Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Do you have a battery lawnmower?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,638

    Do you have a battery lawnmower?

    I've just mowed with the old gas one but am still thinking of getting a battery mower. If you've got one, how do you like it? What kind? Was it worth the money? What are the pluses and minuses?
    I need to estimate my lawn area, but I suppose it's 1500-2000 square feet.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,707
    Yes, I have an Ego mower, I bought it two or three years ago. I also have a number of other Ego tools. I like it, I have about a half acre, though I don’t mow my front yard due to the way it is landscaped. It seems plenty powerful enough, and I sometimes let the grass get fairly tall. Also it is self propelled, but is pretty light compared to a gas mower. I like the minimal maintenance - no oil or air filters changes, no end of season preparations. The Ego mower folds up nicely and takes up little room for end of season too. I like not having to remember to buy gas for the mower. It takes around an hour to charge a drained battery, so it is a good idea to charge the battery the night before you mow.

    It does annoy me that all the companies have proprietary battery configurations. You pay a lot for the batteries and are locked into that company for chargers, etc. One of these days, I expect they will be pressured to standardize, but not today.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,707
    Oh, you asked if it was worth it. I think so, but one remaining concern I would have is how long the battery lasts. I just have to wait and see on that one.

    I had given up on my most recent gas mower. They are maintenance heavy, what with the oil changes, filters, spark plug changes and running down the gas at end of season, and this one was loud and vibrated a lot from the beginning. And it seems to me that newer gas mowers are more delicate than older ones and break down quicker (my guess is it is due to changes made to reduce pollution). Iím not an expert at working on them and get tired of taking them in for maintenance. I have no interest in rebuilding the motor or carburetor.

    This battery mower just runs when you push the button and hold the handle. No fighting the mower to get it started. Keeping the blade clear and in good shape is pretty much it for maintenance.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Posts
    4,008
    Do they not make the kind that stays plugged in while you mow anymore?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Do they not make the kind that stays plugged in while you mow anymore?
    For my yard, a corded mower would be too much of a pain to deal with. Even corded tools where I don’t need to move them around much are annoying to deal with when getting to the lower yard.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    Do they not make the kind that stays plugged in while you mow anymore?
    I expect they do, but why would you want one? Battery ones these days will do most lawns, and you don't have to mess with the cord.
    Regarding gas mower maintenance: Until last week the last time I used mine was probably in 2012. It's been sitting in the shed for nigh upon ten years. I added gas and it's working fine.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Regarding gas mower maintenance: Until last week the last time I used mine was probably in 2012. It's been sitting in the shed for nigh upon ten years. I added gas and it's working fine.
    My maintenance issues have been with gas mowers that are regularly used. Newer ones seem more delicate. Old ones just worked and didnít need codling. Anyway, if you use a mower that rarely, why bother with a battery electric? I got one because I was sick of dealing with gas mowers. I didnít want to get the current one repaired again or go through the same nonsense with a new one.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    My maintenance issues have been with gas mowers that are regularly used. Newer ones seem more delicate. Old ones just worked and didnít need codling. Anyway, if you use a mower that rarely, why bother with a battery electric? I got one because I was sick of dealing with gas mowers. I didnít want to get the current one repaired again or go through the same nonsense with a new one.
    Its not that I need mowing that rarely, its that it has become financially ridiculous to pay the lawn guy for it. Now I'm going to be doing it weekly or so.
    This mower is at least 20 years old so fits in your "doesn't need coddling " category. But I'm still interested in having something newer and quieter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,860
    Brand new and quieter - but the motive unit might still require some coddling.

    https://www.workinghorsetack.com/Pio...wer-p/6901.htm

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Very near, yet so far away
    Posts
    424
    We have a battery mower. It's a Makita, so takes makita made batteries. The batteries are 18v and the mower takes two as its 36v.
    Depends on the size of the battery as to how much run time you get, as well as the length of the grass. We find that using 3Ah batteries on long grass will exhaust the batteries at about 1440 sq ft. Using the 5Ah batteries and shorter grass means double the area with battery life left over. That actually means that we get front and rear lawns done on one set of batteries.
    It's a nice machine, light and relatively quiet. One tip is to lift the front of the mower when starting the motor on long grass to prevent it bogging down.
    Saves a lot of hassle with having no cord too.
    I've actually been expanding the range of tools that use the same batteries. Have a hedge trimmer, chainsaw and various drills and drivers now, and they all perform well, especially the chainsaw. I found having multiple charged batteries available removes the worry about running out half way through a job.

