Thread: Oddities in the pacific coast

Oddities in the pacific coast

A series of oddities have been detected in the Pacific Coast this year. There has been a decrease of fishes, plankton and birds:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/science....ap/index.html

Scientists are still not sure about the cause.

I thought of global warming as gradual. I wonder if this is an effect.

What do you guys think?

Re: Oddities in the pacific coast

Quote Originally Posted by collegeguy
    What do you guys think?
    depends upon which "you guys" you are referring to. if you ask someone like me or glom, there is no such thing as "global warming" so no, it is not a consequence. others may disagree.

in general, given the size of the planet and the obvious fluctuation of climate trends over months, years, decades, centuries, etc... i would say a one year drop is statistically meaningless whether global warming is an issue or not. there may also have been some sort of local (coastal) phenomena causing the change, including (maybe) el nino or la nina. dunno.

taks

Scientists are expecting to see if the next year has the same problems to determine if this a one-year phenomenon or maybe global warming, or some other disturbance.

two years in a row, for a planet that is 4 billion years old, is still not really statistically relevant.

i'm not saying there is no cause, just to say that "we're looking to see if this is an anomaly or global warming" indicates some predisposition to the global warming thesis. that a one year chance event is suddenly "maybe it's global warming" is ridiculous. there isn't even provable correlation, let alone causation. yet somehow, that's the first thing the article mentions as a possibility. these pro-global warming activists run around looking at every anomaly hoping to pin it on global warming as "mounting evidence." shameful.

this is why journalism is nothing more than ideological drivel.

taks

Taks wrote:
    this is why journalism is nothing more than ideological drivel.
    No kidding, a few years back there was an unusually warm early winter in Finnish Lapland, this promted the BBC to show British tourist walking on green grass in late November instead of snow, all this was summed up with a ridicilous comment "global warming has reached even the land of Santa Claus"...

No mention of course that global warming left "the land of Santa Claus" soon in a hurry.

I do "believe" in global warming, but I'm not convinced this has anything to do with that either. Among other causes it might be pollution of some sort, overfishing (though I don't know how that would affect the plankton, except by some feedback loop), some regional "climate" change like an El Nino (I'm not sure if El Ninos are considered climate or weather).
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

climate and weather are inextricably (sp?) linked, i believe. either way, the author of the cnn article jumps immediately to two explanations: anomaly or global warming. that's ideology. it completely ignores scientific reasoning and attributes such things as either a fluke or what the author really wants it to be.

taks