Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ** FAQs ** Resources On The Web

** FAQs ** Resources On The Web

If you know of a particularly good site on a subject that we haven't listed , or you have or know of a personal site that may not be listed on a search engine, feel free to bring it to our attention so we can add it, if appropriate.

We would appreciate any feedback, good or bad, so we can update this list and try to make it more user friendly.

Hopefully this will be something we can all benefit from

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Biographies

Glossery of People in Astronomy(an alphabetical listing)

James Van Allen, Joseph Louise LaGrange, Carl Sagen, Eugene Shoemaker

Magazines and Space News Sites

Astronomy.com, Sky News Magazine, Sky and Telescope, Spaceweather .com, Space Daily.com, Space.com, SpaceRef.Com, CNN Science and Space News, ICARUS, International Journal of Solar System Studies, Red Nova (News), The Salopian Web, Spaceflight Now, Space Technology, The Planetary Society

General Astronomy

Astronomy Web Guide, Astronomy Picture of the Day, International Astronomical Union (IAU), NASA Image of the Day, Sea and Sky, Jack Horkheimer, Star Gazer, Hubble Newscentre, Glossary of Space Science Terminology

Radio Astronomy

Society of Radio Astronomers, Amateur Radio Astronomy, Project Page, The Jupiter Space Station Group, Haystack Observatory Small Radio Telescope (SRT) "Buy one for amateurs"

The Solar System

In General

Astronet, Solar System Simulator, The Nine Planets, Views of the Solar System, Near Earth Objects Map of the Solar System, Stardate Online, Planetary Image Finder, The Solar System.net, USGS Astrogeology Research Program, Lunar and Planetary Institute

The Sun

SOHO Data

Mercury

Venus

The Soviet Exploration of Venus, Chasing Venus (Observing Venus Transits, 1631 - 2004), The Pioneer Venus Mission

Earth

Sun Earth Connection Roadmap

Moon

Clementine Project, Apollo 12 Surveyor II Analysis, Lunar Atlases, Lunar Science Home Page

Mars

Mars Virtual Spacecraft (Zoomable Mars atlas), NASA's Centre for Mars Exploration, The Mars Society, Explore Mars Now (Homepage), Mars Today.com (Mars News), Mars Academy, Mars News.com, Mars Direct Home Page, The Daily Martian Weather Report, NASA Haughton-Mars Project (Mars on Earth), Mars Institute, Mars Meteorites, Maestro Headquarters , Mars Research (Viking Labelled Release Experiment), The Geology of Mars, Planet Mars Home Page

Jupiter

Saturn

Cassini Imaging Central Laboratory for Operations (CICLOPS)
    Titan

Uranus

http://www.btinternet.com/~prgreetham/Wise...en/theory5.html ( Uranus theory )

Neptune

Pluto

Other Moons

Giant Planet Satellite Page

Asteroids and Comets

Minor Planet Research Inc., Near Earth Object Program, Sebastian's Comet Hunt, Minor Planet Centre, Major News about Minor Objects, The 234 Radar Detected Asteroids, International Meteor Organization (IMO), JPL's Comet Observation Home Page

Craters and Impacts

Exploring Earth's Impact Page, Asteroid and Comet Impact Craters and Mass Extinctions

Extrasolar Planets

Extrasolar Visions, Other Words, Distant Suns, California & Carnegie Planet Search, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia, Extra Solar II, Laird Close Steward Observatory (Exo-planet Imaging), JPL's Planet Quest

Space Agencies and Departments

Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), Kennedy Space Centre (KSC), Europeon Space Agency (ESA), Canadian Space Agency (CSA), Brazilian Space Agency, Russian Space Agency (RKA), NASA, NASA Ames Research Centre, Sea Launch, Space Science Institute, National Space Science Data Centre (NSSDA), NASA's Marshall Space Flight Centre, Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), Orbital Sciences Corporation, Vandenberg Air Force Base (Launch site)

Space Missions

Unmanned

Mars Odyssey, Cassini, Galileo, Mars Rovers (Spirit and Opportunity), Rosetta, Stardust, Voyager, Pioneer, Chandra X-Ray Observatory, Space Telescope Science Institute (Hubble), Ulysses (JPL Site), Ulysses (ESA Site), Mars Global Surveyor, Gaia Mission, Aura, Wilkinson Microwave Anisotrophy Probe (WMAP), Magellan, Ranger Series (Moon Probes), Smart 1

Manned

International Space Station (ISS), Apollo Program, Ansari X-Prize Homepage, Scaled Composites Homepage, The DaVinci Project

Satellites

NOAA Office of Satellite Operations, Allan Pickup's Satellite Decay Watch, Heavens Above

Concepts and Future Missions

The Space Elevator, NASA/JPL Terrestrial Planet Finder, New Horizons Mission to Pluto, Kepler Mission, ESA's Darwin Mission, Hershel Space Observatory, Messenger (Mercury Orbiter), Square Kilometre Array (SKA), Planet-C "Venus Exploration Mission", Global Precipitation Measurement (GPM) Mission, Space Interferometry Mission (SIMS), Venus Express, Venus Geophysical Lander Concept, SELENE(SELenological and ENgineering Explorer)

Stars & Galaxies

In General

Delmarva Stargazers On-Line, Southern Sky Watch, The Night Sky for This Month, Logarithmic Maps of the Universe, The Baker Observatory Astronomy Pictures, Captain's Universe, La Silla Observatory

Stars

Solstation.com, The Universe Within 12.5 Light Years. (Star Listing), Stars within 20 Light Years, The 75 Nearest Stars, The 100 Nearest Star Systems

Galaxies

Astrobiology

Astrobiology at NASA, Astrobiology Magazine

Cosmology

Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial,

Physics

The Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council (PPARC), Space Plasma Physics Group, USENET's Physics FAQs, Hyperphysics, Mathematical Physics Index, Physics 2000

Theories & Skepticism

Phil Plait's Bad Astronomy,
    Velikovsky, The Electric Universe, The Plasma Universe, Is the Planet Venus Young?, Tribunal Theory Homepage, The Origin of the Moon, Iron Sun Theory, Moon Base Clavius (Debunking site for Apollo Hoax), Planet X and the Pole Shift (A look at the science behind Planet X), The Enterp[rise Mission (Richard Hoagland's Webpage)

En Espanol

Proyecto Hubble, Mars Exploration Rovers, Astroenlazador, Mision Kepler de la NASA, Misión CervantesPlanetary Classification List

Guest Guest

En Espanol

Proyecto Hubble, Mars Exploration Rovers, Astroenlazador, Mision Kepler de la NASA
    http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cervantes_miss...JFV7O0MD_0.html

Pedro Duque escribe desde el espacio : La despedida

:unsure: A couple of online newsletters that may be of interest;

The Magellanic Clouds Newsletter

The Galactic Center Newsletter

Planetary News

SpaceRef has planet specific news sites for the Moon today, Mars today, Mercury today, Juipiter today and Saturn today. I think Juipiter today was set up mainly for Galileo, and the others as missions began.

Worth spliting up and linking seperately under each planet?

Astro-Photography sites:

Astrophotography By Jon Kolb

An Atlas of the Universe has some great links Star Cluster and Nebula within 10000 ly shows the distances for such objects, as the Cats Paw (NGC 6334)

All the sky has some great links to catalogs like, E. E. Barnard's Catalog of Dark Nebulae

Naoyuki Kurita, stellar scenes

Axel Mellinger in particular his all sky panarama.

Star Echoes, I like this site, in particular for the wide shots of Orion

Catalogs:

I think you may want to add this as a seperate section.

First The catalog of catalogs from the CDS, contains brief descriptions, but is one of the most thorough.

INSPEC has a lot of technical resources, in particular, a list of astronomical designations. No links to catalogs or databases. I think Simbad stands alone, as far as atlases go.

A Timeline of DSO catalogs by Barbara Wilson

The Northern Caldwell Objects

NRAO Catalogue of SNR (super-nova remnants)

LSPM North catalog is a comprehensive list of 61,977 stars north of the J2000 celestial equator that have proper motions larger than 0.15 seconds of arc per year (local-background-stars frame). (spotted by Antoniseb)

Astronomy clubs

Astronomy Clubs world wide

Tri-city astronomy club of Southeast Washington, amongst the offerings on their site is a biography of Charles Messier with guides to THE MESSIER MARATHON and detailed finder charts for CALDWELL objects

Ames Area Amateur Astronomers

And I have to recomend Hawaiian Astronomical Society for their Deepsky Atlas.

