Thread: Have you ever experienced internet bullying?

Have you ever experienced internet bullying?

Me- no...not really

Well...do death threats count?

Yeah, I'm going to be "first up against the wall" when the anarchist revolution comes (no Christians allowed, apparently).

And then there was a person who thought I was using my real name online...yeah, that's right...we're all using our real names... He got a little upset.

Other than that, no, not at all.

yes

one another forum

The person threatened physical violence

It also possibley escallated to nuisance telephone calls from someone claiming to be my ISP ordering me to make changes to my website in light of the events of 9/11 or my account would be deleted. It cost a fortune on calls to my ISP to verify it was a hoax.

Wow, Sticks. Do you know how it started?

Quote Originally Posted by beskeptical
    Wow, Sticks. Do you know how it started?
    Not exactly sure

Someone was upset when I posted a comment on a WWF (World Wrestling Federation) how the World Wildlife Fund had won some kind of injunction against the WWF - But I do not know if that was it

That's really scary Sticks. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I guess those wrestling forums are hardcore.

Sometimes I'm afraid that may happen, but it hasn't so far.

Hasn't happened so far, but it's only a matter of time, methinks.

I was playing a chess game on Yahoo (which I do as often as I visit here), and after salvaging a draw from a lost position (via a perpetual check), my opponent proceeded to verbally attack me in a very offensive manner. He called me a coward, then a sissy, then came a series of nouns that are slang for various body parts both male and female. He didn't stop there, he kept going, mixing and matching insults in a rather random manner. I could have clicked the ignore button, but I was kind of fascinated with how immature a person can be. Not having encountered such insults since I was a child (dealing with schoolyard bullies), I was taken by surprise. I had forgotten how vulgar a person can be. The anonymity that the internet provides makes these types of people even more viscious.

I think the anonymity of the net makes it easier for most people to be callous. My experience is that the closer you get to someone and the more you get to know them personally, the harder it is to not like them.

I see it all the time in contract negotiations. At internal strategy meetings people are all tough and hard core and speak of the other involved parties in pretty cold and objevtive terms. Then everyone comes to the table, meet other real humans, whole people - and reason and civility usually win the day.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    Then everyone comes to the table, meet other real humans, whole people - and reason and civility usually win the day.
    Also known as hypocricy [-X

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjumperdon
    I think the anonymity of the net makes it easier for most people to be callous. My experience is that the closer you get to someone and the more you get to know them personally, the harder it is to not like them.
    I've observed the opposite. I've been online for over ten years and made the acquaintance of many people I first met online or over the phone and I have to say that many people I liked from a distance I couldn't stand in person.

Why are you waving the finger at me Sticks. It's not hypocrisy if you have a false notion of what someone must be like, then meet them in person and find out they are actually quite a decent and civil human being. I'd call it having the maturity and wisdom to recognize the need to change (also known as growth).

Hypocrisy is pretending to feel or be other than how you do or who you are. Extrapolating from your comment would mean anyone who changes their mind is a hypocrite.

What is your definition of hypocrisy? (Note the spelling).

Sorry #-o

Was thinking of the case when people slag other people off behind their backs and pretend to be palsy with them when they have to meet them.

Definitely agree with you there. And I should have been clear that I was describing a situation where people meet in person for the first time, after having harbored certain beliefs about each other.

I do think it is pretty hard to fool the average person in a face-to-face meeting. Which is why (and I'm probably displaying my old-fogeyness here) I don't consider exchanging emails or posts as meeting someone. Not much more so than seeing them on TV. It's too easy to fabricate a persona. Not that I don't appreciate the wonderful technology that makes all these communications possible, but when I can look into someone's eyes, and have access to all the non-verbal communications, while we're having a conversation, then I feel I've met them, and am beginning to know them. I don't think many people are fooled by hypocrites in person; which makes you wonder why they keep trying to fool people.