View Poll Results: How spicy are you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zero -- I can't tolerate it. Gives me ulcers.

0 0%
  • I'll dip my chips in a mild salsa at a Mexican restaurant.

2 18.18%
  • I'll even eat jalapenos on my nachos!

6 54.55%
  • I add heat to nearly everything!

2 18.18%
  • "Almost everything"? I put sriracha on my corn flakes!

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How spice are you?

How spice are you?

Capsaicin-wise; I'm aware there are other spices but how much heat do you like?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have grown serranos and jalapenos, and dried and used then noodles. I didn't grow any this year but I think I should have. Don' get spicy food around here because my mother does not like spicy food that much. Also put hot pepper flakes one my tomato sandwiches at times.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I think I’m Posh, or maybe Sporty…
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I like a fair amount of heat, but not too much. For instance, I’ve tried a hot curry from a local restaurant that was too much for me. I’m not the one that is going to go for the super hot stuff. And I seem to be getting acid reflux more often these days, and sometimes need to take medicine for it, so I’m backing off a little too. Still, I regularly add a bit of dried red pepper to pizza, chili and other dishes. (I like the flavor of Dennison’s canned chili but only after I kick it up with some of a brand of chili powder I like, a bit of another chipotle powder, some dried red pepper flakes, and a fair amount of dried onion, with a little water.) I like tacos with hot sauce. Actually, I like a lot of Mexican (and Americanized Mexican) food with a bit of heat. Spicy Chinese and other asian too, but not too hot.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

No poll option here fits me. The amount I consume is zero, but it's not because I'm unable to endure it or am physically harmed by it. It's simply bad food, and I don't like to eat bad food.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    […]It's simply bad food, and I don't like to eat bad food.
    What do you mean by “bad food”? Do you mean you just don’t care for the flavor, chemical heat sensation, or what?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I think Iím Posh, or maybe SportyÖ
    Well done.

In this neck of the woods 'Mexican' food is still only a very minor part of dining - certainly 'genuine Mexican' food is probably pretty rare. Asian or Indian Subcontinental/Sri Lankan food is normally the spicy option. I am able to eat 'reasonably' hot food but I have struggled on occasion with what seemed to be an excessive amount of diced hot chillies in some Thai foods. So far I have not been forced to give up on a restaurant or market stall curry but have certainly started to to sweat etc. But I treat whole chillies with caution and I have certainly never been drawn into hot chilli eating contests.

My daughter started eating Indian curries at about 5 years old and can still eat hotter food than me. When she travelled through Malaysia and Thailand in her teens she had trouble convincing the market stall holders that yes, the blue eyed blond haired girl really was able to eat spicy food. Her children have been eating milder curries like Rogan Josh since they were about 4.

Wow, I certainly messed up that title!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I like a fair amount of heat, but not too much. For instance, I’ve tried a hot curry from a local restaurant that was too much for me. I’m not the one that is going to go for the super hot stuff. And I seem to be getting acid reflux more often these days, and sometimes need to take medicine for it, so I’m backing off a little too. Still, I regularly add a bit of dried red pepper to pizza, chili and other dishes. (I like the flavor of Dennison’s canned chili but only after I kick it up with some of a brand of chili powder I like, a bit of another chipotle powder, some dried red pepper flakes, and a fair amount of dried onion, with a little water.) I like tacos with hot sauce. Actually, I like a lot of Mexican (and Americanized Mexican) food with a bit of heat. Spicy Chinese and other asian too, but not too hot.
    Never had curry. like to try some someday. When I lived in the big city there was at least one Indian restaurant but never went in. One summer I worked there I went to th an international fest on the other side of the harbor and had Kim chi and like it. Friday mornings there is a farmers market that has a Thai food stale that has curry but when I am in town on Fridays it is usually right before I have to work for the auction company and by the time I am done the market is closed.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I think I’m Posh, or maybe Sporty…
    Well played, young one.

Don't know if the poll works for me.

I eat hotter curries than my (Indian) ex, and generally have to work to convince a restaurant to give me "Indian-hot" not "Kiwi-hot".

