Thread: pop-ups

there are costs to any enterprise or 'gratis' service. many such sites apparently get something from selected 'pop-ups'---penny/click? i don't know. i do know, i'm 'enabling' cookies, pop-ups on Universe Today, hoping for some contribution. i see no security risk---adaware, zone alarm, trend micro, spy-blaster keep my machines Clean.

i haven't read all your 'site-docus', so i may have missed it---if i did not, i see no reason you should not only seek contributions---but request subcribers, at least, allow 'pop-ups'. regards, and many thanks---

I only have one Pop up on UT. The first time you ever visit the website, it encourages you to join the email subscription list. That's it, and then it never pops up again.

Originally posted by fraser@Apr 23 2005, 11:56 PM
    I only have one Pop up on UT. The first time you ever visit the website, it encourages you to join the email subscription list. That's it, and then it never pops up again.
    it's just built-in to a rr.com proxy server---but its glimpse is usually a 'scope seller---makes sense---if these folk are 'hitch-hikers'? you may catch them---i think the idea of 'sponsors' of your choice a good idea.

Originally posted by fraser@Apr 24 2005, 10:56 AM
    Unless of course you delete all of your cookies. Like I've done and I go what is this thing?

Originally posted by matthew+Apr 24 2005, 05:50 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (matthew @ Apr 24 2005, 05:50 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fraser@Apr 24 2005, 10:56 AM
    I only have one Pop up on UT. The first time you ever visit the website, it encourages you to join the email subscription list. That&#39;s it, and then it never pops up again.
    Unless of course you delete all of your cookies. Like I&#39;ve done and I go what is this thing? [/b][/quote]
    today i got one offering &#39;lots on the moon&#39; &#39;for sale&#39;. the story on how this guy actually secured legal right as &#39;Lunar&#39; property seller is fascinating---bizzare.
    not to patronize, but when i had a &#39;non-profit&#39; .org site---as the site had many references to books, music, film---i linked to amazon, or appropriate publisher.

something has to pay the bills. Mr. Mitsky recently getting Wil to sign the newest edition of the &#39;sky 2000&#39; atlas---don&#39;t know if &#39;sky-publising&#39; is still the source, but a link to what Dave was writing of, could help funding---and i feel it a service to your board members if they have interest. saves them time.

i&#39;ve seen no &#39;offensive&#39; pop-ups---all astro-stuff---but they get thru, somehow. regards

well, you certainly have pop-ups now---totally well-done, not the usual mess---hope i had a part in your decision---it&#39;s an extrordinary site---hope i was of use.
    best regards

I think you need to check and see if you might have some kind of spyware running on your system. I only have a couple of ads on this page, and none of them open up pop-up windows. I just have the text ads up at the top of the page, and then the skycraper banner over on the right-hand side.

Originally posted by fraser@Apr 26 2005, 10:57 PM
    I think you need to check and see if you might have some kind of spyware running on your system. I only have a couple of ads on this page, and none of them open up pop-up windows. I just have the text ads up at the top of the page, and then the skycraper banner over on the right-hand side.
    this is the 1st day i&#39;ve seen your &#39;top-centered&#39; ads---and my terminology &#39;pop-ups&#39; was referring to past entire web pages that &#39;poped-up&#39;---it was my &#39;misnomer&#39;, calling what i see now as &#39;PUs&#39;---apologies. everytime i boot, i run adaware, spyblaster, then spybot. but we both know they&#39;re no &#39;magic shields---i use the &#39;my way&#39; portal---they may have been blocking your ads, nexium, etc., although they contend their pu-blocker would not block the ads i see now---a week after having &#39;my-way&#39; allow your site &#39;immunity&#39;.

i&#39;m not an IT, but i&#39;ll switch back to the rr.com portal---that may resolve things---regards