Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Adventures

Motorcycle Adventures

Some of you know by now that I ride motorcycles. Well, I ride a lot. This summer I rode from St. Louis to central Maine then back. After that I thought I'd ride over to California and see what that's all about. From there it was Seattle on my way to San Antonio.

Anyway, I besides BAUT I also belong to a motorcycle forum called IntruderAlert. It got the name from the model of motorcycle that the members ride, Suzuki Intruder

anyway, I've started a story thread over there where I post my stories. I've only done one so far, but I plan to post all about the 25000 miles I've ridden so far this year.

here's the link

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/in...&topicID=63123

yep, there are plenty of pictures too. I took over 2100 on the California trip alone. Some of them are pretty good.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

I'm kinda dissapointed no one has replied.
    My travel blog Mostly about riding a motorcycle across the US and Europe. Also has cool things that happen in between.

Sorry mate, didn't see the thread till now

Another biker eh, cool

Looks like a fun trip too. My long distance riding days are pretty much over but I used to do a lot of riding when younger. 2000miles on a long weekend etc, the good ol days

Glad to see another biker on the forum too.

edited
    Last edited by crosscountry; 2005-Sep-19 at 04:58 AM.

Thats a lot of milage since Jan.
    Take some advice from an old timer, stretch your back and legs regularly, it makes a world of difference in the long term

you and I both know that.

here is a link to the second installment of my travels.

enjoy

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/in...&topicID=63480

Great stories. I'm glad your mother is watching you.

Well, the ride back was just as amazing. The mountains go on forever and we were taking our time in them. I snapped quite a few on the move. This was the first time that I ever tried to take some while moving, but they turned out great.
    I was going to ask if you were taking those photos while riding, but never mind. You better be careful!

BTW, that Astronaut looks familiar.

I borrowed him

Hey, cross.

I certainly would have replied earlier had I seen the thread. I look forward to checking out your stories.

Keep the shiny side up!
    Breeze

Cross,

Love the pictures. I grew up in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and your pics make me a little homesick..

Great stories. Thanks for posting the links. Gives me some inspiration...

Breeze

I wish the Smilie had a clean face like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscountry

Interesting story. The pictures were fabulous....

Titana........

the pictures only get better

the pictures only get better
    Why does this excite me for some reason?

I saved one of your photos to my hard drive, and it said "Illinois Home". Are you from Illinois, originally?

actually, I'm from Texas. Lived there 24 years. (I don't have the accent however)

I was living in Illinois last year when that photo was taken.

CC,
    I drove 2500 miles across Europe in three and half days last month (the Club Triumph Ten Countries Run), but I didn't post about it here, a Science and Astronomy site.
    John

Yes you did.

here is a story about another trip I took: one from last year.

I was in Pensacola, Florida.

http://www.intruderalert.com/cafe/in...&topicID=66949

I ride around the roads of North Yorkshire. A fave run is from Stokesley on the Cleveland Plain, along Bilsdale, over the top to Helmesley where on any summer weekend you can safely say there will be at least 3 or 400 bikes parked on the Marketplace. After lunch it's along the Scarborough Road to Pickering then back across the moortops past the Filingdales Early Warning station abck to Whitby then over the moors again back to Guis.
    Stokesley to Helmseley is prob the best biking road in the world if you are on a Sportsbike, twisty 2 lane with sweeping curves and swooping hills.

Unfortunately there are up to half a dozen deaths a year on it, esp on weekends when the Moto GP or Superbikes has been on TV
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

I don't have a bike at the moment. I killed my Ducati on some wet slippery leaves a couple of weeks ago. (Sob) Going to replace it in the New Year. Another Duke, or an Aprilia.
    I was looking at a lovely 'Repsol' Honda replica at the weekend and I am ptempted by a Yamaha in 'Rossi' colours.
    Rules For Posting To This Board
    All Moderation in Purple

Well, I didn't have a Ducati - just a POS Honda XL600 back in the day. Bent it all to heck when I took a bird-strike to my faceshield - and sold it for what I paid for it. Good investment.

Current plan, though, is to pick up a BMW R1200RT come income tax time. Or maybe sooner if certain things work out.

---------------

here is a story about another trip I took: one from last year.

I was in Roselle, Illinois.
    When am I going to see the above posted here?

I enjoyed your memories. One request, more photos of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    When am I going to see the above posted here?

I enjoyed your memories. One request, more photos of you.
    I've only been to Chicago twice. Once I flew into the city and was laid over for a couple hours. The other time I was riding back from Minnesota. I was there for Labor Day last year.

Don't like toll roads

Maybe in the spring I'll ride up there. I've got plenty of pictures of me on a motorcycle.

here is one of my favorites

of course it rained on me.... I have that reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by LurchGS
    Well, I didn't have a Ducati - just a POS Honda XL600 back in the day. Bent it all to heck when I took a bird-strike to my faceshield - and sold it for what I paid for it. Good investment.

Current plan, though, is to pick up a BMW R1200RT come income tax time. Or maybe sooner if certain things work out.

---------------
    Have you seen the K1200 yet? Saw one sitting in Champion in Charleston a couple of weeks ago when I was dropping off my K75 for a minor cosmetic repair. The K is definitely on the funky side...not like the other R's or K's that are out there. Price was in the mid 12k range.

BTW, minor in the case of my K75 is around $2,000 or more...mercifully, it's got full coverage - I pity Dairyland...they've paid out more than I've paid in. This makes the third time in ten years the bike will be rebuilt...wreck in 95, theft in 01 and a wreck in 05. Maybe I should stop riding...nah, that thought died a quick death.

here is one of my favorites
    Did you get a free map?

Quote Originally Posted by Candy
    Did you get a free map?

how did you know?

Later, in the afternoon before Barbara got home, I asked if we could visit the FL visitor center. I wanted a state map and I liked the free ones. (still do)

Quote Originally Posted by tmosher
    Have you seen the K1200 yet? Saw one sitting in Champion in Charleston a couple of weeks ago when I was dropping off my K75 for a minor cosmetic repair. The K is definitely on the funky side...not like the other R's or K's that are out there. Price was in the mid 12k range.
    Heh - yeah, I saw it, and decided it's not what I'm after. Looks too Japanese fo r my taste - all crotch-rockety and that.