Thread: Archives

Archives

How far back in the Archives does Cosmoquest go? Does Bad Astronomy and Universe Today still exist somewhere?

Just wondering.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

By the way, I was just lazily looking at my avatar after I posted that, and then I noticed my join date. 2003! Jeez, that's nearly 20 years! I guess that's possible, but it could also be a system glitch. Anyway....
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

I just clicked on the first post of the "Your current weather" thread from 2008, so it goes back at least that far!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

The first "posts" for BABB were controlled by perl scrips created by Matt Wright. At some point between Sept and Dec 2001, the BABB board switched to phpBB. In 2004, the BABB started flying the UT flag before they combined in 2005, perhaps in September of that year.

In 2003, UT was using Invision Power Board until the merger. In 2012, CQ launched and merged it all.

Before these dates, most of the data is gone. As near as I can tell, I think Oct 2001 is the earliest "join date" you can find and it may not be accurate. I have the rare distinction of having been a member of each board before each merger, which is kind of weird.

Edit - Wrong answer. I can find posts from 2002-3, including my "first post". There are a lot of people who should predate me by years still kicking around but their starting posts also appear dated as 2002. It could be the text was preserved but the dates got mashed up.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Jul-09 at 08:19 AM.
    Solfe

Well, I guess I was wrong. It appears to me that data loss was expected.

On Oct 23, 2001, GrapesOfWrath reposted something that had existed on the prior board(s). This would have been the BABB under phpBB.
    Solfe

My profile says I joined on June 5, 2002 but I think I remember participating on the old BABB before that. My post history only dates back to June 21, 2002 and I'm pretty sure I made an introductory post upon/after joining.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I was able to locate my first post (in a thread I started myself) from July 6, 2003. It was about some movies and tv shows in which clocks run backward during time travel. I was wondering just how that would happen.
    (I got a "Welcome to the boards" follow-up from user "Humphrey": I find that he last appeared here in 2007, but I'm grateful that the first response wasn't "Dumb question! Get lost!".)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    My post history only dates back to June 21, 2002 and I'm pretty sure I made an introductory post upon/after joining.
    I was mistaken. I found my first post from June 6th...but it wasn't introductory. I just jumped right in the deep end.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I joined this board on 2001-10-16, but as I recall, posting was restricted to Phil Plait only while he learned about the software and tested it for a few days. Previously, as Solfe said, it had been a Matt's Scripts BB.

I think this is the oldest thread, started 2001-10-22:
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...oard-works-now!

The OP is the third post ever made. The first two posts were by Phil during that first week, and he then deleted them. Shortly after Hook started this thread, there was another thread started with the 5th post to the site.

At least, that's how I recall it...

I'm pretty sure I joined somewhere in the second half of 2002 on BABB. The forum says 2004 but I don't think that is correct. I have used the search function with my username and a word that certainly was in my first post, but it didn't return a result.
    With sufficient thrust, water towers fly just fine.