For treatment of the different catalogs of stars, most seem to be connected to Astronomy software sites, The Guide is a software package, this page outlines the catalogs it uses, for example. Desktop universe is another

The Schmidt Cassegrain website by Ted Kurkowski, has one of the best lists of DSO (deep sky Objects)l catalogs I have found. From Abell to Westr.

SEDS Goes further including longer discriptions

This is HST Target naming conventions, this includes a link to proposals (in case any of you UT Rouges want to have a go ! Best get in quick before she crash and burns I guess&#33

Not completely off the topic, but perhaps a History section ??

Sharpless catalog of HII regions. While looking for some close ups of Sh2-3, I came across This site, it has a little bit of history about Sharpless and Lynds. Lynds seems to have moved from studying HII regions in our galaxy to other galaxies, An atlas of dust and HII regions in Galaxies, This article mentions her bright and dark nebula Atlases. Stewart Sharpless is mentioned in This site about the history of the USNO Flagstaff station, and he is mentioned in this site and this site as one of the first astronomers to realise our position within a spiral galaxy.

Unfortunately, I still have not found anything of Sh2-16, It looks like a three stars with some nebulosity, any help appreciated!!!
    I found it extremely helpful in locating the galactic center in the visual wavelength, it appears in This image just below the cross marking the center of our galaxy.

For Biographies

HAO has some great Bios from Aristotle to Bernard Lyot

And we would have to include The Galileo Project

Edward Emerson Barnard

Edward Emerson Barnard at the Belmont society.

Hope I haven't spwralled this post

Everyone!!!!

You simply must try these sites!

First, there is a nice site at NASA, Near Earth Object Program that has a Java simulation of Near Earth Objects, a highlighted list of Close Approaches(updated daily), and a list of the Orbital Elements for nearly 3000 asteroids. Also, there is a list for Comets.

Then, and this is really the neat one, there is a FREE PROGRAM called CELESTIA.

Celestia is a real-time 3D space simulation featuring a database of over 100000 stars, nearly a hundred solar system objects, and a complete catalog of neat stuff, like fictional space ships and space stations from 2001: A space Odyssey, Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Stargate and others.

It's like a joyride through a planetarium! And here's the neat part. You can copy the orbital elements from the Nasa-NEO site into a template(simple text-file) for Celestia, drop it into the resources folder(after you have downloaded Celestia to your computer...for free) and it will appear in the simulation, in the right place. You can go forward and backward in time, and move seamlessly to anywhere, even other galaxies, at light speeds plus.

I forgot to eat for nearly a day after I downloaded it. :blink:

Download size for Mac and PC versions is about 12+ megabytes, expands to about 18 mb's. They also have a page called The Celestia Motherload
    which contains links to about 3 gigabytes of additional files for most of the locations and objects in the Universe that you could possibly think to visit.
    Last edited by Swift; 2010-Jun-18 at 02:07 PM. Reason: fix link

Sh2-13, wow doesn't it help when you add words like nebula to your search!

Astronomical Images by George Greaney more astrophotography!

Another site I have to mention is A CCD Tour of the Universe by Jan Wisniewski, in particular for it's lovely illistrations of the constellations

The Saguaro Astronomy Club (SAC) has a variety of downloads

Aladin has some black and white images of Gum70 and in colour
    Put in GUM 70 , including some object databases

at the Aladin sky atlas. get an RGB image, there is a very subtle colum near the star HD 161408.
    Last edited by Swift; 2010-Jun-18 at 02:13 PM. Reason: remove dead links

StarLab Guest
    Hey, guys, I was looking around and I found a few that might have been visited before but that I think should definitely be noted within this string:

PHYSICS:
    [non-mainstream link removed]

THEORIES:
    [linkfarm reference removed]

Through no fault of my own, I found this FAQ site. Read on!
    http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/index.html

Lastly, I found this site at random:
    http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/index.html
    I'm not sure what good it'll do for anybody who reads it, but for Cosmology-minded minds like me, it works fine as a guidesite.

Last edited by Swift; 2010-Jun-18 at 02:14 PM. Reason: remove dead link

Another Catalog

Hickson Compact Groups, this catalog has 100 listings.

Arp
    ATLAS OF PECULIAR GALAXIES
    HALTON ARP

Another list of catalogs

If catalogs are to be added, stars, nebula and galaxies would make good sub categories.

