Thread: NASA Chooses Falcon Heavy Over SLS to Launch Europa Clipper, Saving About $2 Billion

NASA Chooses Falcon Heavy Over SLS to Launch Europa Clipper, Saving About $2 Billion

The bureaucracy of government control is slowly fading away in space exploration, at least in the US.* A series of delays, cost overruns, and imposed requirements have finally started taking its toll on the Space Launch System (SLS), the next generation NASA rocket system.* Now, the space agency has finally conceded a point to the …
    Continue reading "NASA Chooses Falcon Heavy Over SLS to Launch Europa Clipper, Saving About $2 Billion"
    The post NASA Chooses Falcon Heavy Over SLS to Launch Europa Clipper, Saving About $2 Billion appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Isn't the SLS supposed to eventually take humans to the moon and beyond? Is the November 21st launch in peril?

But it’s not a monopoly, no sir…
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

When I look at the list of unread threads, the titles are truncated. This one read,

NASA Chooses Falcon Heavy Over SLS to Launch Europa Clipper, Saving About $2

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It seems torsion loads are a big factor. These are, I guess, not normal twisting loads around the axis of travel, but resultant loads on the payload from a bumpy ride. The rocket engines have a variation in thrust that would be the time derivative of acceleration, called jerk. If the payload is cantilevered by its support structure, that jerk becomes a torque because of the payload inertia and torsional inertia. It is sobering to read that redesigning the support structure is measured in Billions. At least that is my guess from limited information. Having a lot of smaller rocket engines would greatly reduce that jerk compared to say, solid boosters.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWithNoName View Post
    When I look at the list of unread threads, the titles are truncated. This one read,

Yes, budgets are very tight this year.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright