Thread: WoodSat - plywood flying at 30,000 KPH

WoodSat - plywood flying at 30,000 KPH

Apparently ESA plans to fly a plywood satellite as an engineering demonstration.

Where No Plywood Has Gone Before: A Space Agency Will Launch A Tiny, Wooden SatelliteEarth-orbiting satellites usually end their lives in a fiery reentry but a tiny CubeSat scheduled for launch by the European Space Agency later this year might put off a warmer glow than most in its final moments.

That's because WISA-Woodsat is made mostly out of plywood.

It's not such a crazy idea: Since it became widely available about a century ago, plywood has been prized for its strength, rigidity and durability three things that are good in a spacecraft.

Woodsat is designed to test how well WISA plywood a special high-quality variety produced by UPM Plywood in Finland, one of the project's sponsors can withstand the rigors of space.

You don't have to worry about woodpeckers or termites in orbit.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

In space no one can hear you squeak against the joists.

There have been plywood aircraft (De Havilland Mosquito) and racecars (Costin GT), so why not.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.

And China used wood for spacecraft heatshiels before, so it isn’t a new material for spacecraft, either.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    And China used wood for spacecraft heatshiels before, so it isn’t a new material for spacecraft, either.
    For some reason I have always thought of your user name as being based on the character created by the Science Fiction author Poul Anderson. However I was obviously mistaken as otherwise you would surely have mentioned his book "The Makeshift Rocket" in which a spaceship is made from "beer kegs and pretzel boxes".