View Poll Results: How many intelligent civilizations are there in the Milky Way?

Voters
229. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (us)

50 21.83%

44 19.21%

32 13.97%

36 15.72%
  • 10,000 or more

67 29.26%
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 1,231 to 1,250 of 1250

Thread: How many intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way?

I said I would address the questions and I will.

I noticed that the posting where I mentioned I would answer them tonight, Friday night, was conviently deleted. Nice way to try to hide your wrongdoings.

It takes time to aquire all the official documentation and get permission to scan it and get permission to post it. I notice that noone reads the links that I post.

Also, I offered and asked people to message me their questions in case I missed them and noone did. Nice way again to hide your wrong doings.

First of all, and you know this, sock puppeting is considered to be quite the offense here. I don't know about your responces being deleted, but if they were, then I would like to know the reason; however, I am sure there was due cause.

A question: "wrong doings"? Who's wrong doings? Who's responsible if someone doesn't decide to contact you?

Quote Originally Posted by nospmohT_mailliW
    Good luck with that. Are you familiar with the phrase "Too little, too late"?

It takes time to aquire all the official documentation and get permission to scan it and get permission to post it. I notice that noone reads the links that I post.
    Right, that's why there were comments about them by N C More and others, along with links to information on some of the writers of those articles. Funny you didn't seem to notice any of that - you know, the stuff about the religious motives of some of the Rare Earthers, that it is a highly debated position among scientists, doesn't discount the possibility of intelligent races anyway, and is necessarily highly speculative.

In any event, yes, I did read them and, no, they didn't answer the questions that were addressed to you.

Also, I offered and asked people to message me their questions in case I missed them and noone did. Nice way again to hide your wrong doings.
    Funny how most people can manage to actually read a thread and provide substantive answers to a question without even one reminder. Most can even interact in the discussion (not just repeating the same statements) without being asked specific questions . . .

Friendly suggestion when you go to other forums: Change the attitude. The impression you give with statements like that is of someone who expects special treatment, can't be bothered to read what anyone else says, sees no need to provide straight answers and thinks they are better than everyone else - but doesn't demonstrate any such thing.

Ah, well...

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Exclamation

You had ample opportunity. That time has come and gone.

I noticed that the posting where I mentioned I would answer them tonight, Friday night, was conviently deleted. Nice way to try to hide your wrongdoings.
    I soft-deleted three of your posts you submitted under aliases after being banned (one on this thread, and two here), and am not attempting to hide anything.

When a user is permanently banned, that means their posting privileges have been revoked. It does not mean they can create sock puppets in effort to return again and continue posting. This is now your third alias, which merely further demonstrates your flagrant disregard for our rules.

10. Sock Puppetry

Users are allowed only one account per person. Don't attempt to register a second or third forum username so you can have different personalities and have conversations with yourself. Sock puppets will not be tolerated. All such accounts (including the primary one) will be banned without warning.

15. Repeat/Chronic Offenders

Be warned: If you are banned and try to get back in by spoofing or changing your email, appropriate action will be taken -- not limited to but including contacting your ISP.

Members have indeed read what you've posted. As noted above, that made no effort to directly address questions posed to you. It is you who has ignored the postings of others in this discussion, and it was made crystal clear that such behavior would not be tolerated.

I already stated that it was not the responsibility of other posters to privately contact you in order to get their questions answered. It was your responsibility to address them here on this thread. You failed to do so. You seemed to think that you were somehow exempt from our forum rules, and were sorely mistaken.

Re: How many intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way?

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    Originally Posted by Wīlliam_Thompson
    You do not speak for me, Lance.
    Above request respectfully withdrawn.
    Good choice, Lance. There's something to not continuing to feed the dog that bites the hand that feeds it.

Re: How many intelligent civilizations in the Milky Way?

Thank you, Wolverine, for taking care of this situation in a very professional manner.

The BAUT BB is better for it.

I think this is not an issue of science, since there's no way to test whether there are other life forms[or civilizations] in other star systems. We ain't got an Enterprise to hop in for a weekend cruise to the nearest candidate star, so we're best left with accepting that for the time being.

Then again, I could be wrong.

-- Bridget

A Public Service Announcement

FWIW and FYI, one is not required to get authorization to present information when it qualifies as fair use*. In other words, just paraphrase an argument or data that supports a point instead of pretending to be a librarian and simly pointing others to it. I'm not just writing this because of WT, but I've seen it happen with other people in other bulletin boards.
    Et tu BAUT? Quantum mutatus ab illo.

Quote Originally Posted by ladyattis
    I think this is not an issue of science, since there's no way to test whether there are other life forms[or civilizations] in other star systems. We ain't got an Enterprise to hop in for a weekend cruise to the nearest candidate star, so we're best left with accepting that for the time being.

Then again, I could be wrong.

-- Bridget
    I do think this question (are there other life forms or other civilizations in other star systems) can be addressed scientifically. One could, for instance, state the hypothesis: There are no life forms in other star systems within 100 light years of Earth. It would be easy to falsify this hypothesis:

- Little green men could land on the White House lawn.
    - We might detect phenomena such as electromagnetic radiation in artificial patterns.
    - In a decade or so we should be able to access and quantify the extent to which any celestial bodies within this 100 light year radius have atmospheres which signal the presence of water vapor, methane, oxygen and ozone. The presence in the appropriate quantities of these gasses would not guarantee the presence of life, but would certainly raise the probability substantially.
    - Within a few decades such analysis may be able to include chlorophyll and artificially produced industrial gasses and other atmospheric pollutants.

Bob

Welcome Bridget.

Blah blah blah

Wink

Now there...

Quote Originally Posted by darkfiber74
    Blah blah blah
    Interesting first post. If you don't like this thread, there are plenty of others to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by N C More
    Interesting first post. If you don't like this thread, there are plenty of others to choose from.
    Hell, I don't like this thread. Why do I keep posting to it, anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewulf
    Hell, I don't like this thread. Why do I keep posting to it, anyways?
    I love this thread, but I miss William_Thompson. It's boring without him.

I love this thread, but I miss William_Thompson. It's boring without him.
    He IMed me by MSN.

I didn't have nice things to say to him.

He IMed me by MSN.
    I know. He confused you with Wolverine.

I didn't have nice things to say to him.
    I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

Okay, maybe not.

I love this thread, but I miss William_Thompson. It's boring without him
    Say Lance, you could always invite him over to your forum! Then again, after you tried to stand up for him, and he was totally rude to you in response...maybe that's not such a good idea after all...Oh well!

Quote Originally Posted by N C More
    Say Lance, you could always invite him over to your forum! Then again, after you tried to stand up for him, and he was totally rude to you in response...maybe that's not such a good idea after all...Oh well!
    And I still have to deal with him at the occasional family reunion anyway...

He actually is a member of I-R-U but doesn't show up anymore.

The Bad Astronomer has requested in the past that we not idly gossip about banned posters; I'd like to stress that again here.

Further, I think this thread has run its course after accumulating well over 1200 posts. In light of the cumbersome navigation and baggage spanning back multiple pages I think now would be a good time to close the topic. I'm of the opinion that further discussion on the subject would best be undertaken on a fresh thread.