Thread: Donít Be Surprised if EmDrive Experiments Never Work

Donít Be Surprised if EmDrive Experiments Never Work

Every few years the “EmDrive”, a proposed method of generating rocket thrust without any exhaust, hits the news. Each time, everyone asks: could this be it? Could this be the technological leap to revolutionize spaceflight? Don’t hold your breath. Here’s the basic idea behind the EmDrive. You take a chamber with a funky shape (usually …
    Continue reading "Don’t Be Surprised if EmDrive Experiments Never Work"
    The post Don’t Be Surprised if EmDrive Experiments Never Work appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Why would I be surprised that the Emdrive never works? That’s like being surprised perpetual motion machines never work. It is, rather, what should be expected.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Why would I be surprised that the Emdrive never works? That’s like being surprised perpetual motion machines never work. It is, rather, what should be expected.
    Because it’s the 2020s and all kinds of crazy things are happening. If somebody built a working perpetual motion device tomorrow I’d probably shrug and go “Well, it’s 2021, this may as well happen.”
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Jul-16 at 05:39 AM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Because it’s the 2020s and all kinds of crazy things are happening. If somebody built a working perpetual motion device tomorrow I’d probably shrug and go “Well, it’s 2021, this may as well happen.”
    None of the crazy things happening violate the laws of physics. There have been violations of good standards of human behavior, and violations of the upward trend of progress. With the latter's bad events and outcomes being largely a consequence of the former's bad decision making.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    None of the crazy things happening violate the laws of physics. There have been violations of good standards of human behavior, and violations of the upward trend of progress. With the latter's bad events and outcomes being largely a consequence of the former's bad decision making.
    I don't understand why it doesn't wiggle. I'm very surprised that it doesn't at least wiggle. There has to be a lot of "noise issues" that have to be canceled or suppressed. Personally, I am a fan of an external force making the thing move. Or some currently unknown interaction like the vessel shedding material on the outside from activity on the inside. I think the second idea is really cool, but making a tiny rocket is the opposite of what they want.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    I don't understand why it doesn't wiggle. I'm very surprised that it doesn't at least wiggle. There has to be a lot of "noise issues" that have to be canceled or suppressed. Personally, I am a fan of an external force making the thing move. Or some currently unknown interaction like the vessel shedding material on the outside from activity on the inside. I think the second idea is really cool, but making a tiny rocket is the opposite of what they want.
    I'm not familiar with the technical specs of the Em non-drive. But I am told the attempts at replicating the supposed directional motion have failed.

Oh, I would hope and expect the laws of physics to say consistent, I’m just saying that my level of certainty about anything is a bit less secure than it used to be.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Jul-16 at 03:07 PM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I'm not familiar with the technical specs of the Em non-drive. But I am told the attempts at replicating the supposed directional motion have failed.
    It's a gorgeous looking model, all copper and silver looking. But it does look like a bell shaped ion thruster with the end capped off. Many of the diagrams show the beams or particles bouncing around the interior, which strikes me as being a good diagram of a vibrating pail of water. Like a vibrating pail of water, it does stand to reason that you should be able to introduce forces that should make it wiggle and tip over in unexpected ways. Also like a pail of water, it's bad engine design. For the life of me, I can't figure out why it wouldn't move. That part seems pretty easy to me.
    Solfe

Don't Be Surprised If Homeopathy Experiments Never Work Out