Thread: AI author

AI author

Postulate an AI that, given five tropes from the TV Trope list, writes a novelette size story incorporating those tropes at a quality level equivalent to a "good" (not "great", but not "mediocre") story in fanfiction.net.
    Is this a plausible future development? If so, roughly when would you expect it?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    Is this a plausible future development? If so, roughly when would you expect it?
    Plausible in the future? I think so. When? I have no idea. Current “AI authors” have no idea what they are doing, they just are some type of program that works statistically, or with some trained neural net or other process to fit sentences together. I would expect you would need something that can emulate what humans do in a sophisticated way, and I don’t know how long that will take.

One possible near term exception would be an AI that manages more or less by chance to produce something that some people find amusing, even if it makes little sense. There was a short movie developed from an AI script shown in an Ars Technica article sometime back. Some people seemed impressed, some seemed amused, but to me it looked like the sort of uninteresting and mostly random mess I’d expect out of software that has no idea what it is doing.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Postulate an AI that, given five tropes from the TV Trope list, writes a novelette size story incorporating those tropes at a quality level equivalent to a "good" (not "great", but not "mediocre") story in fanfiction.net.
    "Twenty years". Isn't that when all near term technology will be here?

But yeah, it seems like it'll probably be real within the decade, if not sooner. Learning machines do pattern matching very well, and popular fiction tends to follow predictable patterns of plot and characterization. And once it can find that combo it'll continue to refine it.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It would probably be better than a lot of human-written stuff on fanfiction.net...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

There are certainly tools that can write pretty reasonable text (here is an article about one, with a link so that you can try it out). I imagine that refining that somewhat might be able to produce non-terrible fiction.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.