Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trivial or non-trivial technology that is just horrible

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Starbuck's.
    Have you seen their prices? It's definately "bucks" in the most plural way possible.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and went to university in Tampa. But we've lived in Georgia since 1985 - and I sorely miss proper Cuban cafe con leche. Starbucks is the closest I can find with their espresso drinks and that's a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I can tolerate Starbucks when I need to: for convenience or for The Wife's sake. She likes their drip coffee.
    I'm sure I could tolerate it--it's just that I don't drink coffee when I'm down town or on the move--it's something I do at the start of the day, while my eyes are still opening. Very much the opposite of a social occasion. I have one friend who likes to "meet for coffee", but she's a Caffè Nero person, and their drinks list makes my eyes glaze over, so I just have some sort of sandwich-related item on those occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    I find most consumer grade coffee grinders to be just awful.
    Not an expert, but so I hear. The nice man down the road has been roasting and grinding coffee on the premises for the last 150 years (well, I think a number of previous generations have been involved too), so I just take the stuff he grinds. And he just has his surname on the signage, so that's all good.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    I grew up in Fort Lauderdale and went to university in Tampa. But we've lived in Georgia since 1985 - and I sorely miss proper Cuban cafe con leche. Starbucks is the closest I can find with their espresso drinks and that's a distant second.
    First time we were in Chile, back in the early nineties, I asked for a café con leche with breakfast, and was presented with a pot of hot water, a little jug of cold milk, and a jar full of instant coffee granules. When we were there a few years ago, asking for the same thing scored me a tall cup of hot milk lightly flavoured with coffee. It's the uncertainty I can't cope with, when ordering coffee abroad ...

Grant Hutchison

As a non-coffee drinker, I basically don't have technology for drinks I consume; I am continually fascinated by the technology for coffee.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"