Thread: Choosing astronauts

Choosing astronauts

This post in another thread:

There's a reason we chose our "best and brightest" to be the first astronauts, and that's because we had to.
    Got me thinking. Obviously, at least on early flights we didnít have to, because if you think about it we also launched rockets with dogs and monkey astronauts. But still we launched elite pilots. I guess basically part of the reason is that it was easy to, and I think they had the qualities you would want in an astronaut, for example coolness under pressure, resistance to motion sickness, and skill at using checklists and stuff. Anything else I might be missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

The early astronauts were (IIRC) all engineers and almost all test pilots. There is nobody better to handle the new and relatively untried equipment as well as have the intellectual heft and training to analyze problems and work through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    This post in another thread:

Got me thinking. Obviously, at least on early flights we didn’t have to, because if you think about it we also launched rockets with dogs and monkey astronauts. But still we launched elite pilots. I guess basically part of the reason is that it was easy to, and I think they had the qualities you would want in an astronaut, for example coolness under pressure, resistance to motion sickness, and skill at using checklists and stuff. Anything else I might be missing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pushiness, honesty, a random demands. All of that keeps you on your toes and keeps the ground side people thinking.

Astronaut: "I'd like a way out of this in case it explodes."
    Engineer: "No way. It'd be a flying trapeze to the ground and you probably fall and die anyway."
    Astronaut: "You said probably, so there's a chance of survival?"
    Engineer: "Fine, flying trapeze to the ground so you don't explode with the rocket. Anything else?"
    Astronaut: "A control stick and a window would be nice."
    Solfe