Thread: "Directed Energy Systems"

"Directed Energy Systems"

Reagans "Star Wars" inching closer to reality?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...d=winp1taskbar
    The timeless ends of formless starts....all ends in dark and begins in light...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Who knows what that all means? The only understandable concept is a radar system detecting incoming and alerting a missile battery. The radar gets better, the missiles get better but that concept has been around for at least fifty years. It does not amount to a dome like force field except as pure hype. There is, if you like, a dome of effectiveness in range of detection and range of interception. Lasers might replace missiles but I am not sure about electron beams in air. Maybe you could get reverse lightning with electrons making an ionised path for a current to flow to a target. I hope the IFF still works!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It does not amount to a dome like force field except as pure hype. There is, if you like, a dome of effectiveness in range of detection and range of interception.
    Yes, I noticed that. I thought it was a typical hype headline meant to grab attention. Headlines often are not written by the article author, but in this case “force field” was also used in the article even though it wasn’t appropriate for the subject. Well, it is from Dailymail, and I’ve heard of its reputation even here in the US.

Lasers might replace missiles but I am not sure about electron beams in air.
    No, and I assume you saw this:

DE is described as 'a focused beam of electro-magnetic energy that is used to enable or create military effects, when used in conjunction with other military systems, including kinetic weapons.'

This can include lasers, radio frequency devices, high power microwave, millimeter wave, and particle beams, all of which could create at least five military effects: 'deny, degrade, damage, destroy or deceive.'

(Emphasis added) I read about particle beam research back during the SDI days. They would be strictly for use in space, as they can’t go far in atmosphere. Also, charged particles would be affected by the Earth’s magnetic field, making aiming difficult. There was work on neutral beam devices that would split apart hydrogen atoms, accelerate the protons (and perhaps the electrons) then combine the protons and electrons back together at the end of the accelerator so that what was left was a beam of atoms with a neutral charge. Still, hit too much atmosphere and that could be undone. It was thought they could be useful against ICBM warheads once they had gone above most of the atmosphere.

As far as I’m aware, lasers are getting most of the current attention, the other EM based systems mentioned there have severe range limitations.
    Last edited by Van Rijn; 2021-Aug-01 at 03:10 AM.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser