informative. He also sometimes discusses how movies do FX. Sadly, he doesn’t produce much these days, but I recommend a run through his videos.

https://m.youtube.com/user/CaptainDisillusion

- Nostalgia Nerd - old computing and gaming. If you like to be reminded of the older home computing days.

https://m.youtube.com/c/nostalgianerd

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Space Flight:
    Nasa Spaceflight for daily Boca Chica updates from Mary, et al.
    Scott Manley

I've watched Tim Dodd, the Everyday Astronaut a few times but something about his manner just grates on me.
    I agree with these. Dodd has kind of a nervous laugh, maybe better in more recent videos, but it puts me off. I much prefer Scott Manley.

Steve 1989 Guy eats old and new military rations. Nice Hiss!
    Yeah, that is weirdly interesting to watch. I first looked at it when I was thinking of getting some MREs for earthquake preparedness, then the pandemic hit and most of that kind of stuff just disappeared or prices went sky high, and I ended up getting more of conventional canned, frozen and pantry goods. But I still watch on occasion. There is no way though that I would eat some of that old stuff if not in an extreme emergency, and he sure seems to enjoy things I expect I wouldn’t.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I’m more of a YouTube free grazer but I do subscribe to a few channels.
    Me too, I’m more likely to mention videos or video series than channels. I tend to look at videos that are recommended and on the same topic that I am looking at.

SciManDan for a good Flat Earther take down
    Yes, he is good, given the subject, and there is a channel I can’t remember at the moment that had debates with flat earthers which helped me see more of their arguments. My problem is that my interest dropped very quickly. These people are like posters with the absolutely worst threads in the ATM section. They rarely have actual arguments, it’s mostly denial. Images of Earth? Fake. Gravity? Doesn’t exist. Why does air pressure drop with altitude? Ignore question. How does GPS work? Ignore question. Do you have a model we could evaluate? Doesn’t do models. Lots of times they don’t even understand what is being asked, or understand arguments that show how they are wrong.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Trebuchet,

I also enjoy the hydraulic press channel, I've always been interested in the power of hydraulic machinery since I was a little kid!

I watch a multitude of differing subjects, some that cover my hobbies of off road motorcycling, golf, science... I also like to watch people doing extreme and amazing things, some podcasts like Joe Rogan and public discussions with folk like Christopher Hitchens, Stephen Fry and a vlog called "closer to the truth".

In fact, I spend more time watching YouTube than half the drivel that gets broadcasted on tv these days.

I watch a handful.

Ask a Mortician, by Caitlin Doughty. She's a real-live mortician in Los Angeles. Her channel involves questions people have about the funeral process, but she's branched out to things like "Iconic Corpses" (Lenin, Marcos, etc.) and bits of history that involved lots of bodies (Dyatlov Pass, the Donners).

Binging With Babish, by Andrew Rea. He makes food from TV, the movies, etc., and when necessary makes versions that aren't awful.

Tasting History, by Max Miller. Historical food and the history around it.

The Casual Criminalist, by Simon Whistler. More importantly, his writer--he doesn't read the scripts in advance. I've watched several of his other channels, and I've decided the script writer is the one who really interests me.

Also lots of old episodes of QI, Would I Lie to You?, and Only Connect, not to mention Time Team.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Retro computing:

The 8 Bit Guy He is very knowledgeable both on the hardware and software aspect. Very nerdy, in depth, mostly from a technician's perspective.
    LGR Reviews old games and computer hardware, from a user's perspective. Researches his subjects thoroughly, turning each episode into a documentary. Also, amazing voice.

Technical Wizardry:

Look Mum No Computer makes electronic music instruments from anything and everything. A sequencer using only relays, a Furby organ, you name it. Very high-energy guy but doesn't shy away from discussing the electronic details. A bright mind and one of the most creative people on YouTube.
    Wesley Kagan is perhaps the smartest fabricator on Youtube. He doesn't know how exceptionally good he is. Plays a level above Colin Furze. Makes active suspension or a Freevalve engine for his Miata in his garage with an Arduino and still thinks Koenigsegg wouldn't like him in their ranks. Mostly (race)car and engine related stuff. Calm guy.

Then there's a whole range of DIY racing, car rebuild etc big YouTube channels I watch such as Cleetus McFarland, Goonzquad, The Car Wizard, Tavarish, Casey Putsch...
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I like to cook so I have more than a few cooking channels in my list:

Home Movies with Alison Roman, food writer and cook for The New York Times. She cooks in her home kitchen in Brooklyn.

Claire Saffitz, Dessert Person, contributing editor at Bon Appétit magazine. All baking, all the time. In detail. Sometimes with a cat.

