Thread: Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...

Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...

If any of you have noticed that I was away for a long time and only posted every week or so, it was because of the computer problems I have been experiencing.

It started 7 weeks ago when I noticed there was a beeping sound on my computer and it suddenly froze. I called Compaq support center, paid $40 for the extended warranty, and they told me after about 2 hours that it was a memory card problem. I looked at it for a day and then said that the memory cards were fine. They told me then that it was a motherboard problem, and that I needed to get a new one. Later, they said I had to pay $200 to get the hardware support...

We said that was too much, and my dad asked for some alternatives. They said we could take it to a local Radio Shack. They told us it would take 2 weeks and that it was guaranteed to be fixed. However, it took 7 weeks instead, (because motherboards are that hard to find), and it ended up costing almost $300.

But the thing was... when we got home, the computer with the motherboard wasn't fixed. Instead, it began malfunctioning and froze. In addition, they put a plastic plate over our headphone jack, USB port, etc. so that we couldn't use it. We were so frustrated that it didn't work that we just put in our old mouse, and suddenly, the computer worked!

After many dollars of phone bills, wasted hours, wasted money (about $500)...I can't believe what happened.

I don't know if this the tech support's fault or not, but I can't help feel too sorry for them. My parents are even more angry and thinking of filing a lawsuit against Compaq. Does that make any sense? :-?

Re: Trivial lawsuits are stupid, but listen to my story...

Quote Originally Posted by Brady Yoon
    If any of you have noticed that I was away for a long time and only posted every week or so, it was because of the computer problems I have been experiencing.

It started 7 weeks ago when I noticed there was a beeping sound on my computer and it suddenly froze. I called Compaq support center, paid $40 for the extended warranty, and they told me after about 2 hours that it was a memory card problem. I looked at it for a day and then said that the memory cards were fine. They told me then that it was a motherboard problem, and that I needed to get a new one. Later, they said I had to pay $200 to get the hardware support...

We said that was too much, and my dad asked for some alternatives. They said we could take it to a local Radio Shack. They told us it would take 2 weeks and that it was guaranteed to be fixed. However, it took 7 weeks instead, (because motherboards are that hard to find), and it ended up costing almost $300.

But the thing was... when we got home, the computer with the motherboard wasn't fixed. Instead, it began malfunctioning and froze. In addition, they put a plastic plate over our headphone jack, USB port, etc. so that we couldn't use it. We were so frustrated that it didn't work that we just put in our old mouse, and suddenly, the computer worked!

After many dollars of phone bills, wasted hours, wasted money (about $500)...I can't believe what happened.

I don't know if this the tech support's fault or not, but I can't help feel too sorry for them. My parents are even more angry and thinking of filing a lawsuit against Compaq. Does that make any sense? :-?
    It wouldn't be worth the time and effort to file a law suit. Maybe small claims court, but for a couple of hundred dollars, not worth it. The lawyers fees alone will be cost you much more then the computer was worth.

Ans never think of filing a lawsuit because you think (not you personally) that it's "the principle of it". I speak from personal experience.

That said, easiest thing to do is write Compaq a nasty letter, and don't buy from them again. Dell, from what I've experienced, has about the best track record for computer hardware stability. Unfortunately, with computers becoming more and more like comodities, quality suffers across the board. Pretty much a turkey shoot.

Or better still, go to a local computer shop and have a plain white box built. Might cost a little more money, but you have a place to bring it back to if you do have problems.

Generally, I find tech support is only usefull if I've already diagnosed the problem with 100% certainty. For instance, If I spill soda on my laptop, open it up, and find oxidation on the motherboard, I know its a motherboard problem.
    Seems to me the coorporate diagnosis process consists of throwing darts at a list.

Quote Originally Posted by AT
    Generally, I find tech support is only usefull if I've already diagnosed the problem with 100% certainty. For instance, If I spill soda on my laptop, open it up, and find oxidation on the motherboard, I know its a motherboard problem.
    Seems to me the coorporate diagnosis process consists of throwing darts at a list.
    That pretty much sums it up.
    With the tight magins that all the large computer companies work with nowadays, any part that has to be replaced is a loss of income. Most companies hope you'll just go out and buy a new machine.

Did they tell you why they put the plastic plate over the headphone jack/USB port? That doesn't make *any* sense to me!

I could tell you a hard-to-believe horror story from my experience with Dell (but I won't because it would take forever even by my long-winded standard). Bottom line is that I wasted my money buying their PC and the extended warranty. I did get 2 years out of the machine, and also came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to just buy a new machine than engage them in a legal battle for a few hundred dollars.

In a very odd coincidence, right after my experience with Dell l had an opportunity to chat very candidly with someone who ran one of their call centers (my employer was considering buying a site they were vacating). They confirmed my suspicions that their goal is to be the lowest-cost provider, and that the occassional horror story is an acceptable cost. We talked at length about what they pay their employees, their strategies for cost-avoidance, and so on. I accepted what they said because of their position of authority and because it was the only thing that seemed to explain how poorly I got treated and how badly I got screwed.

I bought my next computer from Comp USA. I wanted to be able to walk in, set it down, and just say "Fix it please." Turned out to be a good move because right on schedule, after 2 years of use, the mother board and hard drive fried. Thank god I was able to actually meet somebody and talk to them in person and get my problem solved.

Bottom line is that, as someone said, they have become a commodity and it is a crapshoot. But I will not buy anything of significance on-line anymore, and I do not go to the lowest cost provider of goods for much of anything anymore. Without meaning to start another Wal-Mart thread, Dell is the Wal-Mart of computers, and it is just not worth it in the long run.