Thread: Earthquakes in diverse places

Earthquakes in diverse places

1886 Charleston would not have been my first pick for a giant quake location. And every once in awhile I read of a quake revealing a new fault. So could a Mercalli 12 quake occur in Miami, Chicago or NYC?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Well there was the New Madrid earthquake in 1811 causing the Missouri river to change its flow for a bit of time.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ed-trail-tears

Well there was the New Madrid earthquake in 1811 causing the Mississippi river to change its flow for a bit of time.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ed-trail-tears

ETA: Change that to the Mississippi River, sorry.

Short answer is yes, a large magnitude quake could occur anywhere along the US eastern seaboard. Or in many other places not normally known to be active seismic zones. I think about the only places where geologists might get shocked by a large earthquake is in the centers of the ancient cratons.

Longer answer involves discussion of ancient rift zones harboring now deeply buried faults. In the case of Charleston and similarly situated areas, it is thought the faults are artifacts of the Pangaea breakup. The rifting that occurred then proceeded dominantly along the fault line(s) that have created the latest Atlantic Ocean but, back when Pangaea was still deciding how to break up, many fractures formed in the continental crust. The New Madrid earthquakes, for example, occur where a rift started and then failed. In other words, the continent tried to split generally up the middle (along where the Mississippi River is now located) but it stopped in favor of the Atlantic rifting. There's a lot we don't know, of course.