Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Space Telescope: The Next Generation (James Webb)

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    NASA had mentioned earlier that July 2021 was the next target. But I get you, 73 here.
    The next biggie for me is boots on the Moon before I check out.
    Boots on the moon for me too and I am also 73.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

When boots were last on the moon, we were too young to go. Now we're too old!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

"James Webb passes critical test as telescope moves toward 2021 launch"

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2020...critical-test/

The James Webb Space Telescope — a collaboration between NASA, the European Space Agency (ESA), and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA) — has successfully completed a critical pre-flight milestone and test that paves the way for continued final testing of the most complex telescope ever built.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Just a quick resurrection of an old thread I mentioned in another thread . . . I’ve been looking through this one, seeing early estimates of a 2011 launch, then a delay to 2013, and later a delay to 2019, and the most recent saying 2021. I wouldn’t be surprised if it ends up being 2022 in reality, given the latest news.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Hi Van Rijn,

It was originally due to lunch in 2007!

Quote Originally Posted by 7cscb View Post
    Hi Van Rijn,

It was originally due to lunch in 2007!
    Oh sure, and there were multiple reschedules between 2013 and 2019, I was just mentioning what people had listed here. There are probably other examples but I don’t remember any other project with so many rescheduling estimates.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I don’t remember any other project with so many rescheduling estimates.
    This has probably been posted before, but is still appropriate:

https://xkcd.com/2014/
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

"JWST launch slips to November"

https://spacenews.com/jwst-launch-slips-to-november/

American and European officials acknowledged June 1 that the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope will likely slip from the end of October to at least mid-November because of delays linked to the Ariane 5.

At a European Space Agency briefing about the space telescope, representatives of the agency and Arianespace said they were finalizing reviews to correct a payload fairing problem found on two Ariane 5 launches last year that had grounded the rocket since August. Arianespace described the issue last month as “a less than fully nominal separation of the fairing” on those two launches.

“The origin of the problem has been found. Corrective actions have been taken,” Daniel de Chambure, acting head of Ariane 5 adaptations and future missions at ESA, said. “The qualification review has started, so we should be able to confirm all that within a few days or weeks.”
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Now is a good time to talk about James webb Space Telescope.

James webb space telescope is very well known for its capabilities and at the same time it is also very well known for its delays. People have been waiting for its launch for nearly a decade now. Finally it is on its way to get launched. It has now reached French Guiana. Now it is a good time to recall about its capabilities and the gains that NASA is going to make after it will be launched.

Andrew @Cosmic_Andrew1

James Webb Space Telescope:

- 300 single point failure items
    -50 individual deployments
    -178 release mechanism
    -400 pullies
    -8 Deployment motors(sun shield alone)
    -1312 Feet of cables
    -Propulsion & RCS system

All this, plus more https://t.co/2k3Jzdhkmo

https://twitter.com/Cosmic_Andrew1/s...FBQ3qODtaqrRuA

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Andrew @Cosmic_Andrew1

-178 release mechanism
    -400 pullies
    -1312 Feet of cables
    -Propulsion & RCS system

Go big or stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    Andrew @Cosmic_Andrew1

-178 release mechanism
    -400 pullies
    -1312 Feet of cables
    -Propulsion & RCS system

I've got my fingers crossed that all that goes well, including the launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Deep Science View Post
    James webb space telescope is very well known for its capabilities and at the same time it is also very well known for its delays. People have been waiting for its launch for nearly a decade now. Finally it is on its way to get launched. It has now reached French Guiana. Now it is a good time to recall about its capabilities and the gains that NASA is going to make after it will be launched.
    Yep, just for the record, there is a nearly 20 year old thread here on it:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...n-(James-Webb)

You can see comments there as it was delayed again and again. To me, it won’t be real until it is in its halo orbit and functioning properly.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

What does CQ think of the objections to its name? I was completely unaware of any issues about Webb until this news story broke.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2021-Oct-20 at 09:46 PM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Maybe a hostage to fortune, I thought immediately of captain Matthew Webb, first swimmer to cross the English Channel, who drowned trying the same in Niagra Falls. I have no idea what he made of homosexuality which was illegal at that time. So this is to say “no comment”
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Very few of us have no bad behaviors James Webb included. The telescope was named after him as administrator inclusive of all his life. No need to change the name IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    What does CQ think of the objections to its name? I was completely aware of any issues about Webb until this news story broke.
    I assume you meant you were completely *un*aware.

Anyway, I’m getting really tired of the idea of holding people in the past to current cultural standards, and despite what important things they accomplished, that they should be erased for perceived faults. I’ve been seeing this in regards to, for example, authors that in some cases were very progressive for their time, but don’t measure up today, so some act as if they were at fault for not being sufficiently prescient.

From what I can see in the article there is no evidence he actively persecuted gay people. It looks like at most he just had a common view on the subject.

I will admit my own views on the subject have changed dramatically since I was young. You have to understand that when I was young it simply wasn’t something commonly seen or discussed, and discussion that I did hear about it was quite negative. My views changed as I got older along with changes in general in American society. The “me” as a teenager would be astonished at some of changes today. It’s just very different.

I expect people born in ‘80s or later (as attitudes really started to change a lot) have no idea what views were common in earlier decades. Webb was born in 1906, after all, so he was close to the age of my grandparents, and the attitude in earlier decades was much more extreme than even when I was a kid.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Webb also served for the federal government for a number of years, including those years when anti-Gay practices were national policy. As mentioned above, he was a product of his time. And isn't this discussion kinda rambling far afield into politics?
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Oct-20 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Webb's problematic history isn't really the topic of this thread, going by a literal reading of the OP. This sidetrack is also problematic here, given it's social/socio-political nature. Best to drop it and talk what would be the telescope itself by any other name.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Webb also served for the federal government for a number of years, including those years when anti-Gay practices were national policy. As mentioned above, he was a product of his time. And isn't this discussion kinda rambling far afield into politics?
    Is it politics? I was focusing on the cultural changes as I remember them and the common erasure idea today, which I suppose can have political aspects but I see it as primarily social, with a lot of it playing out online where it is so easy for causes to gain momentum.

Anyway, that Wikipedia article was extremely informative, thanks. Much of that was a little before my time but it adds context and explains some of why things were as I remember them.

Edit: I didn’t see the mod note until after posting this. I’ll stop here.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Now is a good time to talk about James webb Space Telescope.

To add to my abbreviated comment above, the JWST has ambitious technology to achieve ambitious goals. It promises to provide findings in cosmology, planetary science, stellar evolution, galactic evolution and even exoplanet analysis. By the time I leave this planet JWST may still be going strong and providing ever-deeper insights into the universe. My personal hope - and what gets me most excited for JWST - is that it can start searching for the nearest Earth-like atmospheres and begin crafting a catalog of where we want to visit first.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2021-Oct-21 at 12:12 AM.

Yep, just for the record, there is a nearly 20 year old thread here on it:

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...n-(James-Webb)

You can see comments there as it was delayed again and again. To me, it won’t be real until it is in its halo orbit and functioning properly.
    Good point Van Rijn. There are 308 posts on the original thread. So what is so new about the project that we need a new thread?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidLondon View Post
    Good point Van Rijn. There are 308 posts on the original thread. So what is so new about the project that we need a new thread?
    Well, it doesn’t, but for myself, I don’t think it hurts either, and I wouldn’t expect a new poster of being aware of it either. I mainly posted it so people, especially the new poster Deep Science, could see the history here as each delay happened if they wanted.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

What does CQ think of the objections to its name? I was completely unaware of any issues about Webb until this news story broke.
    I just noticed that on the NYTimes website -- an article by Overbye. I wish they allowed comments after that article -- sometimes they do, but too often they don't. My comment would be, the objections are about certain actions by Webb over 70 years ago. I think it is entirely inappropriate to sit in judgment, in 2021, of cultural attitudes and actions taken over 70 years ago. Yes, those attitudes were wrong. When did our society in general recognize this? Five or ten years ago? And of course many in this country have yet to recognize this. If fact, part of the political polarization in this country stems from this issue.

I haven't studied Webb's contributions. But I wouldn't throw him under the bus for a particular attitude he held that was basically the general cultural consensus 70 years ago.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by PetersCreek View Post
    Webb's problematic history isn't really the topic of this thread, going by a literal reading of the OP. This sidetrack is also problematic here, given it's social/socio-political nature. Best to drop it and talk what would be the telescope itself by any other name.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

An article on JWST on the BBC news site:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59201590

It’s in French Guiana and it was checked over for shipping damage - none found, it looks good. It really is looking like it will launch this time, scheduled for December 18.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

An article on JWST on the BBC news site:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59201590

It’s in French Guiana and it was checked over for shipping damage - none found, it looks good. It really is looking like it will launch this time, scheduled for December 18.
    I am so absurdly hyped for the launch of JWST. I swear I will constantly check and recheck for months on end to see what things JWST has discovered.

Personally, I am really hoping to see exoplanets of the size of Earth, especially those that have water in one form or another.

There has been an “incident” but hopefully not a major one. Basically, something slipped that caused a sudden significant vibration in the telescope so now they need to check that it didn’t cause any problems. It will cause a delay of at least a few days. Of course there had to be something . . .

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...-has-occurred/

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

There has been an “incident” but hopefully not a major one. Basically, something slipped that caused a sudden significant vibration in the telescope so now they need to check that it didn’t cause any problems. It will cause a delay of at least a few days. Of course there had to be something . . .

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021...-has-occurred/
    They should engrave a shamrock into the metal of this thing, it needs all the luck it can get.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

They should engrave a shamrock into the metal of this thing, it needs all the luck it can get.
    Given the track record, the engraving would probably lead to some fault.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser