Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Deep Impact has impacted with comet 9P/Tempel 1.

Deep Impact has impacted with comet 9P/Tempel 1.

Deep Impact was only 50,000,000 kilometers from 9P/Tempel 1 at 2005-May-09 23:35:22 UTC.

Unless that Russian astrologer manages to stop it. . . :roll: 8)

here we go 49872220

what a great mission, this has been a great space idea
    I hope this comet exploration works out well

Sadly I remember the last time I was logged on to something live, it was hearing Genesis going back to Earth with a big 'crunch'

So, what, about two hours to go? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Launch window
    Sadly I remember the last time I was logged on to something live, it was hearing Genesis going back to Earth with a big 'crunch'

well thats kinda the idea this time :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Jubjub
    Unless that Russian astrologer manages to stop it. . . :roll: 8)
    Maybe the astrologer can get some judge to issue a restraining order; ask NASA to "pause" it for a few weeks while he hears arguments. #-o
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    Maybe the astrologer can get some judge to issue a restraining order; ask NASA to "pause" it for a few weeks while he hears arguments. #-o
    It's a shame all the worlds lawyers didn't get a ride with it.

Nick =D>

any new reports on this one ?

its down to 48410555

Sounds like a winning lotto ticket.

Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I hope someone at JPL gets to shout "Ramming Speed!" just before impact.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift
    I hope someone at JPL gets to shout "Ramming Speed!" just before impact.
    "Iceberg, right ahead!"

Just a thought... after the impact can we expect to see a substantial increase in the comets tail for a period afterwards.....??

Just a thought... after the impact can we expect to see a substantial increase in the comets tail for a period afterwards.....??
    Hi Mainframes

This is something that we are all wondering and looking forward to. From what I have read, most people seem to expect very little increase in brightness/acivity as a result of the impact because it is a relativly small impact. However it depends on just what is below the surface and how it reacts to suddenly being exposed to the warmth from the Sun.

Personally i do expect some increase in activity. The question is, big or small.

Regards

PS: It is a big like waiting for the Shoemaker-Levy impact!

Quote Originally Posted by badprof
    However it depends on just what is below the surface and how it reacts to suddenly being exposed to the warmth from the Sun.
    I can tell you - Great Cthulu will not be pleased.

Look what SL9 did to Jupiter in 94, just wish we could have a string of impacters whacking Temple every few minutes. Weather permiting I'm planning on being at our club observatory on the night of impact.

Deep Impact Mission Status Report, May 13

Fifty-nine days before going head-to-head with comet Tempel 1, NASA's Deep Impact spacecraft successfully executed the second trajectory correction maneuver of the mission.
    [...]
    "It was a textbook maneuver that placed us right on the money."

Right on the money is where Deep Impact has to be to place a 1-meter- long (39-inch) impactor spacecraft in the path of a comet about as big as the island of Manhattan that is bearing down on it at 37,100 kilometers per hour (6.3 miles per second).
    0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 ...
    Skepticism enables us to distinguish fancy from fact, to test our speculations. --Carl Sagan

I've just read Japanese probe for asteroid 25143 Itokawa will get to its target next month and return samples to Earth in June 2007.

The probe uses an ion engine and now no more than 450,000 kilometers from 25143 Itokawa.

http://www.hayabusa.isas.jaxa.jp/

Deep Impact Comet Crater Diameter Contest

http://www.planetary.org/deepimpact/contest_enter.html

Just how big a crater will Deep Impact make on Tempel-1? Will the impactor sink right in to the fluffy comet and leave hardly any mark, or will it slam into a solid surface and dig out a classical crater? Scientists can only guess, because they arenít sure how the comet is put together. The Planetary Society is inviting everybody around the world to make an educated guess as to how big that crater will actually be. If your guess is close enough, you could win a custom-made plaque from Ball Aerospace, who built the Deep Impact Spacecraft. The plaque will be made of the same kind of copper material that makes up the heavy mass of the Impactor, laser-engraved with the mission logo.

Quote Originally Posted by kucharek
    Deep Impact Comet Crater Diameter Contest

http://www.planetary.org/deepimpact/contest_enter.html

Just how big a crater will Deep Impact make on Tempel-1? Will the impactor sink right in to the fluffy comet and leave hardly any mark, or will it slam into a solid surface and dig out a classical crater? Scientists can only guess, because they arenít sure how the comet is put together. The Planetary Society is inviting everybody around the world to make an educated guess as to how big that crater will actually be. If your guess is close enough, you could win a custom-made plaque from Ball Aerospace, who built the Deep Impact Spacecraft. The plaque will be made of the same kind of copper material that makes up the heavy mass of the Impactor, laser-engraved with the mission logo.
    Unless that astrologer has 'got' at me I'm sure you have been ToSeeked on this one but I can't find the link just now.

Edit: Got it!

Re: Deep Impact is no more than 50,000,000 km from 9P/Tempel

Quote Originally Posted by Mainframes
    Interesting that Superluminal mentioned Shoemaker-Levy 9. A large percentage of astronomers/scientists prior to the July, 1994 impacts stated that they thought there would be no discernible effect on Jupiter, and thought that the comet fragments would be swallowed up by Jupiter's atmosphere, not leaving any trace of the event. Some even provided mathematical models proving the correctness of this idea.

As we now know, and should continue to realize, actual events don't always follow mathematical models and scientific hypotheses. Therefore, the effect on the tail will be determined after the event, by observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Maksutov
    Interesting that Superluminal mentioned Shoemaker-Levy 9. A large percentage of astronomers/scientists prior to the July, 1994 impacts stated that they thought there would be no discernible effect on Jupiter, and thought that the comet fragments would be swallowed up by Jupiter's atmosphere, not leaving any trace of the event. Some even provided mathematical models proving the correctness of this idea.
    An even larger percentage disagreed though.
    As we now know, and should continue to realize, actual events don't always follow mathematical models and scientific hypotheses. Therefore, the effect on the tail will be determined after the event, by observation.
    Depends upon what is being modeled. The times of impact were pretty close--we've got a pretty good handle on astrodynamics. But they weren't even certain of the sizes or makeup of the comet, and we had never seen any sort of impact before.

Of course, that's exactly why we're doing this experiment now. If we were very confident in the results, it'd be difficult to justify the expense.

Deep Impact was only 40,000,000 kilometers from 9P/Tempel 1 at 2005-May-20 13:39:11 UTC.

[quote="Maksutov
    As we now know, and should continue to realize, actual events don't always follow mathematical models and scientific hypotheses. Therefore, the effect on the tail will be determined after the event, by observation.[/quote]

CFD is a case in point. I think we have gone too far with mathematical models when we should be building real hardware.

Chalk one more up to the Goldin generation and our don't-care Congress.

I had e-mailed the Deep Impact sight several months ago suggesting that they have a contest to name the two spacecraft, the way Spirit and Oppurtunity were named. I got a reply that they where planning on such a contest. But, I guess with impact time so close now there's no chance they will have such a contest.

I had two names ready. Seneca, for the fly-by craft. Seneca was a 1st century Roman scientist, who wrote a book on comets that had remarkably ideas about comets.

For the impacter: Messier, after the comet hunter Charles Messier. I thought how fitting, that a man frustrated by all those insignificant deep sky objects while comet hunting, should have a space probe bearing his name, be the first manmade object to go up and smack a comet.

Anyway those were my suggestions. Just wonder what names they would have come up with?

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal
    I had e-mailed the Deep Impact sight several months ago suggesting that they have a contest to name the two spacecraft, the way Spirit and Oppurtunity were named. I got a reply that they where planning on such a contest. But, I guess with impact time so close now there's no chance they will have such a contest.

I had two names ready. Seneca, for the fly-by craft. Seneca was a 1st century Roman scientist, who wrote a book on comets that had remarkably ideas about comets.

For the impacter: Messier, after the comet hunter Charles Messier. I thought how fitting, that a man frustrated by all those insignificant deep sky objects while comet hunting, should have a space probe bearing his name, be the first manmade object to go up and smack a comet.

Anyway those were my suggestions. Just wonder what names they would have come up with?
    Did you send them your name suggestions?

Unfortunatley, no. I recieved a reply the very next day. They said they were planning on naming the probes, so I was waiting for them to announce the contest. But now this close to impact, I doubt they will do it.

The accuracy of a model depends on the the accuracy of the input data and on the validity of the assumptions made. Just because some models turn out to produce incorrect answers is nowhere near a reason to throw out modeling as a means of prediction. It is simply an indication that something was wrong (either inputs or assumptions) with the model.

Deep Impact was only 30,000,000 kilometers from 9P/Tempel 1 at 2005-May-31 13:23:48 UTC.

Probe heads for comet, but camera is unfocused

Deep Impact is on track to smash its impactor into a comet July 4, but its high-resolution camera's focus is still imperfect.

"The state of the spacecraft is excellent," project manager Rick Grammier said of the $330 million NASA mission. "All systems are nominal."

Deep Impact has two more maneuvers planned to make sure it's on target. The spacecraft will release its smart impactor a day before the collision, set for 1:52 a.m. EDT on July 4, a time that could change slightly as the encounter approaches.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.