Thread: Lay out my finest suit, robo-Jeeves

Lay out my finest suit, robo-Jeeves

A new project to have robots dress people, safely. How does a programmer define safe without making the robot too timid?

https://techxplore.com/news/2021-07-robots.html

"By allowing robots to make non-harmful impact with humans, our method can find efficient robot trajectories to dress the human with a safety guarantee."
    To resolve the freezing robot problem, the team redefined safety for human-aware motion planners as either collision avoidance or safe impact in the event of a collision. Often, especially in robot-assisted tasks of activities of daily living, collisions cannot be fully avoided. This allowed the robot to make non-harmful contact with the human to make progress, so long as the robot's impact on the human is low. With this two-pronged definition of safety, the robot could safely complete the dressing task in a shorter period of time.
    "A robot shall not harm a human, or by omission of action allow a human to be harmed."
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I know what Grant is going to say, but I think for disabled people who do have trouble dressing themselves, this would be useful.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I think to understand itís useful to understand why we can generally do it well with children. We avoid collisions, by moving slowly as we get close, and the fact that our fingers have soft flesh (unlike claws or talons) minimizes the risk of injury in case of a collision. I guess they are thinking along those lines. So itís probably not anything mind-boggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I know what Grant is going to say, but I think for disabled people who do have trouble dressing themselves, this would be useful.
    Yes, that's what I was going to say.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Yes if it works out. Right now it's still in the "DO NOT POKE THE EYE" stage of development.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright