Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: International Space Station

Energia’s chief engineer is saying that risk of failure in the Russian segment of the ISS is rising dramatically as it is getting too old:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58408911

The International Space Station (ISS) could suffer "irreparable" failures due to outdated equipment and hardware, a Russian official has warned.

At least 80 percent of in-flight systems on the Russian segment of the ISS had passed their expiry date, Vladimir Solovyov told state media.

Mr Solovyov, the chief engineer at the space company Energia, which is the leading developer of Russia's section of the ISS, said: "Literally a day after the [in-flight] systems are fully exhausted, irreparable failures may begin."

He warned last year that much of the equipment on the station was starting to age and would soon need to be replaced.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Energia’s chief engineer is saying that risk of failure in the Russian segment of the ISS is rising dramatically as it is getting too old:
    >
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with Nauka spinning ISS like a top

Quote Originally Posted by docmordrid View Post
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with Nauka spinning ISS like a top
    And subsequent torquing as the thrusters fought for control.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

A bit more on the cracks in the Zarya moduler,

I'm thinking the partners need to accelerate the Commercial LEO Destinations program, supporting commercial stations like those from Axiom and Sierra Space.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sc...le-2021-08-30/

Russian cosmonauts find new cracks in ISS module

MOSCOW, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Russian cosmonauts have discovered new cracks in a segment of the International Space Station that could widen, a senior space official said on Monday, the latest in a series of setbacks.

"Superficial fissures have been found in some places on the Zarya module," Vladimir Solovyov, chief engineer of rocket and space corporation Energia, told RIA news agency. "This is bad and suggests that the fissures will begin to spread over time."

He did not say if the cracks had caused any air to leak.

The space official has said previously that much of the International Space Station's equipment is starting to age and has warned there could be an "avalanche" of broken equipment after 2025.
    >

Last edited by docmordrid; 2021-Sep-03 at 01:40 AM.

"Astronauts smell smoke, burning on Russia's ISS module"

https://www.spacedaily.com/reports/A...odule_999.html

A smoke alarm sounded Thursday in Russia's segment of the International Space Station (ISS) and astronauts smelled "burning" on board, Russia's space agency and NASA said.

The incident, which the Russian space agency Roscosmos said happened at 01:55 GMT ahead of a scheduled spacewalk, is the latest in a string of problems to spur safety concerns over conditions on the Russian segment.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

ISS fly-around in November

Stephen Clark @StephenClark1
    An interesting note from the Aerospace Safety Advisory Panel meeting: Panel member David West says SpaceX's Crew Dragon spacecraft will do a 360-degree flyaround of the ISS after departing in early-mid November, the first 360-degree flyaround by a US crew craft since the shuttle.

https://twitter.com/StephenClark1/st...10752379555841