Thread: Comet Bernardinelli-Bernstein (C/2014 UN271)

Comet Bernardinelli-Bernstein (C/2014 UN271)

"After 3.5 million-year hiatus, the largest comet ever discovered is headed our way"

https://www.space.com/bernardinelli-...-approach-2031

An enormous comet — possibly the largest one ever detected — is barreling toward the inner solar system with an estimated arrival time of 10 years from now, according to new research published on the preprint server arXiv.org.

The comet, known as the Bernardinelli-Bernstein comet (or C/2014 UN271, in astro-speak), is at least 62 miles (100 kilometers) across — about 1,000 times more massive than a typical comet. It's so large that astronomers previously mistook it for a dwarf planet, according to a statement announcing the comet’s discovery in June 2021.

But a closer analysis of the object revealed that it was moving rapidly through the Oort cloud — a vast scrapyard of icy rocks, billions of miles from Earth. The object appeared to be headed our way, and it even had a glowing tail, or "coma", behind it — a clear indication of an icy comet approaching the relatively warm inner solar system.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

A bit over hyped as far as the general public is concerned. Amateur astronomers are going to need a fairly large scope to see it.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Well BB is dawdling, only 29 AU to go and ten years to do it. But we will need telescopes to see it, it says in the link, as it sweeps past Saturn’s orbit.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Are any of the planets or asteroids on its path? It does say inner solar system in the article.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Are any of the planets or asteroids on its path? It does say inner solar system in the article.
    I’m guessing the author meant “inner” as in “not hundreds of AU distant.” The closest approach only takes the comet near Saturn’s orbit.

When I hear "inner solar system." I'm thinking inside of Mars orbit. I've read several headlines claiming "Giant Comet Approaching Earth." Read "Burnham's Celestial Handbook," lot's of stars are approaching Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    When I hear "inner solar system." I'm thinking inside of Mars orbit. I've read several headlines claiming "Giant Comet Approaching Earth." Read "Burnham's Celestial Handbook," lot's of stars are approaching Earth.
    That was what I took it as. Still there are plenty of asteroids its path for a comet that size - so my expectation was to see some of them deflected towards us.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    That was what I took it as. Still there are plenty of asteroids its path for a comet that size - so my expectation was to see some of them deflected towards us.
    Or it could break into several pieces.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I used to have a doctor named Bernstein. Based solely on that experience, the comet will be late for its appointment.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.