Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aliens?

OK, with a simple yes or no answer, and setting aside anything "proven" or not, in your heart of hearts:

Do you believe in Aliens?

By Aliens I mean little intelligent life forms that could communicate with us.

Im not talking worms or bacteria or anything like that, im talkin little green,gray life forms!

No technical stuff here yall, IE: planets to hot or cold to support life etc.....

My answer is no

i would have to say that i am too minial to even attempt to answer that one...
    i could not say either way...

yes... its possible, given the amount of space out there...

and no... its probable, but highly unlikely, given the amount of space out there =)

...ask again in about 50 years =)

I DO hope that there are!!
    But, i doubt that they are the little green/gray men that people have been stuck on for the last 50 years... the whole abduction thing...

i envision there being creatures of far more intelligent life than we are.. in forms that we may never comprehend.... who;s to say that the images that we receive from space don't contain life forms in them already?

...thast the good thing about life..... its neverending and always changing and becoming new things...

. ..-={Arramon}=-.. .

My answer is also no. But I believe the search for life is very worthwhile, perhaps the second most important task that humanity can dedicate itself to.

The most important task would be to seed the Universe with life if we don't find any out there. Can you imagine the cosmic tragedy if life appeared in one place in the Universe and the guardians of it ended up ruining everything?

There's irony.

I belive there must be some other intelligent life out there, somewhere!

I'm not one of these alien abduction types. I doubt aliens have been here. But the universe is big. REally, really, really really big. Teeming with Super clusters of galaxies, each with millions or billions of clusters of galaxies each. within each of these are more x-illions of galaxies with more illions of stars alll potentioally with their own solar system. The likelyhood of Earth being the only planet to start up this amazing phenomenon of life is, in my opinion, very lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

(and I think that should read "self proclaimed guardians" :P )

Ok Stephanie, I guess I'll have to go stand in front of a moving bus for this one so sorry in advance!

Life? Intelligent life? :huh: Define that one someone. Before we get too carried away , we need to be sure of our definitions. No I don't mean trekkie terms, but what IS life and intelligence? As a fer-instance, we humans are carbon-based. What happens if we meet a crystaline life form?

As for there actually BEING life, much less intelligent, out there... Sorry but I'd have to say that likelihood is so low it won't even register on anything. Sorry but unless there's solid PROOF. Ain't gonna happen.

So much for "simple yes or no answers"....

yes

Guest Guest
    i believe in bacteria and stuff but not yet in small beings
    they may not be small and they may not be beings at all :? h34r: h34r: h34r: h34r: h34r: h34r: h34r: h34r:

We have no proves of anything yet. If we are able to communicate with extreterrestrial intelligent creatures by radio signals in the near future, then we must take as reference the years light which the signal will be travelling through. A civilization beyond our system should be no avanced enough than us and they should be entering into the "radio" world. There is an interesant article in Seti about this and it is a good argument (sorry but I am lazy to do the serch for it).

However, we can't expect an intergalactic society will become more or less than us. There are several elements which are the consequences of our evolution. Different states are able to other worlds and dimentional areas, able to create other forms of life.

Grey or green... maybe but red and blue too. However the final result can be other. Perhaps will become the only intelligent organism from the Universe, the scientists and ambassadors, or the conquerors..!

But Yes! I believe there is something out there, even zones where humans will lose sanity...

Anyway we are still looking for intelligent life over here...

There are two possibilities. Either this planet contains the only intelligent life forms in the universe, or the universe has intelligent life in two or more locations (if it exists in two locations then I think we can assume that it is not a mere anomaly and that it is common throughout the universe).

There are theories (but very little actual hard evidence in the scheme of things) to support both possibilities. All we can do is speculate, and perform calculations such as the drake equation which is based on variables which we can only estimate from our limited observations.

Kashi

Yeah, I am agreed with that. I think our speculations will prepare us for anything out there. Our calculations are still limited but with the time I think humans will be able to biggest deductions. The crusade is just beginning and there are many to discover.

It is important to keep the search. But if you look with a phisolophic eye, seeing the supernova reactions, asteroids, all the gravity force impulsing everything, the black holes, thermonuclear reactions into the sun, planets in moviment, etc, I think we are in presence of a very bizarre form of life who acts by own will...

J.C Guest
    The universe is so damn big, i don't believe we are the only creation

Beardo Guest
    If there is some kind of creation force behind it all, I believe the creation of man alone is a total waste in this huge universe. So my answer is a question; Why should man be the only "intelligent" being in the universe? What makes us so special? I think most people are afraid of discovering that universe is teaming with intelligent life and we, humans, are just on the starting point of our civilization and its possibilities. Which in it self makes us rather insignificant compared to other more developed races. That's humanity's largest fear to find out.

Have a nice day!

John Guest
    I believe there is inteligent life in the universe. SETI has not found any but lack of evidence is not evidence there is none. We may be using the wrong methods to search, looking in the wrong direction, or they just dont use RADIO. They WILL find us but they may may be so far ahead of us that they do not think MAN is an inteligent life form.

PSmith Guest
    The sheer weight of numbers of stars in the universe raises the chance of the existence of habitable planets (even by our limited understanding of what that may mean) and that in turn increases the possibility, if not also the probability, of intelligent life existing elsewhere in the universe. The problem of our not having heard from them can be explained in one of three ways. First, we have and didn't know it; second, the vast distances preclude direct communication, and third, they are too highly evolved (or insufficiently evolved) to find us of any interest.

I vote yes: I am with the optimists in this matter. -_-

David Baird Guest
    Yes I beleive there are Aliens amongst us.
    Cats, Bananas and the leaders of some war mongering countries, surely Humans would seek peace and not this disruption.

Bananas have no seeds and are a very strange fruit indeed.

Cats well look at them funny wee eyes and all.

There are some other pretty strange forms of life around too, which seem to me to have come from somewhere else.

Adrian Guest
    At nearly 13 billion years old, the universe has many more stars than the individual grains of sand on our planet, and it would do us all-knowing humans well to realize that we exist at the end of that thirteen billion years.
    In this infinitely old universe the possibilities past and present are immeasurable in their infinite promise.
    We now know that planets abound throughout space and the chances are that no two will be exactly the same. A one percent difference in our planets metallic core might have created a vastly different environment to the one we now have, and so it is easy to assume that life in whatever forms might exist in this vast and old universe, are therefore much different to us. The universe is not in the habit of making exact copies of all it creates.
    We point our telescopes around our sector of the galaxy in the hope that we might receive signals from intelligences using the same technology as ourselves some hope. Technologically, we are newbies. In the next thousand years its quite likely that our race will discover and discard another thousand much different and more effective means of communication. In fact, its more than possible that distant alien races that might one distant day be within the range of communication, are at present just too far advanced at for us to even receive them, or recognize their signals if we did.
    Earth is one of those cosmic grains of sand orbiting a star in a galaxy that is just one of many billions of those galaxies that fill our universe. That life exists here, suggests that life, intelligent or otherwise is common throughout the universe.
    We are not alone, and we must not expect communication that might take many thousands of years to reach its destination to be easy. What answers lay out there in the depths of space await future generations those with a far greater technology and understanding of our universe than that which we presently possess.

Cheyenne Guest
    Yes!
    Like Ellie in the movie Contact says: If not, it's an awful waste of space!

Are we so arrogant to believe this vast universe is here solely for us to observe? When we are gone then so too will the universe be gone? How can there be anything to observe if there are no observers. It would be an incredible tragedy if the entire universe hung by the thread of human existence. I think life exists in all shapes, sizes and sentience. In fact if the universe is truly infinite, then anything that can be imagined can exist. :blink:

being Guest
    "If there isn't, then it's a terrible waste of space"...Carl Sagan, "Cosmos"

The Drake Equasion is the best evidence, or theory any human has contrived to validate the existence of other 'intelligent' life forms. Intelligence is based on the assumption a life form has an awareness their existence, and pursue creative challenges through analytical problem-solving.

Of course there is other intelligent life in the universe. If we're the only ones...this is definitely a big waste of space. :blink:

YES. I believe that it is not only arrogant but also foolish to think that this small waterworld we live on is the only source of life in the universe.

Actually, without the knowledge of the limits of the Universe it IS a hard quest to find out a single form of life, intelligent or not. However we must be prepared for anything. Even we must think what is an intelligent form of life. I mean to create a electronic tool doesn't make you more intelligent than a person who has no contact with actual technology, you are a real perseptive one indeed! But intelligent is the ability to deducte the situation, learn from mistakes, and learn and learn and learn.
    If there are aliens with enough abilities to utilise science, technology, etc, as we are doing or better than us, so there is a chance to meet them in a distant day or they get in contact with (if they are brave enough considering our wild spirit :-) ). However its culture could be too different from us. Maybe they want to be alone and they are not bound by curiosity as humans. There are many factors which are result of our actual evolution, I think the posibilities to find out a civilization like us is small. I think there are more posibilites to find out other kind of cultures, totally different from us, totally un-humanoids... Our speculations must be open to the most incredible ideas, why not? Cosmos can break all rules!
    Carl Sagan said it. Our perseption is a consequence of our landscape and our imagination comes from what we have in mind and see all day, etc, etc.

What do you think?

Edit: Profanity deleted - Matthew

Its two fold, if there is intelligent life out there, i think we should have heard from them by now. The Universe being infinite who knows. Id like to think that there is.

To think that out of the zillions/gazillions of stars & planets out there, our little dirt ball is the only one jam-packed with trillions of life-forms, while the rest of the universe is an empty void.... is the ultimate definition of "arrogance". This neighbourhood is so damn big, if a neighbour were to send us a greeting, it probably won't reach us till the Sun dies. Not hearing the "Hello" doesn't mean they aren't there.

Just look at your own neighbours - you haven&#39;t spoken to them since you moved in, doesn&#39;t mean they dun live there. <_<

Decimal Guest
    Its hard to say Yes or No to Aliens...but im slightly confused...if a star is a couple of million light years away, and waves and rays travel at the speed of light, isnt everything we are seeing millions of years old? And if anyone stopped to think how old the human race it could be a possibility why we have never contacted or been contacted by an alien race...
    I could be wrong of course...

My opinion: Yes - Aliens...I beleive humans are a genetic experiment by Aliens and they started us off on a remote planet and let us go like a new breed of animal in the wild

Hy.

My humble opinion is YES, there must be other inteligent life forms in the universe. I read a lot of theories about different kind of life forms, the one that i liked most was that there are billions of forms of lifeforms in the universe, carbon based (like us), sillicon or crystal based, and also pure energy life forms.

Anyway, as another member said, who can define life and inteligence, it may be different for every civilization.
    Who knows, maybe the universe itlesf and the contained galaxies are a different kind of lifeform

Anyway, i remember that a scientist has been asked about the posibility of other life forms existing on other planets, and he replied :
    "We are very selfish if we believe we are the only inteligente life form in the Universe" :P

P.S. sorry for not sticking to simple YES or NO B)

B) I&#39;m enjoying reading these responses. For as many opinions there are out there, there are probably as many alien species in just our GALAXY contemplating the same question.

I saw a documentary once that discussed the option that other worlds would be developing simultaneously to ours; not differing too much in the level of technology it takes to communicate with or travel to other solar systems. By some design, that would mean we could all communicate when we are "ready."
    Someday we will reach that maturity.

To answer the question,

The answer has to be "OF Course &#33;".

To address the larger question, as phrased by other respondants,

In short, "all things are possible".

Including:, Little green men, after all look at the abundant phyisical variations of life on just one planet, ours. Given a few more million years what could dogs , chimps, rats, cockroaches evolve into, help them along with a little enforced mutation, say from a nuclear war or pollution and al things are possible.

Do not tell me that it is physically imposslbe to travel here, as people interested in science we should understand sopme of the histopry of science, Scientista has told us for hundreds fof years what is possible and what is imposible only to have a younder new scientist prove them wrong, where there is a will there is a way.

Considereing "Aliens" to be of too high a standard to be malicious to Earthlings, when does scientifica abilituy ad moral development go hand in hand. Even within our own species we have seen the technologically evolved exploit the less developed races, slavery, Africa, south america, it goes on.

FOr all those who wish to put a scientific look at it cnsider the "Drake Equation"

Frank Drake, 1961
    The equation is usually written:
    N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

Where,

N = The number of civilizations in The Milky Way Galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.

R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.

fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.

ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.

fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.

fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges. For more information, please visit Dr. William Calvin&#39;s "The Drake Equation&#39;s fi"

fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.

L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Cheers

Thanks Rodonnell for your explanation&#33; I was familiar with the Drake Ecuation but not in a deep way.
    However there is pointed "ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life". How do we know what is a good enviroment for life? Anything like our planet? Why? Why not a different area? I think if we think a good enviroment needs oxygen, etc. then that is a good enviroment from our needs, but what happen if an alien eats lithium to say something...
    I guess other aliens are able live in other enviroments not too simlar to Earth. I mean it is not fair to think the only special enviroment for life is one like ours.

I don&#39;t know that is my interpretation from that past of the ecuation. I guess so ideas change since 1961.

[B][FONT=Times][SIZE=7]

Aliens? eh? You don&#39;t have to look into &#39;&#39;&#39; outer &#39;&#39;&#39; space to see the kinds of
    alien life forms available........just take Prof. Ballard&#39;s deep diver and see the
    magnificent forms in the Ocean depths; many of the them totally new and alien
    as we know life on a terrestrial world.
    Consider then, these possibilities: 1. A form of life which takes its energy from
    the &#39;&#39;dark energy&#39;&#39; that seems to be in the majority. It is even accelerating the
    universe. 2. What makes us think that this universe/
    cosmos is the only one in existence? Parallel universes are a possibility in which
    presumably there MUST be life if it mirrors ours.
    3. In that case put all of the above together,
    and we have a parallel, dark energy universe which mirrors ours............
    so my answer is: YES h34r:

Totally agreed about parallel planes. There dark areas in Cosmos indeed.
    But I don&#39;t if we can think about "alienigenic" creatures the ones who can find in the extreme zones of our planet, after all they belong to our home.

But totally agreed with parallel Universes&#33;