Thread: Discussion: Perseids Will Peak on August 11

SUMMARY: The annual Perseid meteor shower has already started, but it's going to peak on the night of August 11, with observers in dark locations seeing upwards of 60 meteors an hour. This year could be special, though, since the Earth is expected to pass through a brand new filament of material left over from Comet Swift-Tuttle when it flew past in 1862. This year's Perseids could turn into a full fledged meteor storm, but the only way to know for sure is to get out and watch. The best time will be after 11 pm, in the darkest skies you can find.

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

I plan to watch it. The problem is finding the right location. We recently went to Eastern Washinton to go star gazing only to be caught in a middle of the biggest Dust storm I had ever seen. It looked like the scene from a movie...

Maybe it's a bad season this year to watch such romantic scene, because of the thickness mist and the rain...

I plan on watching again with my kids this year. I'd love to have a meteor storm that night.

man i cant wait what will be the best time in wichita ks. my kids and i have seen a few every nite about 10:00.

Drat! We're supposed to get clouds and rain around then. One thing I miss about southern Arizona, clear dark skies with unbelievably abundant bright-shining stars. One thing I don't miss about Arizona, especially at this time of year, sometimes I can open the windows on a cool Missouri night, pull up a blanket and sleep comfortably with a soft, fragrant breeze wafting through. Unfortunately, here the telescope stays covered most of the time. I guess I'll have to settle for thunderstorm lightening when I want to see the natural fireworks in the skies. Enjoy it all of you who get to see the meteor shower.

Forcasts are for it to be cloudy & rainy all week here near Chicago too

BTW, is this pronounced "Per-See-Ids"?

We are supposed to hot and dry this time of year! But no, the only rain we get has to be this week. I did go out Sunday night and was treated to a few in an hour or so.