Thread: Tomorrows world

When I was four years old, I thought that by the time I was old enough to drive, I would be driving a hover car. I'm not.

When I was four, I thought that I would be able to stay in bed all day while a robot took care of evrything. I'm tired.

In 1970, we thought we would be on mars by 1985. We don't even have a shuttle to get into orbit.

The same things are happening everywhere. Is technology really moving fast.
    If life really that different than it was 300 years ago. Honestly I think it isn't.

The movie "I, robot" is set in the year 2035. I bet life will be almost exactly the same as it is now. Well, it it changes it will be for the worse.

I'm young now, i'll die the same as age my grandfather.

"futurama" is set in the year 3000. It is very hard to think what life will be like in the future. But then again, It is the future. I think life has changed very little since 1000 and life will change at the same rate for the next 1000 years.

Being realistic, what do you think life will be like in the future.

StarLab Guest
    Bicentennial Man provides a realistic look. :unsure:

And in comparison to 300 years ago, humans live longer.

Although personally, I think the internet is the end of innovation. h34r:

I don't think we'll ever have hover cars, but sometime in the near future companies will probably start making more environmentally friendly cars.

We have a few robots now that do things like vaccum and mow the lawn by themselves. They're nowhere near being as advanced as the robots in movies, but it's a start. When you really think about it, having a robot that could do anything would be boring. Having one that could clean the house would be nice but I can see people getting carried away and having robots do everything possible, even jobs. That would leave humans doing nothing but eating bags of chips in front of the TV for their entire lives.

I can't remember the name of it, but there was a story I read a few years ago about two sibblings that find a book from our time. They never saw anything like it before because they were used to reading things off a computer. The book was about how we go to school, hang out with friends, etc. They thought it sounded like so much fun- going to class with other people instead of staying at home and being taught by a robot. It makes you realise how lucky we are now...

As for space travel, I think in the next hundred years we'll have colonies on the Moon and Mars. When you think about it, we've come a long way as far as this technology goes. Just a little more than 100 years ago the idea of an airplane was thought of as impossible. Now we transport thousands of people by air every day, we've broken the sound barrier, and travelled to the moon multiple times.

Because of advances in medicine, our generation is expected to live to be around 100. I believe that someone will find the cure for cancer and AIDS in our lifetime.

For the far future, I don't think it will get to be like something in Futurama but it's hard for us to predict what will happen then. A lot of neat scifi things would be possible for us to do in the future, but that's if we don't get hit by an asteroid or kill ourselves in a nuclear war first.

What’s changed in the last 200 years?

To travel from New York to Chicago would have taken at least three weeks. Today it takes less than three hours, a change of two orders of magnitude.

To send a message from New York to London and receive a reply would have taken about three months. Today it takes less than a second, a change of seven orders of magnitude.

On average people live more than twice as long today as they did in 1805. Infant mortality is about two orders of magnitude lower today.

We don’t live in near constant, and realistic, fear that we, or those close to us, will be struck down in significant fractions by smallpox, yellow fever, cholera, and a host of other diseases. Even more frightening, in 1805, they hadn’t a clue as to cause: the germ theory of disease was seven decades in the future.

Today tooth pain is experienced, if at all, on a small number of occasions in one’s life. The pain can be stopped; the tooth can usually be saved; and no one worries about losing life to tooth de-cay. Today, we know how to set bones.

About ten times the percentage of people can read and write today compared to 1805. Almost everyone in developed countries has access to a full spectrum art, including literature, music, sculpture and architecture.

In 1805 tens of millions of people were slaves in dozens of countries. Women had little control over their reproductive lives, and hardly more over all other aspects of their lives. Almost all oc-cupations and almost all opportunity for education were closed to women.

Democracy with civil rights and civil liberties was a brand new, very limited, and imperfect ex-periment.

Men were imprisoned for owing money; were put on the street in London in cages to beg for money to pay their debts.

At night one had to read by candlelight; in the winter you would be cold; and hot in the summer. One had to keep a chamber pot in one’s bedroom, because it was too dangerous to walk in the dark to the outhouse.

Amazing! How things are different and for the better.

Bob

StarLab Guest
    New social institutions

Telecommunications

Improved health

I'm not sure the list is any bigger than that... :unsure:

Originally posted by galaxygirl@Feb 3 2005, 12:50 AM
    having a robot that could do anything would be boring.
    I agree with that, computers (like robots) are taking are jobs. They just about fly our planes, build are cars, searth the heavens- just about everything in the future will with have a computer chip in.

I notieced many peopkle were saying how health has inproved. Has it really? I may well of done in your country and mine but millions are dying all over the show in the poorer countries of the world.

Democracy is still in its infant years in my opinion. Many countries have no say for who leads them and in the one that do, are you perfectly happy about how its ran? i'm not!

Originally posted by StarLab@Feb 2 2005, 09:12 PM
    Although personally, I think the internet is the end of innovation. h34r:
    There's always more to modify and innovate, so I don't think that's the limit.
    I think advances will occur in telecommunications and transport. Others will be to restrict pollution and maintain the environment.

StarLab Guest
    Ola, putting millions of people in cyberspace will freeze the entire species!

Ola, putting millions of people in cyberspace will freeze the entire species!
    Non-sense StarLab :wacko: . If anything it will speed up innovation, because infomation is so freely available and idea's and concepts can be shared and obtained quiekly.

