Thread: Please update "Manage Attachments" file type list, eliminating psd,txt and zip.

Please update "Manage Attachments" file type list, eliminating psd,txt and zip.

Please correct the list of allowed filetypes which are listed in the "Manage Attachments" section of the "New Thread" and "Preview Post" pages: psd, txt and zip should be removed.

Background:

On the "New Thread" and "Preview Post" pages, the list of allowed file attachment types includes psd, txt and zip. Unfortunately, the code which implements uploading does not allow any of them: Whenever I try to upload any of the filetypes psd, zip, or txt, the "Manage Attachments" uploader complains either "invalid file" or "upload of file failed". Also, as confirmation, no "Max File Size" is listed for any of them.

(I can understand why, for security reasons, zip files might be disallowed, but not allowing psd or txt puzzles me.)

Attached are screengrabs illustrating the situation:

1. text saying what filetypes are allowed (I've circled the incorrect ones in red)

2. error message from "Manage Attachments", including its list of types which actually are allowed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allowed_types.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	4.7 KB 
ID:	26440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	txt and list.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	26441  
    Selden

Addendum:

I just now looked through the Rules postings and can't find any prohibition of the three disallowed file types. It'd be nice if this discrepancy could be corrected: either the rules should say that those file types aren't allowed (and why) or the uploader should allow them.
    Selden

I'm trying to figure out why there's a problem with these file types. There's a vBulletin admin page to control this, but the settings for the types that don't work don't seem meaningfully different from the ones that do.

And there must be something squirrelly going on because when I try to attach either a jpg or a gif (to show you the settings), I get the message "Exceeds forum quota by 2.85 GB."
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I hate bugs!
    Selden

Did you check the usergroup permissions? When I try to post an image in Chrome, I get the 2.85 gb message. When I go to Firefox, I get an error saying I don't have permission and need to log out and back in. That doesn't work, btw.
    Last edited by Solfe; 2021-Sep-13 at 05:44 AM.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I'm trying to figure out why there's a problem with these file types. There's a vBulletin admin page to control this, but the settings for the types that don't work don't seem meaningfully different from the ones that do.

And there must be something squirrelly going on because when I try to attach either a jpg or a gif (to show you the settings), I get the message "Exceeds forum quota by 2.85 GB."
    I just got the same message with a 23KB jpg I attempted to add to a forum post. Using Firefox.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Same here with a 59 KB jpg and Edge.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to a newer version of vBulletin?

I understand that it could be disruptive. Creating a temporary site for beta testing has been productive for some of the other fora that I frequent. One of them even managed to switch to forum software with a very different interaction paradigm. (Discourse)
    Selden