Thread: Happy 20th anniversary, BAUT!

Happy 20th anniversary, BAUT!

From what I can tell, the first message posted on this incarnation of the forum (or, more accurately, what's been preserved into this incarnation) is this one, posted by The Bad Astronomer himself on this date in 2001.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Who is the Bad astronomer guy, I think he wrote a book or two. I have been here since 2005 not as long as some others.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I've been around long enough to remember when the forum looked like this.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    More organized now.

I joined in 2007, so I’ve been part of the board for more than half its history, which is crazy because when I joined it seemed like it had been going on so long already!
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

From what I can tell, the first message posted on this incarnation of the forum (or, more accurately, what's been preserved into this incarnation) is this one, posted by The Bad Astronomer himself on this date in 2001.
    Yes, as I recall, the actual first thread consisted of a single post a few days earlier as Phil was testing the software. He mentioned it at a skeptics forum I used to frequent and a bunch of us signed up on or around October 16. The board wasn't available for general posting yet, and he deleted that first test thread, so the oldest remaining thread is the one you've linked. I'd somehow thought it was this thread, started by Hook just a minute after Phil's. Maybe it's because my first post is preserved in that one. As usual, I was late to the party with the 44th post.

And at least three of the people recorded there are still regularly posting here.

I can remember when it worked better.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I can remember when it worked better.
    I was about to write that the forum was running the best it has for weeks until I tried to attach a small image and kept being told that it exceeded the site limit by 2.85GB when it was only 472KB. Looking around I see that you are having what might well be a similar problem - as mentioned by you on the 'forum clock running fast' thread.

Jump forward just a bit, to June 2001, and there are posts by me.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Nice to see you posting, ToSeek (and not as an Admin).

Starting in 2004, I suppose I qualify as one of the board’s old ones, but not as one of the first ones.

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    I joined in 2007, so I’ve been part of the board for more than half its history, which is crazy because when I joined it seemed like it had been going on so long already!
    Yeah, I remember in the early days after I started there were a lot of references to past Nancy Lieder discussions back in 2003. That had apparently been pretty big. She was someone who claimed aliens talked to her telepathically about a rogue planet that was somehow invisible and would come by to devastate the Earth. A surprising number of people took her seriously. Well, maybe not so surprising anymore. With the way nonsense spreads on the internet, it seems there is always someone that will believe, no matter how ridiculous the claim.

Of course, there were others that made similar claims and 2012 became the next commonly accepted date, though Nancy didn’t seem to get as much notice that time. We had hundreds of CT threads prior to 2012 with all sorts of claims, but what nobody ever seemed to manage was to provide coordinates for their claimed rogue planet so the claim could be checked.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Oh, and as I’ve mentioned before, I found this site because a friend had asked me some questions about the Fox Apollo Hoax special, which I had deliberately avoided when it aired. I did a search for online discussions and found this place and also found answers to his questions (he wasn’t really a hoax believer, but did want to know the reality behind certain claims). I learned a lot about Apollo technical details just being involved in discussions in hoax claim threads.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Nice to see you posting, ToSeek (and not as an Admin).

Starting in 2004, I suppose I qualify as one of the board’s old ones, but not as one of the first ones.

Yeah, I remember in the early days after I started there were a lot of references to past Nancy Lieder discussions back in 2003. That had apparently been pretty big. She was someone who claimed aliens talked to her telepathically about a rogue planet that was somehow invisible and would come by to devastate the Earth. A surprising number of people took her seriously. Well, maybe not so surprising anymore. With the way nonsense spreads on the internet, it seems there is always someone that will believe, no matter how ridiculous the claim.

Of course, there were others that made similar claims and 2012 became the next commonly accepted date, though Nancy didn’t seem to get as much notice that time. We had hundreds of CT threads prior to 2012 with all sorts of claims, but what nobody ever seemed to manage was to provide coordinates for their claimed rogue planet so the claim could be checked.
    You can tell me 2003 is as far from 2012 as 2012 is from today, show me the math, show me on a timeline, but I still won’t believe it.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Oh, and as I’ve mentioned before, I found this site because a friend had asked me some questions about the Fox Apollo Hoax special, which I had deliberately avoided when it aired. I did a search for online discussions and found this place and also found answers to his questions (he wasn’t really a hoax believer, but did want to know the reality behind certain claims). I learned a lot about Apollo technical details just being involved in discussions in hoax claim threads.
    That is the reason that I joined albeit a little later than you. I knew some about Apollo but learned more from here, apollohoax.net and ISF.

I joined in 2004 after Phil answered a question I had over on the JREF forum, as it was then. I liked that and didn't like the way things were going there so I mostly moved over here.
    Speaking of JREF, I can't help thinking things might have been better there had Phil not resigned as president to pursue his failed TV show.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Weirdly, I think I got here from the MythBusters forum.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Wow! Just Wow!
    Solfe

One of my go-to forums, even though I don't post all that much.

I don't remember exactly when I joined, but it was maybe around 2002 or 2003. I was on the now long defunct New York Times buzzboard forum. There were a few folks there talking about the upcoming pole shift and global catastrophe that was about to occur in May 2003, caused by a non-existent planet hypothesized by an individual who shall not be named. Some folks there pointed to the Bad Astronomy site as a reference to accurate information about why such a pole shift was impossible, and I joined. Shortly after that I bought Phil's book. I especially liked Phil's use of bad astronomy in movies and TV as an opportunity to teach about physics and astronomy. I survived the shotgun wedding of the Bad Astronomy forum with Universe today. I also survived the Great Banning caused by intense arguments over a question of mathematics that is probably still off limits to discuss, and many other interesting goings on in this community. Even though I've never met anyone on this board in person, I feel that I knew some of them as well as many of my IRL circle of aquaintences. I am proud to say that I haven't even earned a single time-out from the admins.