Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: New Apollo Quiz Game

Quote Originally Posted by Bob B.
    My guess would be the violent recoil they experienced at shutdown of the outboard F-1 engines on the S-IC stage.
    Yep. I figured that one wouldn't last long. Your go.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B.
    I think the stories of the development of the Saturn V (including the F1 engine) and the Lunar Module would make great movies. But then, I'm sort of weird that way.

I can see it now... Tom Hanks working away through the night drilling holes in an F1 combustion chamber injector plate, then carefully wiring up a little bomb to set off inside the engine...

Throughout the 70s, there were many educational films of the Apollo program. I ate 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie B.
    I think the stories of the development of the Saturn V (including the F1 engine) and the Lunar Module would make great movies. But then, I'm sort of weird that way.
    The From the Earth to the Moon miniseries did a good job on the LM development, I thought, but then it was crammed down to an hour.

Hey, where is the next question - I want to play

Sorry, I forgot all about this thread. I also can't think of a good question. If I can think of one later I'll post it, but in the meantime I'll defer to anyone who beats me to it. If you got a question then please jump in a post it.

OK,
    what earth thought did the Apollo 15 lunar module pilot have, just after the TLI burn?

Well he didn't voice it so it's not in the AFJ, and I don't have a copy of To Rule the Night so I'm out.

Was it that Irwin thought the area around him, especially towards the mountains, looked like a skiing resort? (Lake Tahoe?!?)

IIRC, TLI was translunar insertion, the point when they left Earth orbit?

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal
    IIRC, TLI was translunar insertion, the point when they left Earth orbit?
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane
    Was it that Irwin thought the area around him, especially towards the mountains, looked like a skiing resort? (Lake Tahoe?!?)
    From To Rule The Night, he thought that the slopes of the lunar mountains around the landing site looked like good ski slopes. But my question relates to just after they left earth.

Hey, this is a fun thread, but I don't want to stall it. Should I provide the answer, and ask another question?

Sounds like a good idea considering how much time has elapsed. You might also provide a reference.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    Sounds like a good idea considering how much time has elapsed. You might also provide a reference.
    Answer, from To Rule The Night by James Irwin 1973. ISBN 0340195533.
    In Chapter 1; thinking about his family: -

“I did have one earth thought: I wondered if they were still fighting the traffic jam to get back from the launch site to the motels. We had been out about two and a half hours, and we had gone around the earth a few times, and I wondered if they were still trying to drive from the cape to the motels".

Now, my second question: -
    Apollo 17, moon- bound had an unusually good view of what part of the earth, and why was this part of the earth so well visibleto the crew after the TLI burn?

Africa, because it was the only mission that launched at night, so it was daytime over Africa at TLI.

Africa, because it was the only mission that launched at night, so it was daytime over Africa at TLI.
    That’s very good reasoning, but I fear that my reference to the TLI burn may have been misleading. The Apollo 17 crew enjoyed the view of that particular part of the earth very far out - way way out after TLI.

Apollo 17 completed two orbits prior to TLI rather than the usual 1.5. This would have placed it over the Americas during the TLI burn. If I'm reading the data correctly, they would have been in the vicinity of French Guiana at the end of the burn. The time was about 4 AM EST so they were probably very close to the morning terminator.

18. 2006-Jun-11, 08:56 PM
    Reason
    house keeping

Well, my reference said 20-30 meters, and I figured they had no way of knowing the exact value.

Okay, here goes:

What does the term "train wreck" signify to an Apollo astronaut?

I remember John Young describing the Apollo CM simulator as the great train wreck. It seemed to be apropos, given the thing's gargantuan and somewhat obscure physical appearance, with all those projection devices sticking out from all angles. It somewhat looked like a bunch of train cars that had piled on top of each other...

I can't pinpoint it in my mind, but I also think Bob. B. might have something there regarding the staging event. I think someone may have referred to staging in such terms.