Chef John, Food Wishes. Witty, pun-making chef who also has a good blog. I've linked to the blog but the imbedded videos can also be found on his YouTube channel.

blancolirio (a.k.a. Juan Browne), pilot and aviation explainer. His editing and style leave a bit to be desired but he offers very detailed content about why flying aircraft often don't.

All Things Barbecue. As the name says. Chef Tom Jackson (Oregon Culinary Institute) can make all kinds of grills sing a song. Technically this is a commercial video site in that all of the products used are sold in the ATBBQ store in Wichita, Kansas. It doesn't matter; the video production quality is excellent and the recipes are very well-illustrated. One of my favorites.

America's Test Kitchen
    . Sometimes full episodes, sometimes just a self-contained clip.

Chef Zee Cooks. Do you like ropa vieja, Dominican chicken or Pollo guisado? You've come to the right place. Recipes from Latin America and the Caribbean.

Astronomy and Nature. Telescopes, rockets, astronomy and space. Some nice how-to on scope collimation and usage.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post

blancolirio (a.k.a. Juan Browne), pilot and aviation explainer. His editing and style leave a bit to be desired but he offers very detailed content about why flying aircraft often don't.
    Dang, I forgot that one. Also Mentour Pilot along the same lines.

I also like Mentour Pilot's videos. Captain Joe is often pretty good as well.

Legal Eagle has some very good explanations of legal issues in the news, as well as reviewing movies and TV shows for legal authenticity.

Electroboom is fun to watch. He is a clumsy Electrical Engineer who builds projects and teaches concepts. I like that he doesn't edit-out his screw-ups.

Of course Scott Manley's discussions of space travel are excellent. I also like The Vintage Space, where Amy provides in-depth history lessons.

Oh, and for light-hearted history lessons, I very much enjoy Oversimplified.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

I've watched quite a few of those as well. And been helped by them. But why the heck would you think you're shamed by not wasting time watching YouTube?
    I don't think I ever watched YouTube for fun until a couple of years ago. Now I waste too much time there.
    "Shame" was a wrong choice of words, "A Lightweight" fits better.

Oh, yes, Legal Eagle is fun. I believe it's his review of How to Get Away With Murder where he's practically crying because of how bad the law is in that one.

My friends are Reannag Teine Pottery, and they have a channel where they do the actual making of their pottery. It's mostly livestreams, initially, so there's not a lot of editing involved. But did I watch a kiln-emptying video to see if I could spot the piece I'd bought from them? Yes, I did.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    My favourite you tube is “just have a think” It is a series of talks about new energy sources, new ways of saving energy, carbon capture, stu.ff like that. The episode I saw today was about the newly launched tidal turbine in Scotland, largest in the world, a barge tethered to the sea bed with two large propellers on swing arms. Swung up , the barge is easy to tow around, then the arms go into the current, generating megawatts. Very interesting.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

On Gregson Street in Durham, NC, there is a railroad overpass that is 11 feet 8 inches high, from the roadway. Or used to be. Just in case drivers don't actually know how tall their vehicles might be, there are overheight detectors and a large flashing sign that says "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN". But still they don't. Which leads to great fun on this YT channel.
    It continues to amaze me how many drivers:
    A) Ignore the big flashing sign;
    B) Ignore the big flashing sign AND run a red light;
    C) Ignore the big flashing sign but think it'll be ok if they just creep through slowly*;
    D) Pretend they didn't notice the impact and just drive away.

*Spoiler: It won't.

The most common victims seem to be rental box trucks (Penske, etc.) and the air conditioners atop RV's.

Oh, did I say "used to"? Well yes, the railroad did indeed raise the clearance to 11feet8+8. It probably has helped some. Apparently the city can't lower the road because of utility lines buried in it. And where'd be the fun in that, anyhow?

I have shown links to this guy before, known him since the seventh grade, I like seeing some familiar scenery on youtube.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

On Gregson Street in Durham, NC, there is a railroad overpass that is 11 feet 8 inches high, from the roadway. Or used to be. Just in case drivers don't actually know how tall their vehicles might be, there are overheight detectors and a large flashing sign that says "OVERHEIGHT MUST TURN". But still they don't. Which leads to great fun on this YT channel.
    It continues to amaze me how many drivers:
    A) Ignore the big flashing sign;
    B) Ignore the big flashing sign AND run a red light;
    C) Ignore the big flashing sign but think it'll be ok if they just creep through slowly*;
    D) Pretend they didn't notice the impact and just drive away.

*Spoiler: It won't.

The most common victims seem to be rental box trucks (Penske, etc.) and the air conditioners atop RV's.