Nineplanets list of large telescopes, also has a great biography of Ptolemy.

http://casa.colorado.edu/hhcat/

This is an online list of all know Herbig Haro objects.

APOD images and descriptions of Herbig Haro objects

My interest in HH objects was rekindled when I found Hubbles Variable Nebula, and a claim that it is a HH object, associated with a T Tauri Star. I wonder if this is common?

The closest I have come to finding a catalog of T Tauri stars is
    http://legacy.gsfc.nasa.gov/W3Browse/all/v.../vstarsusp.html
    The VSTARSUSP database containing the New Catalog of Suspected Variable Stars (NSV).

One of the better lists I have seen for star types. I am not sure how to access it, nor is anyone is interested, I will post when I figure it our though

heres one in Moscow,
    http://www.sai.msu.su/groups/cluster/gcvs/gcvs/

APOD images and descriptions of T Tauri Stars

ATNF Pulsar Catalogue, v1.2: Documentation
    This looks like a comprehensive treatment of Pulsars, I Have seen a shortlist of about a hundred but this news release from Parkes put the number at over a thousand from Parkes alone in 1998.

the search for a thorough list of Pulsars continues.

types of pulsars

Basic

NASA, that explains that Pulsars emit along most wavelengths

A Gravitationally Powered Oscillatory Pulsar Model

ATNFPULSAR, has a great introductory and advanced introduction to pulsars, along with a catalog, (J0815+09 doesn't seem to be on it though)

The Princeton Group seem to be the other main group and have som great links including these Pulsar Maps(JAVA), again, doesn't have J0815+09

Some info on Nomenclature;

Basic

and from "Ecology" of Magnetic Rotators, well somthing else.
    copy from post Bi-Drifting Pulsar (23 Oct)

I am now looking at catalogs of molecular clouds. This was inspired by the Diagram of objects in between us and LBV 1806 - 20.

There are two obvious classifiers W and MC. So far, the best I have managed is an article about W31, the largest HII region in the Milky Way.

2mass Gallery of HII regions

Complete Abell Catalog of Planetary Nebulae

RCW catalog

OK I think I have found it.
    Westerhout's Catalogue of 82 Discrete Sources
    A survey of the continuous radiation from the Galactic System at a frequency of 1390 Mc/s (gif)

Galactic Radio Sources

KES (Abstract)

CTB (Abstract)

If you come across any other interesting nomenclature for astronomical objects let me know, this has been fun figuring out all this vague designations for astonomical objects

I'm not sure where this should go, but it is beautifully presented and worth a look.

A photographic Atlas of Selected Regions of The Milky Way

AlcyoneThe NASA Astrophysics Data System[/URL] is putting full records of Journal articles online, the Sharpless HII article was machine readable, now has PDF and Gif formats! THis is great

Now I am going into the past a bit here, so it could go under history or catalogs.

The SBO Palomar Sky Survey Prints

Catalogs, Atlases and Databases

The survey prints can be quried online from Here

The Palomar Globulars and Abstract

SEDS catalog of 150 known Globular Cluster

A more recent survey ACS Virgo Cluster Survey

And on Archaeoastronomy

Interactive Atlas of World Astronomy

and

Studies of Occidental Constellations and Star Names to the Classical Period

Contains links such as

A (PDF) files copy of Ptolemy's Catalogue of Stars by Christian Peters and Eduard Knobel (1915):

I have been looking at a lot of online Star Atlases, historical and current, and was thinking of a UT Star Atlas.
    This could be done in a number of ways. For starters, I will list the best I have found so far online, then
    we could sample pictures with links to objects in an Atlas thread, or Fraser could open a seperate section
    with a thread for each section, maybe in astrophotography, and people could post their astrophotographs
    by constellation, just an idea, what do you think .

Anyway, here are my favorite

Star Atlases online

The Hawaiian Astronomical Society Storybook and Deepsky Atlas

The Deep Photographic Guide to the constellations (all the sky)

Jan Wisniewskis tour of the sky

Project ASTRO UTAH

NASAs SkyView online Virtual Observatory

Chandra

and of course

Simbad
    and
    SEDS.

Clasical Atlases and Constellations from "Stars"

SkyEye

and

Heres a link to my Links page you might find some useful ones there.

13. 2004-Nov-03, 04:37 PM
    Reason
    Website seems buggy and gets malware warnings

lilroff9000 Guest
    Is there any more stuff like Celestia that has to do with real-time 3D space simulation that u can download

www.howstuffworks.com

here's a brilliant link. it's to a web site called how stuff works. it has info on lots of science and technology. check it out

I think it's worth listing this link - it's a quick and easy to read beginners guide to finding a suitable telescope:

Patrick Moore's Guide to buying a telescope

BBC Science

Here's a link for Orbital mechanics:

www.braeunig.us/space/orbmech.htm

First, I would like to endorse, for what is's worth, a few sites already mentioned by others.

Devilmech already pointed out Ned Wright's Cosmology Tutorial, and I want to emphasize that pick. It's more than the title implies. The News of the Universe section keeps you up to date on current events & research in cosmology. The Cosmological Fads & Fallacies section points out flaws in some of the more popular, but unsound alternative cosmologies. The main tutorial section has been translated into Italian and French.

Starlab points out two valuable sites. The Usenet Physics FAQ has combined the old, separate FAQs on physics and relativity & cosmology into one highly useful reference, along with a list of similar FAQ files elsewhere. The Level5 Knowledgebase from Caltech is a huge database on astronomy, astrophysics and cosmology; it includes a long list of papers reproduced from the Annual Reviews series, selected chapters from Cambridge University monographs, and a wealth of other information.

The Level5 site is part of the extensive NASA/IPAC Extragalactic Database, Amongst other things, you can look up data & images of just about any extragalactic NGC object. The HyperLeda Database provides a similar service, you can look up data on galaxies galore.

Now I haven't noticed the rest of these listed yet, but I find them useful, and you might also.

The ArXiv.Org e-Print archive, hosted by the library at Cornell University, is a repository of pre-prints & re-prints of scientific papers. In some cases, the papers can go back as far as about 20 years. Originally devoted to physics & mathematics, the archive now includes non-linear sciences (i.e., chaos theory), computer science and quantitative biology. In all cases the whole paper is available, usually as a PDF or PostScript file.

The NASA Astrophysics Data System is a similar archive of published papers, though in this case the whole paper is often not available (especially the recent ones which are still under close supervision by the original copyright holders), and sometimes even the abstract is not, just the reference. Over 1,000,000 papers in astronomy & astrophysics, and nearly 2,000,000 in physics & geophysics, sometimes dating back centuries. It also interfaces to the ArXiv archive.

Living Reviews is an online, free-access technical journal. It started out devoted entirely to relativity, but has now branched out to include solar physics. The papers are called "living" reviews, because once published on the web (and available as PDF too), the papers are periodically updated by the authors, in a manner not really plausible in the more traditional formats. Not for the mathematically faint-hearted, but a reliable source.

I have also written a few of my own webpages, which might be interesting. Most relavent to this forum perhaps, would be Solar Fusion & Neutrinos, The Hertzsprung Russell Diagram And Stellar Evolution, and the cosmic microwave background.

Finally, I will recommend the Physical Reference Data site from the National Institute of Standards & Technology. The reference site will show you the currently accepted values for all of the fundamental & derived constants of physics, such as Planck's constant!, or the Newtonian constant of gravitation!.
    Last edited by Swift; 2010-Jun-19 at 03:06 AM. Reason: checked - all links working

While looking into Masers, I found this site

Variable Star Of The Season

(while looking for info on VY Canis Majoris)

So, for info on Masers

What is a MASER?

Interstellar masers

For those interested, These are the maser sources I am interested in

The best estimate for a distance is about 100 ly from Sag A* for the IRS 16 cluster.
    Last edited by Swift; 2010-Jun-19 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Removed dead links

Hello Everyone,

I would like to add my two sites for consideration.

http://www.marsartgallery.com features images derived from the various missions to Mars. It just went live a couple weeks ago and I still have much content to add.

and

htp://www.astrodigital.org my other site with sections on Mars, Space Exploration, etc. Note that some parts of the site are quite dated.

BTW: if you are in the Chicago area you may want to visit another of my other web sites:

http://www.chicagospace.org the home of the Chicago Society for Space Studies.

Thanks.

Jim

Greg Maynard Guest
    One I am surprised not to have seen mentioned before on the space exploration side is the

Encyclopedia Astronautica

by Mark Wade containing an enormous amount of information on all space technology, past and present. Well worth a look.

Originally posted by zephyr46@Oct 30 2004, 03:26 AM
    I have been looking at a lot of online Star Atlases, historical and current, and was thinking of a UT Star Atlas.
    This could be done in a number of ways. For starters, I will list the best I have found so far online, then
    we could sample pictures with links to objects in an Atlas thread, or Fraser could open a seperate section
    with a thread for each section, maybe in astrophotography, and people could post their astrophotographs
    by constellation, just an idea, what do you think .
    Really good idea, this. I have been looking at the photographs people have put on UT and it has been wonderful, so the idea of a site with a growing atlas of maps and photographs with everyone able to contribute and view - simply fantastic! This sort of thing makes internet truly meaningful.

And thank you, everyone, for the sites today.

Guest Guest

Guest_Trevor Sproston Guest
    I see they've been converted to links - good-oh!

By the way - I seem to have sent them as an unregistered user. Silly me.

I did a quick scan, and I don't think these sites are listed yet. One is pretty obvious, the others are physics related. Those of you who know me from the BABB will remember that these are among my favorite references.

Biography and research

The Nobel Prize site.
    This has the biographies of all of the Nobel winners in all fields. It also has their Nobel lectures, some of which can be fairly detailed descriptions of the work that won them the prize.

Science News

American Institute of Physics Physics News Update
    My favorite link for breaking news in physics and some astronomy. Much more detailed and less sensationalistic than the typical press releases.

Physical Review Focus
    From the American Physical Society. Similar to PNU, but with specific links to articles published in the Society's journals Physical Review and Physical Review Letters. Notes on cutting edge research.

Physical Review Letters
    Speaking of cutting edge research, PRL is probably one of the most prestegious journals in the field. You'll need a subscription or pay to read the actual articles, but you can browse the abstracts for free. Any university physics library will have a subscription if you have access to one. Be warned, however, this journal is aimed at the practicing physicist. The amateur may have some difficulty, but don't let that deter you from browsing.

General Resource

The Particle Data Group
    Ahhhh, Saving the best for last. As a particle physicist, it's my favorite reference site. This is the encyclopedia of all data on particle physics. It also has review articles on tests of General Relativity, Big Bang cosmology, Big Bang nucleosynthesis, the CMB, Dark matter, and other astronomy-related topics. This site should be required reading for any ATM (against the mainstream) type. Know the status of current science before casting stones. It's also useful for others interested in cosmology and how particle physics relates to it. Again, it's aimed at the practicing scientist, but knowledgeable amateurs should be able to get a lot out of it.
    "I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - William Thompson, 1st Baron Lord Kelvin

"If it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" - Tweedledee

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli

Quote Originally Posted by Eta C

The Particle Data Group
    ... Again, it's aimed at the practicing scientist, but knowledgeable amateurs should be able to get a lot out of it.
    I can vouch for the last. Outstanding site.

Resources:
    http://members.aol.com/wsnspace/
    www.nasaspaceflight.com
    www.astronautix.com
    www.space.com
    www.spacedaily.com
    www.hobbyspace.com
    www.orbireport.com
    www.newmars.com
    www.russianspaceweb.com
    www.k26.com/buran
    www.buran.ru
    www.starshipmodeler.net (REAL SPACE MODELING thread)
    www.spaceislandgroup.com

Latest news:
    http://www.space.com/news/050810_dod_launcher.html
    http://www.space.com/businesstechnol...rived_cev.html
    http://www.thespacereview.com/article/421/1

Delta IV flambe'
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-05zi.html
    http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d310...launch/04.html
    http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d310...launch/03.html

HEAVY-LIFT
    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...view.asp?fid=5
    http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/for...iew.asp?fid=21

http://shuman.ifrance.com/launch_vehicles.htm
    http://www.safesimplesoon.com/media-images.htm
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1055
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1057

More HLLV news:
    http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...35/1007/news02

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...orl-home-promo

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...YT02/508020399

Shuttle-C
    http://www.orbit6.com/rockets/shuttlec.htm
    New
    http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/hear2015.htm
    More here:
    http://www.safesimplesoon.com/nextstep.htm
    http://www.atk.com/images_photogalle...erivatives.jpg
    http://www.safesimplesoon.com (Updated)

The Euros will be building this:

The Ariane M the European Very Heavy launch vehicle:
    http://forums.futura-sciences.com/thread25593.html
    http://www.marssociety.de/emc/proceedings/Ferra.pdf
    http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1040

The Russians are also looking at HLLV
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/angara100.html
    http://www.russianspaceweb.com/tks_followon.html

Aldridge report out:
    www.moontomars.org
    See Page 29-33 of 64 In Adobe
    Page 27-30 hardcopy

http://www.nsschapters.org/ny/nyc/Co...tober_25,_2003
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-03zzs.html
    http://www.starbooster.com/TALAYPanel3FINAL.pdf
    http://www.starbooster.com/aquila.htm
    http://www.projectconstellation.us/n...oration_system

http://images.spaceref.com/news/2005....cargo.med.jpg
    http://images.spaceref.com/news/2005/ilc.chart.med.jpg
    http://images.spaceref.com/news/2005/esmd.study.lrg.jpg
    http://images.spaceref.com/news/2005...lution.lrg.jpg
    http://www.ifrance.com/shuman/launch_vehicles.htm
    http://www.projectconstellation.us/a.../hercules.html
    www.starbooster.com/TALAYPanel3FINAL.pdf
    www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-03zzs.html
    http://mix.msfc.nasa.gov/IMAGES/MEDIUM/7781099.jpg

But Mike Griffin's hands have been tied, and EELV pushers have been trying to use their influence upon the White House OSTP--even though EELVs are an inferior product:
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-5za.html http://www.thespacereview.com/article/150/1

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/oped-04zc.html

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/185/1
    "The Aldridge Commission suggested that a heavy-lift vehicle was necessary, calling it an “enabling technology” for implementing the vision, yet also suggested that heavy-lift vehicles might be developed commercially..."

http://www.space.com/spacenews/busin...ay_040412.html

Michael Griffin, NASA’s associate administrator for exploration from 1991-1993, says the most logical approach, all things considered, is to spend the $3 billion or $4 billion it would cost to build a shuttle-derived heavy lifter and forget about EELV-driven approaches.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/150/1

"This examination shows there is no significant cost savings by pursuing the use of numbers of medium-lift vehicles when compared to the development of a new, shuttle-derived heavy lift booster. The development of such a heavy-lift booster supports the President’s space vision by providing the capability of lofting heavy payloads to the Moon in support of the construction of a lunar base as well as providing the capability to conduct other missions. I believe the development of a heavy booster in conjunction with the appropriate use of medium-lift boosters and modular spacecraft represents the most effective strategy for the US manned space program."

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/421/1

The Air Force has been an enemy of the Space Program.

http://www.justforfun-forum.com/foru...ce_110450.html

http://www.justforfun-forum.com/foru...II_110451.html

http://www.xprizenews.org/index.php?p=1059

P.S. More links here:

http://www.k26.com/buran/html/sea_launch.html

Engines
    http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd171.htm
    http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd170.htm
    http://www.astronautix.com/engines/rd180.htm

Proton
    http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/ur.htm

ICBMs
    http://www.spacedaily.com/news/icbm-04f.html
    http://www.astronautix.com/lvfam/topol.htm
    www.missilethreat.com
    www.MissileMaster.com
    ABM-bearing Naval craft are as vulnerable as the Stark or the Cole--and to this: http://www.deepangel.com/html/the_squall.html

Misc
    http://www.marshall.org/pdf/materials/211.pdf http://www.marshall.org/article.php?id=56

It's great to see this still being used. I haven't had a chance to update it, seeing as I've been deployed to Iraq for most of a year, and various other real life issues took precedence over my love of astronomy and science.

That being said, I would like to update this thread to contain current and useful info, so I shall need some input from any of you that might use it. I need you to tell me what info you wanna see here, and how I should present it. I'm afraid the current layout is a bit confusing, so I'd like to perhaps combine a few sections and make it more "user-friendly". Any input or ideas in this regard, please post them, and I promise I shall get around to updating this thread post haste.

One of the best Mars site i know www.nirgal.net .

Very complete.

Problem : It is in french.

Two more great radio astronomy links-
    http://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/ Home of Radio Jove
    http://radio.uindy.edu/radio/ Radio astronomy at the University of Indianapolis

Skepticism on all sorts of topics:

The SkepticWiki http://www.skepticwiki.org/wiki

Account creation: send an e-mail with real name and requested moniker to skepticwiki AT gmail.com