Thread: If Aliens Are Out There, We値l Meet Them in a Few Hundred Million Years

If Aliens Are Out There, We値l Meet Them in a Few Hundred Million Years

A new study indicates that aliens are probably out there, occupying half of the Universe, and we'll likely meet them in 200 million or to 2 billion years.
    The post If Aliens Are Out There, We値l Meet Them in a Few Hundred Million Years appeared first on Universe Today.

More...

Odds of Homo Sapiens being around in 200 million years are pretty slim......

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Odds of Homo Sapiens being around in 200 million years are pretty slim......
    Maybe, probably not as we are today, but possibly some descendent evolved from us could still be around. Dinosaurs existed over a similar time period, and we are (supposedly) smarter than them.
    I would think however that if our descendants are still around by then, that they would be, at the very least, beginning to colonize some of the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    Maybe, probably not as we are today, but possibly some descendent evolved from us could still be around. Dinosaurs existed over a similar time period, and we are (supposedly) smarter than them.
    I would think however that if our descendants are still around by then, that they would be, at the very least, beginning to colonize some of the galaxy.
    Dinosaurs were not a species and no species of dinosaur (or that of any other land based genus for that matter) has ever survived 200 million years. And the article doesn't say "Our Descendants" it says "We'll". Nitpicky? Sure, but science should never spew generalizations such as that.

Quote Originally Posted by ronin View Post
    Dinosaurs were not a species and no species of dinosaur (or that of any other land based genus for that matter) has ever survived 200 million years. And the article doesn't say "Our Descendants" it says "We'll". Nitpicky? Sure, but science should never spew generalizations such as that.
    True.

The crocodilian have been around for over 200million years... I think humans, aside from the threat of self extinction have a better chance than most for longevity, because they have the capability to quickly adapt to environmental changes. Possibly by 200 million years time they (or their descendant's) I would image will have the capability to completely control the environment.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    It is always fun to add probabilities to events with no evidence. Boltzmann brains for example. Aliens seem to be gaining popularity over supernatural beings. Then speculation adds another probability to meetings. Here facts can be manipulated like planet evidence and distances. Then multiply by a big number like the estimated number of stars.

Humans are gifted with imagination, a huge part of our success story. We also like the idea that anything we can imagine is possible. And maybe it is at some value of probability, such a useful device!

Useful to add a probabilistic meaning to the dilemma of meaninglessness. For me the hope of meeting aliens in millions of years does not sweeten my appreciation of the here and now by very much. Hey Ho!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    It is always fun to add probabilities to events with no evidence. Boltzmann brains for example. Aliens seem to be gaining popularity over supernatural beings. Then speculation adds another probability to meetings. Here facts can be manipulated like planet evidence and distances. Then multiply by a big number like the estimated number of stars.

Humans are gifted with imagination, a huge part of our success story. We also like the idea that anything we can imagine is possible. And maybe it is at some value of probability, such a useful device!

Useful to add a probabilistic meaning to the dilemma of meaninglessness. For me the hope of meeting aliens in millions of years does not sweeten my appreciation of the here and now by very much. Hey Ho!
    Absolutely,
    Personally I'd like to believe that we will discovery alien life within my lifetime, though this is a very unlikely pipe dream since my lifetime is rather insignificant in the grand scheme of things! This speculative estimate does however hit home the fact that overlapping existing alien species that maybe able to communicate with each other, may not be very common, but rather very rare!