Thread: Scientists Figure out how the Asteroid Belt Attacked the Dinosaurs

Scientists Figure out how the Asteroid Belt Attacked the Dinosaurs

How do you track an asteroid that hit the Earth over 60 million years ago?* By using a combination of geology and computer simulations, at least according to a team of scientists from the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI).* Those methods might have let them solve a long-standing mystery of both archeology and astronomy – where …
    Continue reading "Scientists Figure out how the Asteroid Belt Attacked the Dinosaurs"
    The post Scientists Figure out how the Asteroid Belt Attacked the Dinosaurs appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    So, that’s kind of reassuring. A rather large asteroid in the outer belt, where they are common, can get kicked by a combination of solar heat and gravity effects toward our orbit. These asteroids at 10 km or so in size, make quite a big crater and tend to wipe out large animals, such as dinosaurs. The models suggest these kicks occur about every 250 million years so we have some time to get ready, if the last one was 67 million years ago.

On the other hand we think there have been other , smaller impacts, maybe there was one about 13000 years ago, smaller but capable of messing up the climate for 1000 years, worldwide fires, volcanoes, sea level rises and all that stuff.

It seems we need to know more about these impacts and , importantly, what we might do about them. The variety of asteroids and the way they can get kicked into lower orbits is getting more attention but is not yet understood to the level of a predictive modelling.
    Last edited by profloater; 2021-Aug-05 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Typo
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

And I note 2021PP about airplane sized, according to JPL, is within a million miles on August 8th. But with its orbit ranging from Earth to Mars, it will be a regular visitor..
    Ref from JPL website:
    .This view of asteroid Bennu ejecting particles from its surface on Jan. 6, 2019, was created by combining two images taken by the NavCam 1 imager aboard NASA's OSIRIS-REx spacecraft.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    So, that’s kind of reassuring. A rather large asteroid in the outer belt, where they are common, can get kicked by a combination of solar heat and gravity effects toward our orbit. These asteroids at 10 km or so in size, make quite a big crater and tend to wipe out large animals, such as dinosaurs. The models suggest these kicks occur about every 250 million years so we have some time to get ready, if the last one was 67 million years ago.

On the other hand we think there have been other , smaller impacts, maybe there was one about 13000 years ago, smaller but capable of messing up the climate for 1000 years, worldwide fires, volcanoes, sea level rises and all that stuff.

It seems we need to know more about these impacts and , importantly, what we might do about them. The variety of asteroids and the way they can get kicked into lower orbits is getting more attention but is not yet understood to the level of a predictive modelling.
    I searched unsuccessfully for a size distribution in the outer belt. Seems like you found one other than the generic description "larger" asteroids in the outer belt. Would you link it , please?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    I searched unsuccessfully for a size distribution in the outer belt. Seems like you found one other than the generic description "larger" asteroids in the outer belt. Would you link it , please?
    It was in the JPL page, I will link it:
    . https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/asteroid-wa...ive-approaches
    sicut vis videre esto