Thread: About Telescopes

When it would be ready that impressive telescope who appeared in a Discovery emission named "An eye on the Universe"? For details,I believe it is located in Chile and has four giant observatories that focuses the intercepted light in one central point.
    I know that until now, only Jupiter-sized planets have been discovered, with the aid of the Doppler effect or by recording a varriation of a star's emitting light when the giant planet passes in front. Would it be able to detect Earth-sized extrasolar planets,at a reasonable distance from its star so they can support life ?

Originally posted by alexsch@Apr 3 2004, 03:15 PM
    When it would be ready that impressive telescope who appeared in a Discovery emission named "An eye on the Universe"? For details,I believe it is located in Chile and has four giant observatories that focuses the intercepted light in one central point.
    You have this a little wrong the telescopes in chile are made to focus on big portions of the sky. The telescopes in Hawaii are made to focus on very small portions of the sky.

Originally posted by alexsch@Apr 3 2004, 03:15 PM
    I know that until now, only Jupiter-sized planets have been discovered, with the aid of the Doppler effect or by recording a varriation of a star's emitting light when the giant planet passes in front. Would it be able to detect Earth-sized extrasolar planets,at a reasonable distance from its star so they can support life ?
    Sorry for that last post i had i went back and read your post agian and it made more sence. But let me ask you something the tellescope is being made right?

I don't know for sure I understand your question .
    In case you are asking me about the importance of such telescope,I think there could be plenty of interesting applications . As I said, such powerfull device might be able to find some tracks of intelligent life out there. From here on, we would have a happy answer to an old question of mankind: are we alone in this BIG gathering of galaxies , stars, solar systems,etc.?