Oh, did I say "used to"? Well yes, the railroad did indeed raise the clearance to 11feet8+8. It probably has helped some. Apparently the city can't lower the road because of utility lines buried in it. And where'd be the fun in that, anyhow?
    Geez, now I'm wishing someone would put a camera on the trestle near me. In this case, they can't lower the road because it would be underwater if they did.

"You can't erase icing."

This is a single video science fiction story, about 40 minutes long, mostly narration, but there are drawings that add to the narrative. It is about an odd but interesting take on the future of humanity over a long timespan. It has a point where a rather sadistic alien race defeats humanity and genetically alters us, with future human derived species not looking much at all like us. Don’t expect a super happy or super depressing story.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=imNtSPM3-r4

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I honestly don't bother with youtube much anymore, do some music comedy art channels, the indie science animators and science fiction illustrators and all the good ones are getting banned these days so I end up following them to Vimeo, Telegram, bit chute <<< the cosmoquest filter still is killing this link after so many years Btw..., I check Odyssey for the scifi people artists, Deviant art, the old science blogs and forums, Gab, Dailymotion and I guess other taboo parts of the web. The site https://odysee.com has a growing space channel community, Isaac Arthur is trying to cross-platform these days...its very easy to get flagged by some A.I program bot trying to copyright a series of notes or image colors that perhaps belong to another media company...guys like Isaac Arthur I guess cross platform to survive potential online possible lawsuits claim or copyright strikes so you can find him on tunes type sites, soundcloud types sites and he has his own personal blog, and he's on other social media sites....If you are creating your own media channel with video and sound content I hear its hard to do all your own sounds and images and animations so I hear he might have borrowed a few seconds of a clip from some video game to illustrate a dyson sphere for example....what becomes fair use...how many notes of a musical series of tones can you repeat before the lawyers and attorneys from record companies and the online robot programs scanning for sound data and images chase you all down??? Anton Petrov is on sites like odyssey and doing his content creation of math and cosmology stuff. I see one recommendation is the 'The History Guy' channel I wonder how long his channel would survive if he decided to do the history of islamic depictions of Muhammad ibn Abdullah...how long would it take for his channel to be deleted. I still go back to animation or art or music guys like Adam Neely, Richard Beato I might watch a classic musician explain what Gustav Holst wrote or I might view a world music channel or a jazz guy explain how Louis Armstrong played or watch some photography channel but I will never Ever click on a youtube link, I guess I seen them as more bad then good, instead I stream it all into another mirror converter website cost them bandwitch and to deny youtube licks and revenue, if I like a guys channel I will do my best to buy their mug or t-shirt or book or do whatever small donation I can, I know youtube pays people peanuts and there are options like patreon out there for direct funding. Anyways its been a blast coming back and saying hello to some old names during the lockdown.

Over and Out.
    Last edited by Launch window; 2021-Jun-29 at 11:18 PM.

A recommended video, roughly 11 minutes long,

Why are spacesuits so expensive?

I was surprised to learn that all current NASA EVA suits were made in 1974, are very expensive, and a good number have been lost (due to Space Shuttle and one SpaceX cargo rocket losses), and remaining ones are getting harder to repair. Some original manufacturers no longer exist, some items, such as types of electronics, are no longer made.

This is a case where Russia actually has been modernizing better than the US, and keeping a good supply of backups, making new and updated suits over time. NASA does have a well developed prototype for a new suit as part of the Artemis program, and this likely will be an area where companies will be stepping in.

Anyway, some new and interesting information for me, at least. I thought it was worth watching.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I think I mentioned in another thread that when we were in Sequim last week we drove by to see Tally Ho -- and she wasn't there any more. Here is the video of the move. Pretty much everything seen in the journey is very familiar to me!
    It's quite emotional when he talks about the couple that let him use their home and shop -- and Poncho the Parrot -- for several years.

I've started watching and enjoying videos from Overly Sarcastic Productions. Which honestly aren't that sarcastic, but are intelligent and informative on a wide array of topics.

"You can't erase icing."

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I've started watching and enjoying videos from Overly Sarcastic Productions. Which honestly aren't that sarcastic, but are intelligent and informative on a wide array of topics.
    plus, Red's drawings are Bishonen-tastic.

It's interesting to see how many Youtubers I follow on this thread. But then, I have over a thousand Youtube subs. I've contemplated whether I might have a problem, but I just want everyone to like me. Also, I'm a Youtuber myself and I want people to sub to me, so I sub other people.

For this thread, I might recommend Sabine Hossenfelder. She's not lacking for subs, but she seems far less recognised than she should be.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

I like Vsauce and Numberphile.

And Veritasium.