Thread: Researchers Generate an Entire Virtual Universe and Make it Available for Download (i

Researchers Generate an Entire Virtual Universe and Make it Available for Download (i

You could fit an entire simulated universe in your pocket, if you have $40,000 to spare.
    The post Researchers Generate an Entire Virtual Universe and Make it Available for Download (if you Have 100 Terabytes of Free Hard Drive Space) appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

My first PC had a 400mb hard drive back in 1998, current one is 1tb (yeah it's a few years old, sue me) so I should be able to afford the required 100TB capacity oh say about 40 years after I die of old age......

These days SSDs are only about $100US per terabyte. Cheap!

Note that you don't actually have to download the data if you want to analyze it. They're providing time on the computer systems where it's stored. See http://skiesanduniverses.org/Simulat...licDataAccess/

Users are welcome to develop analysis codes and run tasks by launching a Jupyter notebook (or direct SSH access) to Uchuu-BigData@CESGA
    Selden

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post

Note that you don't actually have to download the data if you want to analyze it. They're providing time on the computer systems where it's stored. See http://skiesanduniverses.org/Simulat...licDataAccess/
    I'm retired and if I tried to justify buying 100tb worth of HD I'd have to run really-really fast because my wife is an excellent shot......

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    If itís just storage you need, thatís the expensive way to do it. You can get a 14 TB NAS rated hard drive (more expensive than consumer hard drives) for about $400, or about $28.60 per TB. I know for certain you can go cheaper than that. A NAS can be configured to look like a single drive to an OS.

Right now I have a fairly old NAS with about 24 TB of storage though 6 TB are configured for redundancy. I have eight 3 TB drives and two can fail without losing data.

One other issue would be getting the data. My internet service has a 1 TB download limit per month, so I, for example would need to pay for a more expensive service tier.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser