Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battlefield Earth bad science in a lousy movie

Ha! There is an exception to every rule!

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    I've never heard of "Scientology". What is it, in short?

Just about any religion that actively exploits its followers is bad in my book. -Colt

If you get an ache in your jaw it's because you remember when you used to be a Clam and you have an alien living in your head, when you die that alien goes to a waiting room on mars until it's his turn to live in someone elses head.

There it is in a nutshell, or is that case?

Anyway they will take lots of cash off you to tell you that.

If you don't like it they will put you in a 'rehab' centre until you kill yourself.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    [/Counselor Troi voice] I sense . . . anger. [/end Counselor Troi voice]

C'mon David Hall don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about it. :wink:
    Yes, sorry. Reading that book did make me very angry. Just about everything I read about Scientology and Hubbard was the absolute antithesis of everything I hold true and good. Hubbard was a true paranoid schitzophrenic and a compulsive liar, and it rubbed off onto his organization. It has a strong us-vs-them mentality and a disdain for anything percieved as weakness. Scientology not only condones dishonesty, it actively teaches it's followers how to lie effectively. People who try to question or break away from the organization are not just passively rejected, they are treated as "fair game", which means "true" scientologists are supposed to actively harrass and menace the traitors. This is true even if it's a spouse or other member of your own family. There are stories of members pretending to be supportive friends and neighbors simply to get close to these traitors so that they can harrass them more efficiently. The treatment of any infraction of the rules is treated with great severity, to the extent of physical and mental torture for some ranks. And they will find out about your transgressions, because the whole auditing process involves revealing everything you've thought about or done, and information about others as well. They don't believe in doctors, because illnesses are actually caused by "blocked thetans" or some such nonsense and therefore the prescribed treatment is heavy auditing and physical exertion. People have died from these "treatments". Children are not supposed to be given love or support, but are nuisances to be tolerated, treated essentially like adults, and given sub-standard educations. The CoS has all but taken over the downtown area of Clearwater, Florida, and has been trying underhandedly to gain control the government there as well. They've also taken over and surreptitiously run the Cult Awareness Network, and you can probably guess why. And last but definitely not least, the whole thing revolves around milking as much money as possible out of the people and skimming it off to feed the higher-ups, using dummy corporations and other financial chicanery that would make an Enron executive green with envy.

There may be worse cults out there, but this is the one that I'm familiar with. It's big, it's highly organized, and it's designed inside and out to limit as much personal freedom as possible and make it's followers believe that's a good thing. It's more than enough.

What is Scientology

Quote Originally Posted by captain swoop
    If you don't like it they will put you in a 'rehab' centre until you kill yourself.
    Now now, only one case of suicide induced by a Scientology rehab center has ever been confirmed.

No, what's really scary about the Scientologists is the little branch called the Sea Org.

So why do you think the Hollywood types go for it big time?

Quote Originally Posted by jrkeller
    So why do you think the Hollywood types go for it big time?

Actors have small brains?
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I think actor types go in for it because as a whole they seem to be interested in "alternative" stuff. New Age, alternative medicine, they love it. And the CoS deliberately pampers to celebrity, making sure they are happy and well-cared-for, and therefore perfect role-models and spokesmen for the cause. I'll bet dollars for doughnuts that none of them have ever seen what the real Scientology is like.

MAJOR BUMP - but we do have more news on this.

Writer apologizes for Battlefield Earth (video only)

Named worst film of the decade at the razzies last month.

"I penned the suckiest movie ever. Sorry"

I read this earlier. Here's a non-video version of the story. I got a good chuckle from it, though I've never actually seen BE.

1. Battlefield Earth sucked.

2. Scientology is nothing but a life-wrecking scam.

3. I am not afraid of the CO$. I am prepared to use deadly force to protect myself from any crazy scientologist, or any religious nutcase, for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
    I read this earlier. Here's a non-video version of the story. I got a good chuckle from it, though I've never actually seen BE.
    Thanks Fazor, that was a great read. I did see the movie, and I can completely understand his demeanor.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

It would be interesting to see the original screenplay. I'm sure it was modified heavily and it might have been better, with possibly a more coherent story, but I have serious doubts anything connected to "Battlefield Earth" would ever have been good.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I read the book (I was desperate), so I knew enough to avoid the movie. Mysterious gas that goes all unstable when radiated? Planet with so few natural radioactives this works? Base 11 arithmetic being particularly better or worse than base 10?

The book was the first book by Elron I've read; it's also the last.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Well it's not like this is the first time that's been used in the movies.

The end of Planet of the Apes 2 (ok, Beneath the Planet of the Apes- 1970) has the human holocaust descendents setting off a 'cobalt bomb' that ignites the Earth's atmosphere, obliterating all life - one of the creepiest movie endings ever...

And several Star Trek episodes had planetary atmospheres being ignited.

Still not good science, but it's been done before.