Thread: I, Robot

Now, if anyone who has read Asimov's I, Robot will know what I'm talking about. How will we greet life we have never in our wildest imaginations dreamed of? Will we condem a way of life that foriegn from our own? Earth just evolved in one way, through chances of faith one could say. I am personally afraid of what could happen if (when, hopefully) homo sapeans discover the frighting aspects of the universe. Robots, for example, or machinary perhaps is being taught many of the qualities we give to conscious beings: how to learn, how to make more of themselves, how to SURVIVE. The universe is so wise and vast, while we are small, rash beings. Already 90% of all speices ever on created on Earth have died forever. My basic question is CAN WE ACCEPT THE FACT THAT WE ARE NOT ALONE AND THE STRANGER THAT GREETS US IS REALLY STRANGE

I don't see it being a problem if we could teach robots to behave a certain way, if it benifits the human race.

The computer you used to post your message on this forum was done with a computer which we humans have programmed to behave in a certain way!!

when I think of all the social control used to force us to compete, work, reproduce, not to question some thing, but to reject others, I worry too, what will we do, most first contact situations in science fiction are hostile, Independance Day, War of the Worlds, or we screw up, misreading a gesture as hostile, or xenophobia. Is it Star trek 1 where Vger returns home?

Any intelligent species we will encounter in the universe will probably be different from us, even if they would be humanoids, their customs, society, morals etc. would be very different from ours. It is a sad fact that we can hardly tolerate members of our own species simply because they dress differently, they celebrate other holidays or they have a different amount of melanin in their skin. The outlook doesn't look good. But, on the other hand, they will be of a completely different species, so perhaps we will be able to accept their differences. After all, what choice do we have? And, to look at it from another angle, what choice do they have, other than accepting us?

Originally posted by Parker@Oct 16 2003, 07:55 AM
    And, to look at it from another angle, what choice do they have, other than accepting us?
    "Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Of course, they could be hostile, in which case we wouldn't have much of a resistance to offer, considering the huge gap in technology between our two species.

In the universe life will have evolved to survived and any speices we meet will most likly be technologically advanced to the human race, and hopefully if they have survived long enough to travel to our world they would understand a concept of peace and understanding of life.

I agree. Surely any species that can survive long enough to master interstellar travel will have evolved to value peace and the understanding of others. If not, they would have easily destroyed themselves with their advanced technology long before they were able to make such an epic journey.

Maybe it depends on the species, I mean we humans are both social as well as individual animals, isn't it possible that a species can be collective by nature like ants for example, and still develop an advanced technology? In that case the way they look at these things might be different.

Ants don't have the brain power currently to consciously 'think', at least thats what we believe...

True, but they could be much larger than ants and have some sort of "group intelligence", so they would all be one mind working as one. Perhaps.

I dunno about assuming a peaceful encounter ... I think Mars Attacks said it best

"ack ack, ack ack ack, ack ack"

The motivations for perceived violence (intentional or otherwise) are legion.

PS: Intelligence isn't required for advanced technology, just the proper application of instinct. As pointed out to me earlier, ants and beavers both build complex structures.

True, but with intelligence the species can improve and invent in a much shorter time than to wait a few thousand generations.