Sorry StarLab i'm with ola on this one!

What’s changed in the last 200 years?

To travel from New York to Chicago would have taken at least three weeks. Today it takes less than three hours, a change of two orders.........................................
    Couldn't have said it better myself Bob!

In the future we won't be able to breathe unless the US and China start taking climate change seriously.

I have only two disappointments; seen in perspective, they are minor indeed.

1) My Dick Tracy wrist radiotelevisiphone is still on back order.

2) Back when computers were still interfaced by means of punched cards, it was envisioned that an improved operating system and user interface would promote universal access and literacy, with unlimited data storage. This would enable THE END OF ALL OFFICE PAPER. So what's the holdup?

Okay, that last contained some naive assumptions about human nature, and hierarchies. Aside from those two, things are noticeably better within my lifetime. for the all-time least favorite, or Thing I Miss The Least category, the winner is (no contest):

1) Teaching children the bend-over-and-kiss-your-***-goodbye drill as a comforting defense against thermonuclear holocaust.

There are no runners-up. All of today's enemies, and all of today's engineered perceptions of enemies, now strut and posture upon a stage of the proper size.

Yours in hope Steve

Try this link.

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=4096634

Looks like the aircar may be in the near future.

"unless the US and China start taking climate change seriously."

Meteorologists can’t tell you what the temperature will be next week, let alone in a hundred years. Climatologists can’t tell you how soon Chicago, Toronto and London will be under a kilometer of ice. It doesn’t seem to me that it’s a slam dunk that these same people really know for sure that it’s going to be two degrees warmer in the next century.

And even if Earth will be warmer, it won’t be like it’s a new thing. The Earth was warmer for most time in the geologic past.

Life, holding the amount of water constant, increases in quantity and diversity the higher the temperature, i.e., the Earth on average is not optimally warm enough for life. Or, to be alarmist about it: The Earth is Too Cold for Life. The approaching ice age needs to be staved off. A warmer Earth should be wetter; higher temperatures increase evaporation, yielding more rain. And many parts of the world will be better off a little warmer.

Maybe global warmer is a good thing; and good things hardly require a solution to reverse them.

Plus, we’ve hardly begun to figure out how to solve the problem if it exists, and if it is a problem: CO2 sequestration? Manipulating day and night cloud cover? A sun shade at the L1 point? Or, unimaginatively, a return to the Pleistocene? And there are hundreds of other possibilities.

Taking a little time to figure out this problem doesn’t seem dumb to me. Relax. Take a little time to think this through. As a bonus, a good understanding of this issue should enable us to deflect the next ice age when the time comes—by heating the Earth.

Bob

People look to the future and think of hover cars( lol what gass guzzlers they would be)

Humaniod robots-- interesting and more likely to get tripped over in the dark than be really usefull.

the really usefull robots are here now
    my toaster tha does not need to be watched and opened just as the toast is ready-- the washing machine the adjusts the wash cycle to suit the clothes
    ( and i dont have to cut any more wood to stoke up its fire)
    the thermostatically controlled hot water--- the list goes on these are the real robots that save us time and energy.

the mind boggles at the robotic things that are packed into the latest cars( even the annoying one that rings a bell as soon as you exceed the speed limit)

robotics and computors will take over the world one day and us humans will have nothing more to do than talk endlessly on forums

On a cynical note: I do not take seriously any discussion of how humans are "incresing "

On a cynical note: I do not take seriously any discussion of how humans are "increasing" CO2 levels in the modern atmosphere.

Before the biome sequestration caused by railroads, highways, firebreaks, lawns and pavement, the end of a dry season on the Great Plains (or the steppes or pampas) followed by a thunderstorm... routinely resulted in a firestorm the size of the Louisiana Purchase. I suppose that no CO2 was produced, and no species or ecologies were inconvenienced? S :P

the world has only so much carbon.
    if too much is in the air then the plant life will thrive, the temperature will increase and even more plant life will grow eventually the world will return to a cooler temperature.
    however it is very slow and in the meantime we may have rising sea levels and storms and lush vegitation in cooler climates,

so we will just have to put on uor wet weather clothes

I think that much later in this century, we will have many large machines that take CO2 out of the air, and create and weave carbon nano-tubes. I think this will happen in sufficient quantity that it will reduce the CO2 levels in the atmosphere to pre-industrial levels.
    Forming opinions as we speak

Okay, let's make some (necessarily completely wrong) predictions: In about 100 years:
    + big progress in biology & medecine, DNA repair, disease fixing, AIDS can be cured (but not since a long time), many cancers (but not all) cured...
    + people live until 100 years +
    + big improvement in telecoms and computers: numeric TV & telcos, home computers, more and more things done via the "superNet"
    + politics: federations of countries
    + very small human colonies just starting up on Moon & Mars
    - Still lots of environmental problems, some pbs would have been solved, some new pbs appeared
    - still society problems - the richests and the poorests
    - no aircars

Scorpio

I reckon they'll make a user friendly DVD!

dvds already out dated as is tapes.
    new flash drives are already 4 gig so everyone can carry immense info on their necklass and use a termanel--tv-- to view the contents be it music or movies or computor software

odd sock proof washing machines!!

odd sock proof washing machines!!
    we all know that is pure science fiction