Thread: When the Sun Dies, Earth’s Magnetosphere won’t Provide Protection any More

When the Sun Dies, Earth’s Magnetosphere won’t Provide Protection any More

The Earth’s magnetic field is an underappreciated wonder of the natural world.* It protects our atmosphere, provides some of the most breathtaking scenery when it creates auroras, and allows people to navigate from one side of the world to the other.* Unfortunately, it won’t be able to save us from the death of the Sun …
    Continue reading "When the Sun Dies, Earth’s Magnetosphere won’t Provide Protection any More"
    The post When the Sun Dies, Earth’s Magnetosphere won’t Provide Protection any More appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

From the article... "Unfortunately, it won’t be able to save US from the death of the Sun though."?

Since Earth will have lost all of it's water and been rendered an arid desolate wasteland LONG before that point (due to the steady increase in the Sun's output it predicted to be uninhabitable in @1billion years) it's fairly obvious this won't be an issue for us, even if we miraculously manage to survive that long. since been forced to find another home anyway.

And that far in the future, any intelligence left alive will have long since ceased to be "us", in the sense of human beings. They may not even have evolved from the same stock.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    And that far in the future, any intelligence left alive will have long since ceased to be "us", in the sense of human beings. They may not even have evolved from the same stock.
    I always find it weird when some article or book assumes that we (where our particular species evolved 200,000 years ago or less) would be around billions of years from now. I hope something from us will, but I would be astonished if we were still running around.

Also, if a species lasts that long, moving to another star becomes much easier: Just wait for the occasional close approach and you don’t even need to go that far (like Gliese 710 in “only” a bit over a million years).

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

More to the point, if a civilization exists off Earth at all, they will no doubt have long since developed artificial magnetospheres to withstand cosmic radiation and solar flares. So a planetary magnetic field, or a planet, will not be necessary.

As already pointed out, survival of an intelligent species on Earth itself will have become untenable long before that era.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright