Thread: Discussion: More Support for Life in Martian ...

SUMMARY: Researchers from the University of Queensland believe they have more evidence that supports the theory that NASA researchers found life in a Martian meteorite back in 1996. Their new technique uses an electron microscope to see through the bacteria and into the gel surrounding the magnetic crystals inside the creature. Their research indicates that the bacteria likely lived four billion years ago, before life was even believed to have formed here on Earth. Their research was published in the Journal of Microscopy.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

Great news, new technology giving us (literally) new insights, I hope this will lead to sample return missions to Mars to see if any more of those "micro"-microbes still exist there.
    Cheers.

Fraser: I agree, it's great news. The only thing that bothers me is the scientists' certainty that they have found something from Mars. Here on Earth? With all the climate changes on our planet, all weather variables, all erosion factors how can anyone speak of calculating the trajectory of a rock allegedly coming from space to indicate that it came from Mars? They speak of a rock's composition as evidence of its martian origin. But there have been mistakes even in determining a rock as a meteorite. The error factor in finding the source of a celestial stone seems to be immeasurably greater. Really, who can prove that the rock in question came from Mars and not from Mercury or even Callisto? I am a great optimist in everything related to space exploration, but asserting that something found on Earth came from Mars seems to me far fetched. The early announcements of the martian rock find were quite cautious, but after some time the scientists began to sound as if the martian origin of the rocks is self evident. In my opinion our assumptions about rocks we find on Earth can not replace our going to the planet of the alleged origin.

As I read it, the story's first sentence states:
    University of Queensland researchers have confirmed the theory life once existed on Mars.

That's a pretty bold (and I think wreckless) statement considering the many possibilities of the meteorite's origin.

I have to agree with Galaxy Dweller. The origin is just too iffy and inconclusive. While the advanced technology may confirm evidence of some lifeform is fossilized in the rock, where it really came from remains problematic.

"Until we break out of the box we are forever destined to seek extraterrestrial life as we know it, continuing to look past wonders beyond our comprehension."

Victoria Guest
    Looks like Hubble's replacement should be able to verify the latest discovery B) .

Victoria Guest
    Being "heat" is its trade. h34r:

I agree, it was a pretty bold statement. If you read my intro, I was a little more vague. But still, it's good to see scientists are still working away to determine, once and for all if the meteorite came from Mars, if there's life inside, and if that life came from Mars.

christopher victor Guest
    [COLOR=blue][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][SIZE=1] to all earth links there. I think life on mars may still exist untill now.....It's just that we human can't see with our optical eyes....

Very seldom, we see things the way it should....but in this case of mars...I think we need a different view of imagination and thinking. We can find the answer...it's always there.

Faulkner Guest
    I can see lots of people in this forum asking the same question: How do scientists KNOW the meteorites come from MARS...???

I have yet to hear a good feasible explanation.

With only a mere handful of Martian landers up our sleeves, are we suddenly authorities on Martian geology???

Guest_Mickey Guest
    I knew it! We're all of Martian descent. ;-)

What I can dredge from my memory is that it has all to do with the composition of the enclosed gas inside the meteorites. These encapsulated gases have a specific "Mars signature", the one we can compare with what we measure from orbit and from Earth.
    Cheers.

:huh: Is the meteor on earth or on mars? If its on earth it might be some sort of life or paracite that got on it whene it hit. Thats what i think.

This is off the subject but i have a question for Fraser or enyone else, how do you get the littal photo above your name if you know e-mail me at disturbed48637@yahoo.com thank you.