Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Best City To Live

The Best City To Live

From the CNN site

Vancouver is the world's most desirable place to live, according to a new survey, while Papua New Guinea's Port Moresby is at the other end of the scale.
    IŽd vote for Curitiba, Brazil.

Some of us on the JREF board were discussing this and the parameters they used to determine "livability" may be questionnable, for example:
    Cleveland and Pittsburgh had the highest American scores.
    Cleaveland and Pittsburgh?

When I have some time I'll try to read the actual study to see how they weighted certain factors.

D'oh... and I just moved away from Vancouver. Well, I think I moved somewhere even better, and I'm still only a few hours away from the Big City so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by TriangleMan
    Some of us on the JREF board were discussing this and the parameters they used to determine "livability" may be questionnable, for example:

When I have some time I'll try to read the actual study to see how they weighted certain factors.

ewwwwwww cleveland???

Cardiff, Wales, Uk, without a doubt!

Cleveland and Pittsburgh?
    Perhaps, I need to visit these cities again.

I can't imagine wanting to live in any big city. It is nice to have a city's resources within a reasonable drive, but I would never put up with all the hassles of living in one.

I'd imagine that they asked people whether living in a given city was a good thing or not. You're bound to skew towards ones with large populations, since even taking out those that hate where they live, you're still going to be left with more who like it.

I will just let the facts speak for themselves

As reported on the BBC website

I decided a long time ago that the best place to live would be a university town within day-trip distance of a major metropolitan area.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Ah, Champaign-Urbana IL fits the description. Home to the U. of Illinois, 2 hours to Chicago, about 3 to St. Louis. I've often thought I'd like to go back there when I retire and leave the Heart of Darkness.
    "I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind." - William Thompson, 1st Baron Lord Kelvin

"If it was so, it might be, and if it were so, it would be, but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic!" - Tweedledee

This isn't right. This isn't even wrong. - Wolfgang Pauli

like boulder, CO... i'd love it there except for the politics.

i've been to vancouver recently and while it may be a nice city (in terms of cities), i'd never live there. any city of that size is too crowded for me. my goal is acreage. you can't get acreage in vancouver.

columbia, MO, is regularly regarded as one of the best places in the country (US) to live. it won't rate high on polls such as normally seen in the media because it is small (under 100k). two hours from st. louis and kansas city, beautiful rolling hills right along the missouri river. less than an hour from the lake of the ozarks. booming economy and, the best part, you can get land, cheap. of course the colleges are there, about 40k students between all of them. unfortunately, it is too far from the mountains from me.

so i chose colorado springs.

taks

'Dems fightin words.

ToSeek, funny you should mention that. My view is remarkably similar in that my ideal specific place is also a university town (Halifax), except for that whole "major metropolitan area" within a day's drive thing.

Never was a fan of big cities. Seems to me 200,000 neighbors should be plenty of company for anyone.
    "Words that make questions may not be questions at all."
    - Neil deGrasse Tyson, answering loaded question in ten words or less
    at a 2010 talk MCed by Stephen Colbert.

From EIU's website:
    The survey takes over 40 factors into consideration which are weighted across five different categories: Stability; Healthcare; Culture & Environment; Education; and Infrastructure. Across the survey a mixture of quantitative and qualitative data are used, which are combined to give an overall Quality of Life Index rating.
    Many of these appear to be factors that could be consistent on a national level rather than city-wide level. With Stability, Healthcare, and Education being primary categories any Canadian city is likely to score well. Any US city would receive lower marks in Stability (terrorism threats, etc.) and Health Care if the EIU prefers the Canadian system compared to the US one.

I love Vancouver, I used to live there and wouldn't mind doing so again someday, but I'm not taking the results of this survey too seriously.

I find the Minneapolis-St. Paul area quite livable, except between late november and march - then it becomes Paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by Eta C
    Ah, Champaign-Urbana IL fits the description. Home to the U. of Illinois, 2 hours to Chicago, about 3 to St. Louis. I've often thought I'd like to go back there when I retire and leave the Heart of Darkness.
    Have you ever been to Carbondale? It has most of the benefits of Champaign, but much better scenery. It is farther from Chicago, but I can't imagine what I would need from Chicago that I can't get in St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    ToSeek, funny you should mention that. My view is remarkably similar in that my ideal specific place is also a university town (Halifax), except for that whole "major metropolitan area" within a day's drive thing.

Never was a fan of big cities. Seems to me 200,000 neighbors should be plenty of company for anyone.
    Ahhh, Halifax! The selfless acts performed by local people on 9/11 still take my breath away ‘til this day.

The main reason to live in a big city is for the work. There are only so many places a person can be a manager in a software company. So if you have to work in a place like that, where do you want to live.

I agree, though, we've got 50,000 people living here in the Comox Valley. They're smart, well educated, and reasonably cosmopolitan. It just took one night of trivia competition at an MS Society fundraiser to put me in my place. If you think people in small towns are backwards... you should find out for yourself.

Community is something that just happens in a smaller town, while you have to put work building and maintaining it in a larger city. And for me, community is everything - that's why I love this forum. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Moose

Toronto was in the top ranking (as was my city of Calgary).

Ha! Ha! I find Toronto the last place in Canada I'd want to live. I used to live in Halifax and agree it is a much more enjoyable place to live than the big T. The rankings equate people with robots...the best place to be serviced and find new parts.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek
    I decided a long time ago that the best place to live would be a university town within day-trip distance of a major metropolitan area.
    read my post about Olympia yet? we're only about two hours from Seattle and about four (depending on driver) from Portland, OR, which are both pretty cool for major metropolitan areas.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Saluki
    Have you ever been to Carbondale? It has most of the benefits of Champaign, but much better scenery. It is farther from Chicago, but I can't imagine what I would need from Chicago that I can't get in St Louis.
    I actually lived in Carbondale for over two years and was pretty happy there. If I'd thought my wife and I could have gotten appropriate jobs in the area, we might have considered staying.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren
    read my post about Olympia yet? we're only about two hours from Seattle and about four (depending on driver) from Portland, OR, which are both pretty cool for major metropolitan areas.
    Unfortunately (in some respects), I also need to live where rocket scientists are in demand.

I actually lived in Carbondale for over two years and was pretty happy there. If I'd thought my wife and I could have gotten appropriate jobs in the area, we might have considered staying.
    I agree completely. It is a great place to live, but employment opportunities are limited if you are not in education or health care.

Unfortunately (in some respects), I also need to live where rocket scientists are in demand.
    right. all we have around here are airplane engineers, and that's kind of unstable these days. (have I mentioned how much I love being on a board where the response to "you guys aren't rocket scientists" is "well, actually . . . .")

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren
    right. all we have around here are airplane engineers, and that's kind of unstable these days. (have I mentioned how much I love being on a board where the response to "you guys aren't rocket scientists" is "well, actually . . . .")
    I can do rocket science. It's brain surgery I have a problem with.

I can do rocket science. It's brain surgery I have a problem with.
    So rocket surgery is out of the question?

Wink

Originally Posted by TriangleMan

Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Reina
    ewwwwwww cleveland???
    That's fine, you folks laugh all you like at Cleveland. Please, please do not move here. Go to Florida or LA or Seattle and help them with their increasing sprawl. We have enough folks, our housing prices are not inflated, we have plenty of elbow room, a lovely lake with plenty of drinking water, and no huricanes.

Andromeda should have strong feelings about this, she's from Pittsburgh and goes to school in Cleveland.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

So Swift, do you consider Cleaveland the most liveable (large) city in the US?

So Swift, do you consider Cleveland the most liveable (large) city in the US?
    Swift loves his home city like I love my city of birth, Lafayette, Indiana (Tippecanoe County).

TriangleMan - I have corrected your spelling twice - it's Cleveland!