Thread: Hereís What it Would Be Like to Fly Low Over Jupiterís Cloudtops

Hereís What it Would Be Like to Fly Low Over Jupiterís Cloudtops

During Junoís extended mission, every orbit is like a new adventure. Each orbit is a little different, and NASA says the natural evolution of Junoís orbit around the Jupiter provides a wealth of new science opportunities. But for most of us, what we look forward to on every perijove Ė the point in each orbit …
    Continue reading "Here’s What it Would Be Like to Fly Low Over Jupiter’s Cloudtops"
    The post Here’s What it Would Be Like to Fly Low Over Jupiter’s Cloudtops appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Amazing images but I have a question... Seeing as how Jupiter's atmosphere is so vast why does it have such a sharply defined edge? It just seems to go from nothing to suddenly solid looking with no hazy transition at all at the outer edge, even in the close up images from Juno. Looking at images of Earth from orbit you can see a faint blurring of our meager (in comparison) atmosphere around it's perimeter. Even the few transiting images I've seen where Jupiter is partially blocking one of it's moons the transitional edge is razor sharp.

Is it due to scale or the lower ambient solar light at that distance? Just something I've always wondered about as it seems so counter intuitive.

I’d think it is mostly the size of Jupiter and distance from Jupiter when the images are taken. You’re seeing Jupiter from far enough distance that it has a significant curve. Jupiter is much larger than Earth, so the actual feature sizes are much smaller in the image. You’d be much closer to Earth when seeing a similar image here.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser