Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspended/banned posters log

neilzero has been suspended for two days for going *way* over the line with political discourse, essentially equating any government effort to curb global warming as a fascist activity. This was in the "Climate Change 2007" thread.

Normally someone would get a much longer suspension for this post, but neilzero has been a generally good citizen (if a bit hot-headed) on many fronts.
    Forming opinions as we speak

StewartSummers has been suspended for a week for trolling and harassing moderators. He shares a URL with several banned spammers, but I think that is a coincidence.

Presuming he is a juvenile, and simply doesn't know better, I'm giving him one chance to clean up his act after the suspension.

Damburger doesn't hold back with his opinions, and often that is a good thing. In this case however, he posted something politically very provocative, and very insulting to some subset of British nationals (and it's weeks after Guy Fawkes Day!). He has some previous warnings, and now he's getting suspended for a week.

Post edit: I added some subset of to the above, based on feedback that this was not offensive to all, and especially not to Dambuger himself, who is a British national.

New member Charliebad has been banned for life, for abusive language. The final post was removed.

Very long time member Joe Durnavich has been suspended for one day, for a collective ad hom, and posting inflammatory remarks on the subject of climate change. Had this been his first post, he'd have been banned for life as a troll.

Fraunkensteen permanently banned for long homophobic rant.
    Post moved to a secure place.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow
    A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read. Mark Twain

MattMarriott is suspended for seven days for opening a second thread on the same topic w/o addressing open issues.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

idav has been suspended for a week, for violating our politics rule, and general rudeness.

Dies Irae has been banned for life. It is possible that this ban could be lifted if he/she emails Fraser or Phil and makes a good case that he/she has not simply been trying to be a rule-breaking provocative troll.

Neverfly suspended for a week for Ad Homs.

Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn. Benjamin Franklin
    Chase after the truth like all hell and you'll free yourself, even though you never touch its coat tails. Clarence Darrow

JIM WALKER has been banned for life. A quick review of his/her nine posts reveals that this member intended nothing more than to be a provocative smart mouth troll.

upriver, mgmirkin, and iantresman have all been suspended for one year for violations of rules 6, 11, and 14 as part of a coordinated effort to promote a specific ATM idea, in the mainstream section of the forum.

This particular idea has already been covered in detail in the ATM section, and the main protagonists refuse, or are unable to supply any supporting math when faced with any questions or criticism.

Post Edit: based on email conversation, I now believe that iantresman was not part of the coordinated effort, and am lifting his suspension.

Michael Noonan suspended for a week for backdooring ATM ideas into Q&A.

a_vision banned for a week for several rules violation including but not limited to these: 2. Civility and Decorum, 3. Language, and 13. Alternative Concepts and Conspiracy Theories.

http://www.bautforum.com/1139322-post61.html

R.A.F. banned for attacking a poster instead of his ideas, after being told officially that next time would result in permanent banning.

Predictionsarchive is supended for six months for a major violation of Rule 11 in this thread.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Doodler is suspended for a week for multiple ad homs in this post.
    Isaac Asimov

Doctor Who

CDavidParsons was banned as a spamming troll. He was on to promote a series of Intelligent Design, anti-science books.

SLF:JAQ SFDJS permanently banned for trolling and for declining to follow moderator instructions.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Werfer was banned for being a sock puppet of a previously banned member. His/her most recent thread was removed.

RussT suspended for a week for providing an ATM response to a question in this Q&A thread.

BigToe was banned as a sock-puppet of a previously banned member. I also removed his posts.

Jetlack is suspended for a week. He/she started a thread on determinism, which included a fair amount of religious discussion. While I didn't think anything he wrote was particularly offensive, it opened the door for further conversation about religion. Jetlack has been around long enough to know we are usually not happy about this rule being broken. BTW, I removed the thread, which contained two posts by Jetlack and one by papageno.

Post Edit (28 Jan 2008, 20:30UT): This suspension is currently being reviewed by the admins.
    Post Edit (28 Jan 2008, 21:00UT): Review is over, suspensions stands.
    Jetlack had been concerned about differential enforcement concerning religious discussion in posts. It is true that some threads have chattered unmoderated about religion. This does not make the practice acceptable. He also quibbled about the use of the term 'discussion' in the above, and I agree that I should have used the term 'content' instead, as discussion implies two or more participants.

Let me remind all members
    : we do not want threads in this forum to cover religious topics except narrowly where it pertains directly to astronomy or spaceflight.

vince2468motorway banned for spamming the board with multiple identical posts in many threads. All posts were removed, which may result in some slightly odd conversations.

Sean Clayden has been suspended for a month for violating the rules about Global Warming after repeated warnings.

Dawnofday has been suspended for too much posting about religion, and generally poking at people's buttons. So far he/she has posted 66 times, and just about every post has been either in Fun & Games, or in the forbidden topics. The shouting match in Religion V Science was what finally brought all this to our attention. Dawnofday seems very thoughtful, and I am hoping that on returning he/she will be more interested in astronomy, and not in pushing the envelope and looking for an argument.

Post edit: After some PMs from Neverfly, it is clear that what looked like antagonism to an outsider was friendly stuff from a previous relationship. I'm ending the suspension early.

TheNick has been suspended for one day for ad hom attack and bad language.

Occams Ghost has been suspended one day for posting with Religious Content. OG has been around long enough to know it is a fairly severe violation of the rules, yet chose to do it anyway.

The thread has been closed (by nereid) and Occams Ghost has been suspended for a day by me.

Neverfly and Jeff Root both banned for 24 hours for making personal attacks against each other in this thread. Several offending posts were removed.

ToySoldier banned for a week for numerous infractions. He was warned for inappropriate language, bad behavior, rudeness, etc. privately and in-thread.