    Of course, having some batteries for one existing tool saves the cost when buying another tool, which is considerable. Bare machines are a fair bit cheaper.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Posts
    10,142
    my son in law uses a robot type on about 10,000 square feet. It does a random walk that eventually covers all and it parks itself to charge the lithium battery. After one year it seems to need charging more frequently, but still does the job. It needs a wire around the periphery to turn it round. It is rather fascinating to watch and to guess its algorithm. (I am thinking of making my own)
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,638
    Quote Originally Posted by headrush View Post
    We have a battery mower. It's a Makita, so takes makita made batteries. The batteries are 18v and the mower takes two as its 36v.
    Depends on the size of the battery as to how much run time you get, as well as the length of the grass. We find that using 3Ah batteries on long grass will exhaust the batteries at about 1440 sq ft. Using the 5Ah batteries and shorter grass means double the area with battery life left over. That actually means that we get front and rear lawns done on one set of batteries.
    It's a nice machine, light and relatively quiet. One tip is to lift the front of the mower when starting the motor on long grass to prevent it bogging down.
    Saves a lot of hassle with having no cord too.
    I've actually been expanding the range of tools that use the same batteries. Have a hedge trimmer, chainsaw and various drills and drivers now, and they all perform well, especially the chainsaw. I found having multiple charged batteries available removes the worry about running out half way through a job.

    Of course, having some batteries for one existing tool saves the cost when buying another tool, which is considerable. Bare machines are a fair bit cheaper.
    My battery tools are Ryobi, and yes it's handy to have multiple tools with just the one battery type. Ryobi does make a mower that uses them but it's just 13 inch cut width and would take me all day!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Wild West
    Posts
    9,586
    I absolutely love my cordless mower! It's at the other property at the moment, but I believe it is this one: 20 in. push OR self-propelled Ryobi. I use it on my grassy/weedy 3 acres by the river. Battery lasts a long time. Tremendous machine! You just pull a lever to have the mower self-propel, and you can set the speed, although it rolls easily on level ground. 5 mowing heights. I got a matching cordless string trimmer that also works great (but it's got its own (smaller) battery). I have no stock in this company, lol.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bend, Oregon
    Posts
    6,470
    We have a Kobalt bought at one of the big box stores, Lowes I think. It's worked great for five years or so. Had to replace of the batteries (it has two but can operate on one) but otherwise no issues. Mind you, we don't have a big yard and don't water it much so there's not a lot of mowing that gets done. But when the mower is called on, it performs like a champ every time.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    17,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    I absolutely love my cordless mower! It's at the other property at the moment, but I believe it is this one: 20 in. push OR self-propelled Ryobi. I use it on my grassy/weedy 3 acres by the river. Battery lasts a long time. Tremendous machine! You just pull a lever to have the mower self-propel, and you can set the speed, although it rolls easily on level ground. 5 mowing heights. I got a matching cordless string trimmer that also works great (but it's got its own (smaller) battery). I have no stock in this company, lol.
    I've had a Ryobi trimmer for years, uses the same batteries as my tools. I haven't used it since we've had the yard guy but now that I'm taking on the mowing I'll probably get it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    We have a Kobalt bought at one of the big box stores, Lowes I think. It's worked great for five years or so. Had to replace of the batteries (it has two but can operate on one) but otherwise no issues. Mind you, we don't have a big yard and don't water it much so there's not a lot of mowing that gets done. But when the mower is called on, it performs like a champ every time.
    Certainly Lowe's, "Kobalt" is a house brand there. And Ryobi is exclusive to Home Depot.
    Glad to hear you guys are having good experiences with your battery mowers!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,216
    We've had an Ego mower for a few years. We've definitely been happy with having less hassle to start the mower, less maintenance, no need to get gas, and it's quieter and not as stinky. We've got an Ego chainsaw that uses the same battery, and I'm similarly happy with how much more convenient that is than my previous gas chainsaw.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    20,707
    Yes, I got the Ego mower because it had good reviews, is self propelled, and has a good range. I’ve been impressed so far. Some other battery electrics would be okay on a smaller yard, but not on mine. Of course, there are other brands that are pretty much equal too, just check the reviews before buying.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •