Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If We Do Find Aliens..

Developments on Earth are happening really fast. Humans are becoming more and more advanced and are now advancing further and further into the Solar System. Could it be the case, that we are under watch from Superior Extra Terrestial life who are seeing what we are up to, and to whom we are the babies of civilisation? And what happens if we do find out that we are being watched?
    Will it develop into Galaxy War 1, or would it lead to peaceful trading? Will the population explode in panic, or in enthusiasm?
    I'd like some feedback, just to see how people feel over this topic.

Sadly, the concept of trade seems to be rather limited. Other than artistic goods, or unique technologies, we would have very little to offer an interstellar species. Our resources don't seem to be very spectacular, all told.

I'm a little worried about how they'll react to us. Prediciting reactions is tough, which is why I'd like our species to be as advanced as possible.

:unsure:
    I'm a little worried about how they'll react to us. Prediciting reactions is tough, which is why I'd like our species to be as advanced as possible.
    QJones Posted on May 23 2004, 08:03 PM

Id go along with you, QJones, on that point! Id certainly like us to be as far advanced as it is possible to be for that kind of eventually! Though as Ive said before, in another thread, I, personally, dont think their are alien civilizations out there "spying" on us.

I think we need to improve our personalities and our ethics before we could handle contact with aliens. We don't seem, as a species, to be particularly welcoming to anyone different to ourselves. Just look how each nation treat its own neighbours when they differ in slight ways from them.

Maybe aliens would be so different from us that we'd accept them in the way that we accept dogs or butterflies. But I wouldn't be too optimistic about everyone welcoming them with open arms and open minds.

Seems more likely, to me, that the situation would be reversed!

Originally posted by Lord Illidan@May 23 2004, 03:21 PM
    Will it develop into Galaxy War 1, or would it lead to peaceful trading? Will the population explode in panic, or in enthusiasm?
    I think the aliens would help our society advance since trading wouldnt be beneficial to them. I dont think contact would start a war either because if they were 'bad' aliens, they probably would have killed us by now.

If we do find out that we're being watched, such information would stay in the government to prevent panic with the population.

Originally posted by Sp1ke@May 24 2004, 08:57 AM
    I think we need to improve our personalities and our ethics before we could handle contact with aliens. We don't seem, as a species, to be particularly welcoming to anyone different to ourselves. Just look how each nation treat its own neighbours when they differ in slight ways from them.

I believe you are right.

It's not only nations that treat other nationals different from themselves, it's also how we view our neighbour on the same street as us. How much discrimination goes on! If we can't treat others with different skin colours & different cultures to our own, how are we ever going to accept aliens, if they exist & are capable of entering into contact with us? :unsure:

Just dunno why we exist in this world, ppls treating each other just like a devil vs angel... no breaktime.

SkyBoard Guest
    Well, in terms of contact with aliens vs. humans perfecting their ethics and environmental awareness, it seems there are only two options awaiting us:

1) Aliens wait for an intellectual golden age of HomoSapiensSapiens before all-out public contact
    -or-
    2) Aliens come down ASAP to help us achieve that golden age.

Aliens may not be able to communicate with us as we and they could be made differently. Maybe tjhey would communicate with Radiation we wouldn't even be able to see. They may not have mouths. Their language may not have the same rules of grammer. What we call Relativity, they may call asdfnmjsd, where each letter stands for a different wvelenth or freuency of light.
    Breaking this communication gap may alone take hundreds of years.
    And they may not be able to show us the advanced way, as their planet may be freezing cold they they would use some low melting point metal like carbon,etc. for their machines, and they would be unfamiliar with silicon,etc..
    Still if they are carbon based ( thats a big 'if' ) then we may have some similarities. Those would help us, if we act wisely.

The biggest thing that aliens could teach us wouldn't rely on language or biology. The mere existence of another race would be a major shake up to quite a few philosophies.

It's one thing theorizing about the possibilities of alien life but its quite a different matter to actually have one visit us. If we're not the only form of life, it makes us less special in one way (humanity is just one, probably quite average, expression of life) but it also opens up opportunities (if there is one race out there then there are probably many more - think what we could learn from all of them)

I find it a little surprising that the folk on this thread, though clearly well versed in the infinite possibilites of the universe/s, feel we have nothing on Earth that would interest/benefit an alien race.
    To be fair, for the time being, if we encounter another species of life from space it's more likely that they will have found us, not the other way around.
    If that were the case, then one has to ask what reasons aliens would have for coming here.
    Are they:....
    • Curiously explorative (as we are)?

Searching for something?

Fleeing from something?

Hoping to discover 'life' (like us^2)?

If any of these are so, then here on Earth we have a lot to offer.
    Maybe the alien's tech will be so complex that even the greatest human minds cannot comprehend it, but they might never have heard music?

They may have seen places that they'd rather not remember, but we have room to hide them.

If they're looking for life.....well........they found it alright.

IMO I think we have a great deal to offer any extraterrestrial visitors, just as they would have for us. Just by being different, we could learn from the differences and how they approach things from an alien perspective. It's not necessary for us to have better toys than them, or vice versa.

But I think you raised a vital point, String Fan. Why would these aliens have contacted us? If they are just exploring and incurably nosy like us, then as long as we treat them like equals, we should get on fine.

And if they're looking for something that we have in abundance and that we don't place any value on, we can probably trade peacefully.

But although I'm optimistic and would welcome any contact by ETs, I'm not sure we as a race would handle the contact very well, based on how we treat each other.

Originally posted by Sp1ke@May 25 2004, 02:55 PM
    And if they're looking for something that we have in abundance and that we don't place any value on,

What? Like global friendship and decency?

LOL
    I said "that we have in abundance..."

How about selfishness and narrow-mindedness?

But not to get too depressed about it, I think if everyone does their best to live a live of global friendship and decency, they'll eventually infect the rest of the population with a more ethically advanced approach. (...maybe)

How would we communicate with the Aliens? I'm sure they don't speak English or Spanish or understand our gestures.

See the topic "using prime numbers to communcate with aliens". I'd love to see this very thing happen, but I believe it's wishful thinking. I'd love to her alien music (if there is such a thing given that music relies on auditory senses).

Through time we have used images, writings and painting to spread our messgae and details about the world, in Paintings of christian ideas, medival scripts, Hindu sculpture, Chinese temples, large cathedrals, old scrolls...all these use sculptures and images in the past. Even in prehistoric times man used this method

Even animals can understand images

and can also be trained, like Dolphins and monkey. NASA even trained some chimpanzee for Space experiment

how to send your messgae to an alien?
    use pictures to communicate !

http://seti.uws.edu.au/main/contact1.htm

What happens when they try to 'train' us to understand them?

What if they can't see like us. What if they see in infrared? ultraviolet? You know, our visual spectrum is very small.

dolphins can't see either, they use a type of sonar but can understand communication using shapes, pictures and objects. By using their dolphins sonar they can detect the structure of these shapes and people have communictaed with dolphins this way.

Underwater Touch Screen For The Dolphins
    Since dolphins cannot interact with computers using traditional means, we have searched for alternate methods which will allow them to interact with their Mac computer. We tried to teach the dolphins to use an acoustic joystick, a way of controlling a computer cursor with sounds. They did not show sustained interest in the concept, and in the early 90's the logistics of programming the computer to recognize their complex sound was problematic. However during initial tests using a TV display device which responds to sound with light patterns, the dolphins controlled the display by squeaking their rostrums against the underwater windows in their tank. This suggested the design of an underwater touchscreen. During 1992 and 1993 we worked with Carroll Touch, (now Elo TouchSystems) in Texas, one of the country's major touchscreen manufacturers. Their design is dolphin safe: infrared beam production and sensing electronics are in the lab, and a "reflector frame" on the dolphin side of the underwater window bends the beams 90 degrees so they run parallel to the window surface. Control of the computer through touch allows the dolphins to run programs that to make choices in various experiments devised to explore their mental abilities and preferences

But maybe we aren't so smart if we have trouble understanding dolphins, maybe they will train' us to understand them as QJones said!!

Maybe the aliens are bored and will find us amusing enough to keep us as pets. They'll build little boxes for us to sleep in, put a nice colorful collar around our necks with tags identifying our alien owners, and they'll put out bowls of food and water for us to eat. :blink:

Maybe the alien's population has exceed one trillion, and they need new food sources so they'll use us like cattle. "Hmm, I like the cut of that human skin coat you're wearing!" Gross, but possible.

Maybe they won't even know we're here and keep flying by ignorant of our existence. We don't really put out that much EM radiation compared to the natural sources in the galaxy, and the range our signals have reached is still so tiny. We're on a small little world orbiting an average little star out in the periphery of the galaxy. We may never get noticed. :huh:

And maybe we're the only life in this galacy, or at least the first inteligent life to evolve. Maybe it'll be us that goes out to find the primitive little aliens on their primitive little world and make them pets, or food, or clothes, or never even notice them because they don't make a big enough splash on the galaxy for us to find them. B)

Maybe aliens have already visited us before but we just didn't know it. What about all the UFO's. Don't you think that at least one of those UFO's could actually be aliens exploring our world. If so that means that those aliens are much more advenced then us 'cause they found us before we found them which tells us that they're more advanced. But I think that if we ever find life it would be some kind of simple life like bacteria or something that's microscopic.

The modern era of UFO's began after the end of WWII, when we suddenly went from slow propeller driven planes to jets, rockets, and atomic bombs. If you could see lined up all of the things the US government alone has put into the air over the last 60 years I think you suddenly realize that UFO's are nothing more the experimental planes, balloons, and rockets that none of us were ever meant to know about.

No. I don't think any of the sightings are aliens.

Hello You and All
    Im new here it's my first time entering this site. My knowledges is very low also my Engilsh language isn't ok. However I got your mean and try to tell my idea by using your words and your sentences.
    I like your question I have thought about that since about 30 yeasr ego.
    Sometimes I believe that YES we are under watch from Superior Extra Terrestial life who are seeing what we are up to, and we are the babies of civilisation to whom.
    I think during next 100-200 years we will find out that we are being watched and in this case it will help to peace and the population will explode in panic.
    As you have said "Developments on Earth are happening really fast" yes it is true but I think it is fast only for us BUT not to whom are (or were&#33 in Superior Extra Terrestial. In my mind they have atleast one BLIND POINT about us and it is about <tense or speed> their tense is very shorter than us (may be 1 to 1000,000,1000) and they think that our tense in the Earth is the same as theirs. If they get this point immediately they will meet us&#33; but I can not say where this meetind will occur? on Earth? In space or may be they will transfer us to their home or to some other stars. I like see that but I know it is soon yet and it will not heppend for my life.
    I hope my email make you happy and you have some lol by this.

I&#39;d like some feedback too, just to see how people feel over this topic. please spread your hidden ideas all our the world

Lordlllidan
    Hello did you see my idea about what you have asked about aliens?

Originally posted by John L@May 28 2004, 02:27 PM
    Maybe the aliens are bored and will find us amusing enough to keep us as pets. They&#39;ll build little boxes for us to sleep in, put a nice colorful collar around our necks with tags identifying our alien owners, and they&#39;ll put out bowls of food and water for us to eat. :blink:

Maybe the alien&#39;s population has exceed one trillion, and they need new food sources so they&#39;ll use us like cattle. "Hmm, I like the cut of that human skin coat you&#39;re wearing&#33;" Gross, but possible.

Maybe they won&#39;t even know we&#39;re here and keep flying by ignorant of our existence. We don&#39;t really put out that much EM radiation compared to the natural sources in the galaxy, and the range our signals have reached is still so tiny. We&#39;re on a small little world orbiting an average little star out in the periphery of the galaxy. We may never get noticed. :huh:

And maybe we&#39;re the only life in this galacy, or at least the first inteligent life to evolve. Maybe it&#39;ll be us that goes out to find the primitive little aliens on their primitive little world and make them pets, or food, or clothes, or never even notice them because they don&#39;t make a big enough splash on the galaxy for us to find them. B)
    May be aliens are watching us right now and they see our talking here in inernet in this site&#33;. so I like say them:
    Hello All Dear aliens..how are you doing today? why don&#39;t you come down and contact us? what is the problem? it is so late please hurry up and joint us.

May be aliens are watching us right now and they see our talking here in inernet in this site&#33;. so I like say them:
    Hello All Dear aliens..how are you doing today? why don&#39;t you come down and contact us? what is the problem? it is so late please hurry up and joint us.

rambo07 Guest
    you know if i were an alien and i was here already ,but undercover, this would be the perfect site to ask me a question and get a really good answer&#33;

There was an interesting point that I think Akbar was making. What if aliens&#39; perception of time was completely different to ours?

If you&#39;ve ever tried to swat a fly, you know how quick they move so they must see time passing much more slowly than we do. How about if it&#39;s not just related to body size and aliens actually experience reality at a billionth of our speed? Or a billion times faster? That would make it a real challenge to communicate, or even perceive their presence.

If they moved at or close to the speed of light, they&#39;d be much more familiar with the mass/energy relationships of relativity.

Is there anything in physics that makes this a stupid idea?