Thread: Discussion: First Data from Mars Express

SUMMARY: The European Space Agency has gathered a mountain of new data from the Mars Express orbiter, which shows the Red Planet in unprecedented resolution - over the course of the last few weeks it's gathered more than 100 GB of data. Its photographs show details as fine as sediments left on the bottom of river valleys and dust blowing over the rim of craters. The spacecraft is also detecting water being lost from the Martian atmosphere for the first time. Unfortunately, Mars Express still has yet to detect the British-built Beagle 2 lander, which went missing on December 25, 2003.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Originally posted by fraser@Jan 23 2004, 03:51 PM
    Its photographs show details as fine as sediments left on the bottom of river valleys and dust blowing over the rim of craters.
    Aren't they still trying to determine if water ever existed in liquid form? The word river implies liquid water, did I miss something?

please HELP!

I MIGHT SOUND VERY SILLY,BUT WHAT'S ARE THOSE "BLUE" SPACES THAT SPREAD SMOOTHLY IN THE CANAL OF "Reull Vallis" PICTURED BY MARS EXPRESS, IS THIS LIQUID WATER?!!!!!!!!&#33 ;!!!!!!!!! OR AN IMAGE TAKEN BY AN ULTRAVIOLET OR INFRARED FREQUENCY?

see the pic at ESA website : http://www.esa.int/export/SPECIALS/Mars_Ex...1.html#subhead3

at the very buttom of the page.

Indeed, it does look like water, but unless there are also waterfalls coming out of the sides of those cliffs, I would not agree with you. I think it might be mineral deposits left from the water that they think flowed over; or from; those cliffs. I have seen the Painted Desert here in the U.S.A. and there really is sand that color blue and green and every other color you can dream because of the minerals deposited in the soil ions ago.

So....mineral deposits from possible previous water in action-that sounds scientific..interesting..., first clearcut evidence of the presence of past water(other than infrared)...

Thanks for th clarification a newton