Thread: New Moon photography

New Moon photography

Greetings,

I used to be a regular contributor here, but over the past 10 years or so, I have been mostly absent from the board, mainly because I haven't had much to contribute, but I'm back. I recently took up the hobby of trying to photograph the new moon. So far my record is a picture of a tiny sliver of a waxing crescent moon 29 hours after the new moon. Here in the Eastern USA, the moon will be 25 hours old at sunset this evening. I have a Canon 90D with a Tamron 150-600 lens, which I will have mounted on a tripod. Could anyone make any suggestion about what camera settings to use? I tried different settings, but nothing came out too sharp, in part because of the ever present summer haze, which should be gone today, but I've also seen conflicting suggestions about whether to use low ISO with a slow shutter speed or high ISO with a fast shutter. Does anyone else do this and if so, what camera settings should I use?

TIA.

Welcome back! And hang around, we need more participating members. The forum's been having some issues, but hope is on the horizon. I'll be making a post about that later today.

As for the ISO/shutter speed issue, can you try both? Or is the opportunity too fleeting?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Welcome back! And hang around, we need more participating members. The forum's been having some issues, but hope is on the horizon. I'll be making a post about that later today.

As for the ISO/shutter speed issue, can you try both? Or is the opportunity too fleeting?
    Yes I wil try many settings, but it's kind of like the old film days when you had to wait until the film got developed. Until I get home and look at the pictures on my HD monitor, I don't know if I have a good picture or a great picture. FYI, I know instantly when it is a lousy picture.

Years ago, I thought one of the members made a monthly thread talking about new moon photography. I was hoping comment on that thread, but maybe said member is no longer on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by jfribrg View Post
    Yes I wil try many settings, but it's kind of like the old film days when you had to wait until the film got developed. Until I get home and look at the pictures on my HD monitor, I don't know if I have a good picture or a great picture. FYI, I know instantly when it is a lousy picture.

Years ago, I thought one of the members made a monthly thread talking about new moon photography. I was hoping comment on that thread, but maybe said member is no longer on the site.
    The great thing about digital photography is that bad pictures don't cost anything!

We certainly have a member who posts monthly new moon sighting opportunities.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by jfribrg View Post
    Hey, jfribrg. Centaur still does that (here, for example). He might have some useful recommendations on camera settings.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I haven't taken any pictures of the moon in years, but if you consider it a sunlit rock, and bracket around exposure for a sunlit rock here on Earth, you should be close.

Stacking multiple images with appropriate software makes a huge difference in final quality. I see that RegiStax is still available for doing this.

No photo (I was driving), but there was a very nice first crescent Moon Saturday (the 6th) evening, with Jupiter off to its left.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Here's a quick update. Conditions looked close to perfect with only about 10% cloud cover, so we decided to drive to the best location that we knew about that was within driving distance from our location near Philadelphia PA, which is Big Pocono State Park. As far as I can tell, this park exists solely to give the public fantastic views of the sunrise and sunset. We got there a couple of minutes before sunset, but as luck would have it, the Moon was behind the only cloud in the sky and there was some haze on the western horizon. About 10 minutes before moonset, we finally saw it. The moon was 25 hours old, which is a new record for me. My previous record was 29 hours. By my calculations, a 29 hour old moon gives you an extra 7.5 minutes between sunset and moonset, and that does make a difference. I got some pictures, but none of them were good and even with a high resolution monitor, you can just barely make out the moon. The next new moon will probably be impossible because it will be only 14 hours old at sunset, and will be coming off of a total solar eclipse, so the Moon will be even closer to the sun than usual. It looks like the next realistic chance that I will have to get a picture of a newer moon in my part of the world will be 10/26/2022 when the moon will be about 23 hours old at moonset.

Here's the story of a photo taken at the precise instant of a New Moon. Hope it inspires you to go for a new personal best
    http://www.astrophoto.fr/new_moon_2013july8.html