That was a pretty violent occurance; getting plastered forward into the restraining straps, a violent plunk, fireball swallowing ther spacecraft, and then getting thrown back in the opposite direction on the 2nd stage ignition....might feel like one had driven a locomotive into a wall!

But that's Bob's idea. I'll stick with the CM simulator!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tester
    Thanks Bob, fascinating information. The earth feature that I am referring to, was not visible until the earth could be seen as a globe.
    Antarctica
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...-148-22726.jpg

The mission occurred in December when Southern Hemisphere is pointed more towards the Sun and around that time the Sun shines straight down on Tropic of Capricorn which passes through southern parts of Africa and Madagaskar. As we can see in the picture that region is centered on Earth's disk. That is consistent with the fact that the spacecraft's trajectory should lie pretty near the ecliptic plane, since Moon's orbital plane is in only 5 degree inclination to the ecliptic and the spacecraft was headed to the Moon.

So the reason why Antarctica was visible to the crew of Apollo 17 is because mission took place in December when there is summer on Antarctica. Also in order to have appropriate lighting condition on the landing site on Taurus-Littrow, the mission was launched towards a Waxing Crescent Moon. Because of that they had a good view of the illuminated side of Earth where Antarctica was at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MID1
    I remember John Young describing the Apollo CM simulator as the great train wreck. It seemed to be apropos, given the thing's gargantuan and somewhat obscure physical appearance, with all those projection devices sticking out from all angles. It somewhat looked like a bunch of train cars that had piled on top of each other...

I can't pinpoint it in my mind, but I also think Bob. B. might have something there regarding the staging event. I think someone may have referred to staging in such terms.

That was a pretty violent occurance; getting plastered forward into the restraining straps, a violent plunk, fireball swallowing ther spacecraft, and then getting thrown back in the opposite direction on the 2nd stage ignition....might feel like one had driven a locomotive into a wall!

But that's Bob's idea. I'll stick with the CM simulator!
    I was inspired by a news article quoting Charlie Duke as referring to the staging event as a "train wreck", so that's what I went with.

22. 2006-Jun-19, 10:46 PM
    Reason
    house keeping

Launch vehicle SA-511 had to be rolled back from the launch pad to VAB.
    Why?

Because there was a fault in the CSM RCS system that could not be repaired on the pad.

Bill Anders apparently claims he cannot use the moist towelettes often provided on airlines or in restaurants to wipe one's hands without fealing queasy. Why?

Because on Apollo 8 he used similar items to, um, take care of some much more personal hygiene matters?

Indeed, ToSeek, though more specifically he used them to clean up Frank Borman's more personal hygeine matters. It is hard to go in a bag when you've got the runs....

Way too much information!

Okay, it's claimed that the first word heard from the Moon was "Houston," which isn't true but let's ignore that for now. Even if it were true, which NASA facility heard that word first (nanoseconds count)?

In principle, Columbia was a NASA facility, so maybe Mike Collins was the first to hear those historic words.

Let's confine it to ones in US territory.

Hmmm, no one seems to have bitten for a bit, so thought I'd try and resurect the thread.

Which Apollo Astronaut won an Emmey?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Okay, it's claimed that the first word heard from the Moon was "Houston," which isn't true but let's ignore that for now. Even if it were true, which NASA facility heard that word first (nanoseconds count)?
    It is well known that Honeysuckle Creek and Parkes played a major role in this event (the folks sitting on the tapes ), so your "in US territory" threw me off track (Parkes wasn't a NASA facility anyway). Today I did some googling and was lead to a thread from BABB. There is a post at "12-May-2004, 01:55 AM" by some guy you may know who writes:
    According to the Hamish Lindsay book, they switched back and forth a few times between Goldstone and Honeysuckle Creek before settling on the latter for the video while staying with Goldstone for the audio. Parkes became available about six minutes later with a much better image that was used for the rest of the moonwalk.
    (bolded by me)
    Maybe the answer is: Goldstone?