Thread: Forum Chatroom

xXxDarkSkyNitexzxXx Guest
    Hi Mr.Fraser and guys from Forum. It there any possibility that we can include a chatroom in this forum? Beacuse it faster to know the things we wanna know in this way. We do not need to type and wait for like days for the reply. Thxs i though i don't know if setting up a chatroom will cost. But if this can be implemented i'm sure more people will join this forum~~~tataxz

14fromsingapore :P :blink:

StarLab Guest
    DSN, have you ever used your PM? At all? THAT is the UT version of chat rooms: two per person, private of course, but faster replies.

I've talked about this a bit in the past. The problem with a chatroom is that as the hosting website, I'm responsible for what gets said inside it. Since it's all realtime, it would essentially require that someone in authority hang out there fulltime. I don't really have the time for that right now.

So, this forum is nearly realtime. Post and question and then come back a few hours later and you're likely to have an answer. As Starlab said, you can always send someone an email or PM, or even use on of their instant messaging options.

A chat room is something I'll probably add down the road, but I see it as a temporary feature that I'd turn on while we've got someone interesting on the site that the readers would like to talk to.

I'm in no hurry for a UT chat room. I have to think through and research my responses, sometimes doing some math. That really isn't the kind of thing I want to do in a chat room.
    Forming opinions as we speak

I like Fraser's idea of having someone interesting to talk with occasionally. With enough lead time, we would probably end up with a very interesting discussion.

StarLab Guest
    What about Oliver, Fraser? He has some good ideas, he's the site Pro with an idea, he's our guy for the job - granted, his position and theory is certainly a bit extreme, but that bit of overlooked necessity won't not fit in with your expressed idea.

Hey Fraser, do you have anyone that you would want to talk about in a chatroom yet?

Well, if you want a place to chat, you're all welcome to use the chatroom I put up a few months ago for Orbiter. It's usually not very busy in here, so the chatroom should be pretty quick. And it's self moderating (using a bot that will kick off any rougue user)

If you have JAVA and don't want to install mIRC, you can go there here:

http://www.moonport.org/orbiterchat/

If you have mIRC (or any IRC client) installed, you can get there this way:

IRC Servername: irc.spacetronix.net
    Ports: 6660-6669,7000
    Channel #Orbiter

When connected, simply type /join #Orbiter

So if you want to chat, it's available for you.

Well set up a time and date Jim, Im sure that at least a couple people will join.... I probably would.

Victoria Guest
    Shoot, I must of missed somethng. :wacko: :P

We can also exchange AIM names and have a chat through AIM. That way Fraser will not have to worry about modding it.

Once I had a 6-7 way discussion with members of this forum in msn

I have done it before with ten people. It can very enlightening and it sharpens your typing skills. Anyone game?

Alright, my AIM screen name is bossman20081, surprised?

On some sites I've been on, not to do with space or astronomy, they have some sort of "celebrity" where you have a web chat - a bit like a chatroom. What Fraser said about having some sort of an "occaisional" chatroom ties in with this idea. We could ask a well-known scientists to come online and have a quick webchat where we can ask as many questions as we like.

Anyone like this idea?

StarLab Guest
    We already have Doc Oliver, as Fraser so kindly reminded me. If you want to go the next step like physicsforums did though, you can ask Fraser if that's at all possible.

I mean, if everyone agrees with the idea I will get in touch with Fraser, unless of course he's already reead this.

Do you, as a moderator find this a good idea, and anyone else as members such as myself?

Rigel