Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all

Hey all

This is my first post at the BABB. I have been lurking for a few months, but have now joined. I enjoy reading and discussing all astronomy-related topics, but I tend to focus mostly on planetary science. Anyways, I look forward to being apart of this board.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Superstring on 2002-10-19 09:31 ]</font>

Another Tar Heel. Excellent! Soon we will have sufficient numbers to take over the board. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't mean to string you along but think it's super your here. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome aboard. I hope the PUNishment is not too much to bear. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]

Yes, you have to be careful when you read these threads. They can twist you right out of alignment. I hope you have the fiber to handle it. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome aboard.

Some of the threads here are simply old yarns that have been strung out for discussion yet again. Other times, it's simply a troll throwing out his line to bait unwary posters into a furious reply, so I would suggest that you knot try to tackle these ones. Occasionally it's a prankster who's just ribbon you.

LOL thanks for the welcome. I chose the screenname "Superstring" after the hypothetical small particles within the universe, as I'm sure you all know hehe. Thanks again. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Superstring on 2002-10-19 15:04 ]</font>

You Tar Heels wipe your feet on the mat before you even think of walking on my new rug!!!!

On 2002-10-19 20:47, heliopause wrote:
    You Tar Heels wipe your feet on the mat before you even think of walking on my new rug!!!!
    My, my aren't we feeling selfish today. Oh well, will do. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

On 2002-10-19 20:47, heliopause wrote:
    Yeah!! Keep your feet off his toupee! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

PS Count the Texans before your attempted coup.

On 2002-10-20 09:35, Kaptain K wrote:
    Yeah!! Keep your feet off his toupee! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

PS Count the Texans before your attempted coup.
    Hey, my feet aren't THAT tarry. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Count the Texans before your attempted coup.
    OK, there seems to be 26 of them, if you count Jetmech0417. That's a lot less than the Brits--but regardless, the seven tarheels should be able to handle both. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

7 to 26? Well, I guess we'll all just have to tie one hand behind our backs to give the Texans a fair shot. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2002-10-20 13:04, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
    Count the Texans before your attempted coup.
    OK, there seems to be 26 of them, if you count Jetmech0417. That's a lot less than the Brits--but regardless, the seven tarheels should be able to handle both. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    You can count me as #8 - I may live in Maryland, but I was born in Charlotte. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Uh-oh, it's quiet, too quiet.

Well, count me as number 27, then. I'm from Big D. myself. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Just keep your phasers set to pun and they'll never stand a chance *ducks under cover in Maryland*

On 2002-10-21 10:05, Doodler wrote:
    *ducks under cover in Maryland*
    A typical turtle ! [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nebularain on 2002-10-21 14:26 ]</font>

On 2002-10-21 08:28, David Hall wrote:
    Well, count me as number 27, then. I'm from Big D. myself. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Then I'm 28, as I hail from the greater Marfa - Alpine metropolitan area. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] One of the suburbs, Ft. Davis, has the McDonald Observeatory http://www.as.utexas.edu/mcdonald/het/het.html with the Hobby-Ebberly Telescope (HET). One of the new generation of giants. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]

We Yankees just love to sit back and watch you Rebs fighting amongst yourselves... [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2002-10-21 14:55, Donnie B. wrote:
    We Yankees just love to sit back and watch you Rebs fighting amongst yourselves... [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    It'd take somebody from Taxachussetts to miss the point like that. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

On 2002-10-21 14:54, Russ wrote:
    On 2002-10-21 08:28, David Hall wrote:
    Then I'm 28, as I hail from the greater Marfa - Alpine metropolitan area. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img] One of the suburbs, Ft. Davis, has the McDonald Observeatory http://www.as.utexas.edu/mcdonald/het/het.html with the Hobby-Ebberly Telescope (HET). One of the new generation of giants. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif[/img]
    Wow. Marfa is an exotic locale to hale from (I'm also from Dallas). Have there been any discussion of the Marfa lights on this board?

Wow. Marfa is an exotic locale to hale from (I'm also from Dallas). Have there been any discussion of the Marfa lights on this board?
    Hey Z: No there has not.

What Z is talking about is this: http://www.marfalights.com/ which is about as yellow press, sensationalist as I have seen. "The Marf Ghost Lights" really are interesting in the right hands. I just couldn't find a site that told you more, quickly.

Even the scientists at the McDonald Observatory outside of Ft. Davis (near by) have looked into the cause of these lights. To the best of my knowledge they found out nothing about them.

I've seen them, and while I don't have a clue what they are, I can say they are not the following: ball lightening, static electricity, car headlights reflected through atmospheric conditions, stars through..ibid, town/city lights through...ibid. I've seen all of those and TMGL don't look like any of them. "IF" you can catch them them out, they put on a pretty good show. When they are out, they are out rain or clear, any time of the year. They did leave me with a kind of creapy feeling, I guess because I couldn't figure out what they are.

I've seen them, too! They are pretty cool. Little lights just pop up and vanish all over the place out in the distance. (Someone suggested there were atually little trolls or gnomes, or something along those lines, with lanterns that popped out of holes in the ground and disappeared back into them.)

Hmmm. These Marfa lights sound a lot like the Brown Mountain Lights here in North Carolina. A quick Google search turns up a number of links about these. Some are pretty hokey. The following is slightly less so.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/R...wnmtnlite.html

On 2002-10-21 22:37, Espritch wrote:
    Hmmm. These Marfa lights sound a lot like the Brown Mountain Lights here in North Carolina. A quick Google search turns up a number of links about these. Some are pretty hokey. The following is slightly less so.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/R...wnmtnlite.html
    They do sound similar but I have never heard of a Marfa light ever coming near anyone. There has been much argument over whether they are close and small or far and large but no one whom I know has every been touched by one.

What is a Tar Heel? Has it to do with tobacco plantation? I'm curious.[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[Is it a nick for North Carolina people?]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2002-10-22 16:46 ]</font>

On 2002-10-22 16:40, Argos wrote:
    What is a Tar Heel? Has it to do with tobacco plantation? I'm curious.[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

[Is it a nick for North Carolina people?]
    LOL "Tar Heel State" is a nickname for NC. Thus, I'm considered a tar heel. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On 2002-10-22 16:57, Superstring wrote:

LOL "Tar Heel State" is a nickname for NC. Thus, I'm considered a tar heel. [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Thanks, Superstring.

So, the people of NC immerse their feet in tar. Still have one more question. The tar the nick refers to, is it that of petroleum or tobacco's? Thanks in advance.

I explain: in my native language the term corresponding to "tar" relates both to petroleum and tobacco derivatives.

(Excuse me for being somewhat out of topic. I have a genuine interest for cultural data)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2002-10-22 17:31 ]</font>

On 2002-10-22 17:19, Argos wrote:
    I explain: in my native language the term corresponding to "tar" relates both to petroleum and tobacco derivatives.
    It does in our language (American English) too. But the tar in Tarheel refers to petroleum tar.

According to one story, North Carolinians got the nickname tar heels during a battle in the American Revolutionary War. A regiment from the Old North State held its ground while regiments from other states broke and ran, prompting a commanding officer to remark that “Those Carolina boys stand and fight like they have tar on there heels.” This story is probably apocryphal.

I suspect the real origin of the name is related to the production of pine tar (extracted from pine trees by burning the wood slowly in tar kilns). North Carolina produced a lot of tar this way up through the first half of the twentieth century. I think the industry was eventually supplanted by petroleum based tar.