On the other hand, Jalapenos upset my digestive system, so I'm careful with "Mexican" food. At home I just use the same chilies I use for curry.

But either way; I don't need everything to be hot. e.g. I quite like the taste of a plain (un-sauced, un-gravied, un-condimented) boiled potato.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Never had curry. like to try some someday. When I lived in the big city there was at least one Indian restaurant but never went in.
    Iíve only had it rarely, and I havenít really developed a taste for Indian food. I had a Thai curry at a restaurant I was surprised to find fairly close to my house (some streets over, but a five minute drive). They warned me and I went lower on heat than I had planned. It was still very spicy. It was . . . interesting. I could eat it after I got used to it, but it was too hot to really enjoy. Iím also not sure I really cared for the flavor.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    But either way; I don't need everything to be hot. e.g. I quite like the taste of a plain (un-sauced, un-gravied, un-condimented) boiled potato.
    Yes, I often like a baked potato with a bit of butter and salt, or chicken or turkey without a lot of stuff added. But other times . . .

One of meal kits I mentioned in another thread was a too mild Mexican style meal. I added some (not too many) red pepper flakes, and it was amazing how much that pepped it up. I think part of it is that it gets the saliva flowing.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Never had curry. like to try some someday. When I lived in the big city there was at least one Indian restaurant but never went in. One summer I worked there I went to th an international fest on the other side of the harbor and had Kim chi and like it. Friday mornings there is a farmers market that has a Thai food stale that has curry but when I am in town on Fridays it is usually right before I have to work for the auction company and by the time I am done the market is closed.
    Just in case you are unaware, while Thai curry is tasty in its own right it is also pretty different to an Indian curry. I would have thought that your state capital city of Fredericton might have a good Indian Restaurant. We only spent a night there but had a very nice, non Indian, meal. And we were impressed by the number of interesting restaurants, for a small city, we passed while looking for somewhere to eat.

Well played, young one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Wow, I certainly messed up that title!
    Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Well done.
    You set up the joke so perfectly, I had to go for it.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroesí wings we fly!

I've been a Formula One racing fan since the mid 1960s. Just recently I learned that Red Bull team manager Christian Horner is married to Ginger Spice.
    Oh, and I bought a new bottle of Sriracha yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    In this neck of the woods 'Mexican' food is still only a very minor part of dining - certainly 'genuine Mexican' food is probably pretty rare. ...
    You need to specify which Mexican food 'cause there are several - some very hot, some moderately, some mild, some not at all. It depends on the region and the outside influences.

Then there's Tex-Mex and Taco Bell.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

None of the poll options fit me. Used to be I would not only tolerate extreme Scoville numbers but enjoy them. Now, not so much. I would select the third poll option but jalapenos aren't particularly spicy. The fourth option is technically correct (I'll add heat to most foods) but it implies adding a lot of heat, which I don't do anymore. So, maybe a 3.5 on the poll?

Don't know if the poll works for me.

I eat hotter curries than my (Indian) ex, and generally have to work to convince a restaurant to give me "Indian-hot" not "Kiwi-hot".
    I don't know what it's like in New Zealand, but here in the UK the hottest curries (Madras, Vindaloo, Phall) are not of native Indian origin--Madras and Phall created in the UK, Vindaloo in Portuguese Goa after the Portuguese introduced the chili. My Indian friends find these curries more amusing than edible--one of them suggested that they were invented in order to get revenge for the British Raj, because only Brits ever eat them.
    British people turning up in Indian restaurants and getting competitive about who can eat the hottest curry was famously lampooned by the Goodness Gracious Me sketch "Going For An English". ("What's the blandest thing on the menu?") They also take a pretty broad swipe at other undesirable behaviour exhibited by drunk people in late-night eateries, which quite takes me back to my own time as a server.

I'm with you on that. If my curry comes garnished with a couple of chilis, I eat them rather than set them aside; and I'll eat anyone else's chilis if they don't want them. But I don't add hot sauce to food that doesn't come with it; it's about appreciating the flavours provided, rather than making everything taste the same.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    What do you mean by “bad food”? Do you mean you just don’t care for the flavor, chemical heat sensation...
    Both, although the issue with flavor is not so much that the spiciness adds something bad as that it suppresses everything else around it that would have been good.

