Thread: A New Plan to Search for Extraterrestrial Artifacts at Earth and Across the Solar Sys

A New Plan to Search for Extraterrestrial Artifacts at Earth and Across the Solar Sys

Professor Avi Loeb has announced a new project that will search for 'Oumuamua-like objects in our Solar System, which could be artifacts of extraterrestrial spacecraft
    The post A New Plan to Search for Extraterrestrial Artifacts at Earth and Across the Solar System appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Hopefully that is a Harvard funded study but you just know, it's another bridge to nowhere, taxpayer funded boondoggle.

Ely,

Various sources that the project is funded through private donations. Please have a care with politically-charged comments.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Ely,

Various sources that the project is funded through private donations. Please have a care with politically-charged comments.
    Can you supply me with the funding source? A 990 would be preferable.

Postscript; I can see how one might infer politics from that, but in my defense, if you do, it is definitively a bipartisan comment.
    Last edited by Ely; 2021-Jul-30 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by Ely View Post
    Can you supply me with the funding source? A 990 would be preferable.
    I do not have personal access to their tax records nor does it fall within my role as a forum administrator.

Please do not reply to official moderator/admin comments within the thread unless asked. You may use the report button or send a private message.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
    Professor Avi Loeb has announced a new project that will search for 'Oumuamua-like objects in our Solar System, which could be artifacts of extraterrestrial spacecraft
    The post A New Plan to Search for Extraterrestrial Artifacts at Earth and Across the Solar System appeared first on Universe Today.

More...
    Could be's are the last refuge of motivated reasoning.

Lots of things could exist. Science is about following evidence, not just following your imagination based on what's not technically impossible.

'Oumaumau turned out to be a cosmic dust bunny consisting mostly of vacuum. I think searching for more of of the same and call them possible evidence of ETI is to misunderstand how evidence works. I don't think it's a productive application of resources in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence.

Of course seeking interstellar bodies in our own Solar System has its own scientific benefits, but finding space probe remains is not among them.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

In case anyone is curious, were this financed by Harvard and or a foundation, those tax records are available publicly and almost always posted on the Internet. If anyone has information on who is funding this, please let me know, I would sincerely appreciate it. If you know the funding source, I can find the tax record for it.

In case anyone is curious, were this financed by Harvard and or a foundation, those tax records are available publicly and almost always posted on the Internet. If anyone has information on who is funding this, please let me know, I would sincerely appreciate it. If you know the funding source, I can find the tax record for it.
    "The Galileo Project has initial funding from generous donations and pledges by individuals and foundations listed on the Galileo Project website. Additional philanthropic, foundation or governmental funders are encouraged to join the Galileo Project."

- https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/file...pr-7.26.21.pdf

Charities have 5.5 months after the end of their fiscal year to file a 990, so I doubt there's going to be one for the Galileo Project at this early date.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    "The Galileo Project has initial funding from generous donations and pledges by individuals and foundations listed on the Galileo Project website. Additional philanthropic, foundation or governmental funders are encouraged to join the Galileo Project."

- https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/file...pr-7.26.21.pdf

Charities have 5.5 months after the end of their fiscal year to file a 990, so I doubt there's going to be one for the Galileo Project at this early date.
    Thank you, ToSeek. I found it a little hard to believe it was funded entirely, "private donations". I should take your advice on the signature line and set up an RSS feed.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Ely; 2021-Aug-01 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Than you, ToSeek. I found it a little hard to believe it was funded entirely, "private donations". I should take your advice on the signature line and set up an RSS feed.

Thank you.
    Why does it matter if some of its funding comes from public sources? What would be the significance of that?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why does it matter if some of its funding comes from public sources? What would be the significance of that?
    I cannot answer that question in this forum. The answer could be misconstrued as political. If you want an answer, message me.