Thread: Lightweight Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fuel Tanks Pass a Critical Test, and Coul

Lightweight Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fuel Tanks Pass a Critical Test, and Coul

Material science is still the unsung hero of space exploration.  Rockets are flashier, and control systems more precise, but they are useless without materials that withstand the immense temperatures of forces required to get people and things off the planet.  Now a team from MT Aerospace, working on a grant from ESA, has developed a …
    Continue reading "Lightweight Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fuel Tanks Pass a Critical Test, and Could Knock a lot of Weight off a Rocket’s dry Mass"
    The post Lightweight Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic Fuel Tanks Pass a Critical Test, and Could Knock a lot of Weight off a Rocket’s dry Mass appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    I was working in BAC when RollsRoyce went bust in 1971. The cause was carbon fibre reinforced compressor blades. They worked beautifully and reduced weight. But the issue that RR could not solve was creep. In the case of a pressure vessel, there will be creep but it can be tolerated. Creep means strain without loss of ultimate stress values. At least for a while. However if they have metalised the interior to keep hydrogen in, the thin metal barrier might become porous if the CRP creeps under constant load. I do not know if the creep was in the carbon fibres, (unlikely) or in the bond from carbon to resin. The resin creeps. So, just guessing, the barrier to the liquified pressurised H and O getting at the bond is crucial to long life. Long life testing is the big issue there.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G