Both, although the issue with flavor is not so much that the spiciness adds something bad as that it suppresses everything else around it that would have been good.
    Well, de gustibus non disputandum est.

Grant Hutchison
    Science Denier and Government Sponsored Propagandist. Here to help.
    Blog

23. 2021-Sep-30, 03:41 AM
    Reason
    Duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    You need to specify which Mexican food 'cause there are several - some very hot, some moderately, some mild, some not at all. It depends on the region and the outside influences.

Then there's Tex-Mex and Taco Bell.
    I was trying, unsuccessfully obviously, to imply by writing 'Mexican' rather than Mexican that the range of foods claiming to be of that genre is very wide. I am a complete amateur in regards to the various types. And we are about to get our first ever Taco Bell restaurant in Perth - just what we need another mediocre, I assume, Fast Food chain.

I was trying, unsuccessfully obviously, to imply by writing 'Mexican' rather than Mexican that the range of foods claiming to be of that genre is very wide. I am a complete amateur in regards to the various types. And we are about to get our first ever Taco Bell restaurant in Perth - just what we need another mediocre, I assume, Fast Food chain.
    Oh, no; Taco Bell is in no way mediocre. They are widely regarded as the worst fast food chain in the USA. And still very popular, which I guess says something about my fellow Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Oh, no; Taco Bell is in no way mediocre. They are widely regarded as the worst fast food chain in the USA. And still very popular, which I guess says something about my fellow Americans.
    Meh. Sure, it isnít haute cuisine, but it isnít anywhere near the worst food Iíve eaten. In my case, it does help that there is a store a very short drive from my house and it was on my drive from work, so coming home it was an easy and usually quick place to pick up dinner if I didnít feel like cooking. I still go there from time to time.

I was annoyed during the pandemic that they pared down the items they sell, and dropped my favorites. I still like the crunchy tacos, but as an occasional item, just not all the time. Off and on they offer a large nacho tray, which is surprisingly well loaded. I occasionally get that as well.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Definitely fast food. They have a limited number of ingredients which they combine in various ways. But they are fast, inexpensive and taste well enough, just not something I would want as a regular diet. For me, the crunchy taco is kind of like the McDonaldís cheeseburger - simple, and something I like to eat now and then.

I expect Mexican food in the US is analogous to Indian food in the UK. There are traditional and Americanized styles, TexMex is its own thing, and even locally there are different takes on Mexican food (like the locally started Jimboyís tacos, definitely Americanized food). And I often cook various Mexican style recipes.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Well I am now more educated about Taco Bell. Previously most of my knowledge of it came from the movie "Demolition Man".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Yeah, and I was going to say the same thing about Indian curry. The curries in the north (near Kashmir or Nepal) are very different from those in different regions further south. I once had Indian food with a friend (from Pakistan) who wanted to go into the restaurant first and ask them what regional food they served (he preferred the food from the north. And then there is curry from Malaysia which is generally milder. When I think of spicy food, I also think of Chinese (specifically Sichuan) food, and also Korean food.
    As above, so below

I suppose you can say that if you don't like the spices in the first place. Personally I like it, so to call it "bad" rather than "not my preference" seems a little bit unkind to me.
    As above, so below

Well I am now more educated about Taco Bell. Previously most of my knowledge of it came from the movie "Demolition Man".
    Heh, which is essentially no information at all beyond the name. The crunchy taco I mentioned has a crunchy corn shell, flavored ground beef, lettuce and cheese. Very simple, but I like the taste and crunch. There are a variety of sauce flavors available from mild to a quite hot but tasty version they call ďDiablo.Ē The sauce adds substantially to the flavor. They also sell other tacos with more stuff, burritos and other common Mexican foods, and have breakfast versions. One thing I personally donít like is that they are adding sour cream to a lot of items they didnít used to. I donít care for the flavor so I have to remember to tell them to keep it off.

Iíve heard they do some things differently in other countries to account for local preferences so details may vary.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser