Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Join BAUT teams for BOINC(Einstein-,SETI-,LHC-,...)

Join BAUT teams for BOINC(Einstein-,SETI-,LHC-,...)

Hello,

Quite a while ago, the BABB formed a team for the BOINC projects, we have now changed our name to BAUT to match the forum. We currently have teams in Einstein@Home, LHC@home, SETI@home, ClimatePrediction.net, Predictor@home, and orbit@home; but other teams may be created in the future.

There is an older thread with large amounts of information about BOINC, BOINCview, and the projects here, but this thread has been made to replace that thread since the name of the team has been changed so please post in this thread.

Information on how to join the projects are at the team webpage which also has a section for our team's stats.

Other places to find information are located at Mickal555's forum which has a section dedicated to the BOINC team and at my own forum.

The team has done very well thus far, at the time of this writing we are ranked in the top 200 of almost 30,000 overall teams, with the Einstein@Home team being 31 of over 3000 teams.

Congratulations to the team thus far, let us continue contributing to science in the easiest way that I know of.

Thanks for starting the ClimatePrediction team - I felt almost like I was 'wasting' my credit by not being in a team there. The Einstein process continues to run as well, though.

No problem, I probably should have looked into starting teams in these projects sooner, but I just recently went through BOINCstats to see who all was running projects we didn't have teams in, and found more than I had expected.

Quote Originally Posted by azazul
    No problem, I probably should have looked into starting teams in these projects sooner, but I just recently went through BOINCstats to see who all was running projects we didn't have teams in, and found more than I had expected.
    And also, your legacy founder did not have the...wherewithal attached to ask for them.

Seriously thanks to azazul, and of course Fraser and Phil, for both changes.

Since some posts at project websites (and the Universe Today stories) still point to the old thread, I've edited it's first post to point here and obsolete itself. (Thereby violating forum rules against mass editing---ulp.)

Incidentally, there was another mention of the BAUT teams in the UT newsletter today---Thanks Fraser

Within 12 hours or so, this graphic should hopefully update to include the new teams:

Stickied.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine
    Stickied.
    Thank you, sir.

The BAUT team sure stickies together.

Exclamation

@Wolverine: I apologize for my lame humor above. Of course I'm very grateful to you for making this thread a sticky!
    -----

Because we do have this shiny new thread, and there are perhaps a few more members reading it than recently, I wanted to say again: thanks to all!

And of course greetz to any non-members: any and all are welcome to ask questions or say hello here.
    • Perhaps some of you found Einstein@Home at home too demanding, especially on slower computers. With the exception of climateprediction.net (CPDN), all our other projects have much shorter deadlines and lower disk requirements. You might want to give one of these a try.
    • In the threads mentioned in azazul's OP, specifically here and here, we have been discussing how to expand the Members' Section of our team webpages to include more than just the excellent statistics tables. There is already a handy table of links. We would be overjoyed if others would contribute their ideas either here or in those threads.
    • Version 5.2.2 is now the official recommended BOINC version, perhaps some new members have started with this version? Some caveats:
      • If you are running CPDN, 5.2.2 seems to work OK for me, but if you ever want to revert back to 4.x, the opinion is that it may reset your projects, and thus lose any running models, even if you restore a backup of the BOINC folder. (You would also lose WUs in other projects if BOINC resets, but it is much worse for CPDN because of their models' length.)
      • If running LHC@home, existing WUs will run fine, but you will not be able to download more WUs until that project upgrades its servers to 5.x requirements.
      • E@H, seti, and predictor have had no problems with 5.2.2, AFAIK. But, with the exception of scheduler improvements and code for a new Attachment Wizard, which won't be implemented for some time, there is little changed in 5.x, IMO.

So existing users may prefer to stay with version 4.x, and if you are just joining, my choice would be to download the 4.45 "Older version." until we all have more experience with 5.2.2.

-----
    Continued happy crunching to everyone on the new BAUT teams.

Quote Originally Posted by orbit@home
    News

October 21, 2005
    In the last month, we've not been able to work on orbit@home on a daily basis for various reasons, but still some important results have been achieved. The most important improvements to orbit@home are the result of the collaboration with Pan-STARRS (http://pan-starrs.ifa.hawaii.edu/public/) researchers in order to be ready to analyze their observations as soon as their survey starts (first light for PS1 prototype is scheduled for early 2006) and the observations are made publicly available. This requires substantial science-code development, and the results so far are extremely positive. As the first wave of WU demonstrated, the code based on ORSA works correctly on remote clients (only Linux platform tested for the moment). In order to provide WUs on a daily basis, we are developing a science-database and the relative management code. This will take a fair amount of time, about two more months of work. For this reason, the beta phase will be postponed to early 2006. Clients for Windows and Mac OS X will be provided as soon as the scientific application is considered sufficiently stable on the Linux platform. All the clients will be provided and tested during the alpha phase, to fix all the major problems before the beta phase.
    Quote edited to add emphasis; link times out for me at time of posting.

Sounds like it shouldn't be much longer before they have a windows client.

LHC "View Computers" corruption: solved now

Edit: The LHC corruption "View Computers" problem has been solved, no need to read further.

Also, BOINC 5.2.2 is working fine now on both my machines; but it truly is not a major upgrade to functionality.

---------------/edit

After (at last) upgrading its servers to support BOINC 5.x, LHC@home has been having trouble with one of them corrupting the info you see under View Computers. (The link at left is a php script that will take you direct to your page if you are cookied, or a log-in page if not.) If affected, your computer's CPU and OS will be replaced with funny numbers & several items in the details page will be wrong. This happens under all versions, 4.x as well as 5.

The corruption only happens after a result has been uploaded/reported, and doesn't seem to cause any problem with the result being accepted or credit actually being granted.

You can clear the problem simply by
    • Manually Updating LHC in BOINC Manager
    • Refreshing your browser

But the corruption may recur the next time you upload a WU.

There is a long thread on the LHC@home message board with reports of this corruption, the conclusion of which from the project developer is
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrulle
    Ok, so it seems the problem can be found in the credit granting. So it is probably the validator that is doing something horrible.

I will take a look at it tomorrow at work.
    As I say, this doesn't seem to affect core functions, but it is probably best to wait to upgrade to BOINC v5 until it is sorted.

BTW, Version 5 is working fine on my CPDN only machine so far; some projects have more informative messages; though if you are controlling remotely with BoincView you have supply BV the first time with a new password that BOINC 5 thoughtfully generates for you.
    Last edited by Ken Vogt; 2005-Oct-28 at 07:47 PM.

Sounds like it shouldn't be much longer before they have a windows client.
    I hope that's the case. Looking forward to getting started there.

For those who have slow computers, it seems that one of the projects that we recently formed a team in is very friendly to slow computers. Predictor@home has very small wu's that only take about 6 hours to crunch on my really slow 300MHz Pentium II laptop. Before, I had recommended SETI@home and LHC@home for slower computers, but Predictor seems to be better than either of those. Predictor does only have a deadline of about a week, so if you will likely not have your computer on for several hours in a week, then SETI may be a better option since it has a two week deadline.

5.2.x update

As I've mentioned, I've upgraded both my machines to 5.2.x; the latest recommended version being 5.2.5, a small bugfix to 5.2.2.

Aside from a short time when CPDN's servers balked at end-of-phase uploads from 5.2.x boxes there have been no problems with the new version at all. (My CPDN model resumed after the server was fixed, without loss of work.)

All our BAUT projects support this version, and all have had WUs successfully upload and download since I installed it. (Well, my CPDN final uploads are many days away, but the phase upload is largely the same process; as I say, it's now working fine.)

Here is an excellent post by Gary Roberts from the E@H forum describing why and how to upgrade.

As to why:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Roberts
    • There are many bugs that have been fixed. (Yes, undoubtedly some new ones added too!!).
    • There are lots of new features to allow better control of projects.
    • There are more and improved messages so you may better understand what is going on.
    • Help for known & solved problems in older versions will quickly diminish in the future.
    • Helpers will quickly lose interest in supporting outdated versions, even if it is a totally new bug you are now finding.
    • Sooner or later 4.XX clients will no longer be "allowed" to connect anyway.
    • Current problems will be resolved faster if more people are using and reporting on the current version.
    • The upgrade process seems very simple and painless.
    His post includes detailed installation instructions in case it has been a long time since you last installed BOINC; but there is no need to uninstall first as he suggests.

Of course, this is entirely up to you, and since our team was formed we've not yet seen a change in the minimum acceptable version, and 4.x ain't broke, so...

Thanks for the update, Ken. I'm still running 4.45 and will ponder updating.

Perhaps this BAUT team page could be updated, to reflect the fact that the BAUT forum is alive and thriving?

Ditto, the participation in CPDN

Quote Originally Posted by Nereid
    Perhaps this BAUT team page could be updated, to reflect the fact that the BAUT forum is alive and thriving?

Ditto, the participation in CPDN
    Yeah Nereid, azazul is working on that. I think he wants to do the de-BABB-ifying all at once, and adding the stats for CPDN and predictor will take a little doing.

Plus, I understand he's moving to a new database for the stats.

It is an all-purpose answer, I admit:

"Why didn't you do this yet?!?"
    "I'm moving it all to another database."
    "Oh. I understand now."

Hey Nereid. I didn't know that anyone was even paying attention, I will get it updated soon to reflect the new teams and everything will be changed to BAUT.

Thumbs up

Speaking of not paying attention... [oops]

Congratulations (much belated) are due to Udo for moving into first place in the Einstein@Home standings, and second place over all.

And welcome indeed to Nereid, who joins in 5th place overall, with over 100K previous credit, and takes over first place, in the Moderator Standings. Sorry Wolverine.

Indeed, profuse apologies to all new members whom azazul and I have not been able to greet here, I hope you will understand that with so many teams it is hard to keep up with you good people in your rate of joining? azazul has access to email lists, of course, but founders do not get a cross-project roster of members, so keeping up is not really possible even for team leaders.

---------
    Usually, when people join a team having had previous credit in a project, individual tables, like here, reflect all your credit, while BAUT team totals only include credit gained after you become a member.

But for some reason, that does not seem to apply to CPDN: all the credit of our 6 members have been included in the team totals. You can see this in the BOINCstats graph of credit per day, where our team totals shot up when the CPDN team was created, and again on Nov 1 when Nereid's credit was added in. So CPDN's position in the BAUT standings is artificially high, but, really, who's complaining?

And mid's worries about not contributing to the team while doing CPDN earlier turn out to be unfounded: he was contributing to BAUT all along.

In fact, the seti@home team is actually doing best recently, passing LHC@home into second place - the first actual "pass on the race track" of one BAUT team by another. Since then, CPDN has moved back into second because of the anomaly noted above.

Here's the quick and dirty summary; the full details will be viewable after azazul updates the Team Pages linked above to include our new teams. As I tried clumsily to say above, this is a non-trivial task.

As mentioned earlier, anyone can contribute ideas and requests to what, after all, are our Team Pages, in azazul's forum thread. Guests are welcome to post there; here's a link to a recent post there; jump right in.

@azazul: I hope you know that I at least really do appreciate the time you have put in on the Team Pages and find them very useful. I am sure that many new members have joined BAUT after following project links to your pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Vogt
    I hope you know that I at least really do appreciate
    Yes I do, and I will keep working on them no matter how many people find them useful. I am really busy with school and work at the moment, but I graduate in December, after that I will have much more spare time to spend on the pages. I am thinking about giving BOINCstats a competitor, afterall I have the computers to do so, I just need time to put into the programming.

Smile Put this team on the map

In honor of the BAUT team's two millionth credit (which happens sometime today), there's now a Frappr map for BAUT BOINC team members, just like the one for the forum as a whole. Click above, or here.

Just like there, you can pin yourself to the map, post a greeting and a pic, or, like Pin #2, pose an unaswerable existential question. Nice shades, BTW.

This is not really a sub-map of the forum map, since people can be team members but not forum members. I've lost count, but I believe there are team members from about 15 countries so far.

So start pinning, and enjoy!

Thanks to Founder azazul for putting a link to the map on the team page, which he has now updated to reflect the new name and which now includes member stats for CPDN and Predictor@home.

Is there a better source for LIGO status than this:

http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web.../0510main.html

There have only been a couple of updates this year, none this fall.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Jensen
    Is there a better source for LIGO status than this:

http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/LIGO_web.../0510main.html

There have only been a couple of updates this year, none this fall.
    Jerry,

I tend to focus myopically on the Einstein@Home project, rather than the wider LIGO searches, but some reasonably current info is available in the science section of the E@H message board. For example, this post by one of the team, in addition to referencing the mirror change from the page you cited, mentions the date (now passed) when the S5 data collection was due to start.

I'm guessing this thread and others in that section will have news as soon as anywhere about such happenings, as we crunchers are eager to get our mangy paws on the S5 data!

The report this thread is talking about, S3 Analysis Summary, includes background info about LIGO and the S3 results, but again mostly relating to E@H. But I think this section of that report has the clearest rendition of the graph of the various data set sensitivities, and how they are approaching the design goal.

Another thread on the board, including a bit about the S4 data, is here.

Most any post on that board by Ben Owen is worth reading, IMO, for background info on LIGO.

Sorry if these are not at the level of detail you're looking for...

Congrats to The Rock, our newest member to get 100,000 total credit in E@H.

SETI@home is finally going to BOINC only
    The old SETI@home Classic project will stop issuing work on December 15, 2005. Anyone still running SETI@home Classic should deactivate it and install SETI@home/BOINC (see instructions under 'Getting started' on this page).

Thanks for this news, azazul.

This is an epochal event, in my very biased view. SETI is the granddaddy of all Distributed Computing programs; without the enthusiasm of its over 5.4 million users, there would arguably be no DC at all today.

The stats are staggering: over 2 billion WUs completed, representing over 2 million years of CPU time.

Hopefully the press will make note of the occasion, and take the opportunity to explain BOINC's role as seti's successor. Some excellent examples of "the press" are the BA's Blog and the Universe Today newsletter.

Whether you agree with SETI@home's goals or search methods, everyone now BOINCing, and in particular everyone on the BAUT team, owes the pioneers who ran seti classic a big round of applause.

So BOINC, itself developed by the creators of seti@home, and indeed, developed because of that project's success, is more and more the de facto standard in distributed computing.

In its stable of projects, only climateprediction.net still has a "classic" version, maintained because some older computers have trouble with the BOINC version, and because an Open University climate science course uses its models.

In another example of BOINC's growing hegemony, IBM's World Community Grid has moved (only for linux users so far) to BOINC, marking a defection from United Devices.

Of course, hegemony is a two edged sword, but for now, the increasing variety of quality science projects you can do with it make me real glad the BAUT has such a fine BOINC team.

Thanks again to you all.

Today, I came across a new project named ufluids (where the u is actually the greek letter mu). The project is designed to research microgravity and microfluidic behavior. I thought the project seemed interesting, especially since one of their goals is to "design better satellite propellant management devices". I figured that members of this board would find this project particularly interesting, so I have created a BAUT team.

Thumbs up Excellent!

Thanks so much azazul for the heads up!

Indeed, a great project for those interested in a "closer to home" project, at least until orbit@home starts up.

Here's their full front page blurb:
    Quote Originally Posted by μFluids
    μFluids[@home] project is a massively distributed computer simulation of two-phase fluid behavior in microgravity and microfluidics problems. Our goal is to design better satellite propellant management devices and address two-phase flow in microchannel and MEMS devices. Voluntary collaboration of individual computer users, like you, can participate by donating idle computer time using the BOINC software.
    Try as I might, I could not find a "Create Account" link on the μFluids homepage. Fortunately pasting the language from other projects into their URL worked, so here's a link if you have similar trouble: create account form.

This may only work for version 5.x.x, since it asks for a password; I have no idea how one obtains an old fashioned "account key" for version 4.

I'm sure I must be overlooking something obvious on the site; sorry.

Of course, if μFluids@home is your first BOINC project, the installation instructions on their homepage work perfectly: just download BOINC and the wizard walks you through attaching to your first project.

It is running fine for me ATM; one problem is that there is no progress indication for WUs, though this bug was supposedly fixed. WUs have a one week deadline, and it appears they will take about 4 hours on my 2.7 Ghz machine.

"µ" is alt+0181 on this board. Hope it displays properly for everyone?

Try as I might, I could not find a "Create Account" link on the μFluids homepage.
    I think you have to use version 5 and create an account when attaching to the project through BOINC manager.

"µ" is alt+0181 on this board.
    Thanks, I thought about copying and pasting from this very trustworthy site, but got lazy.
    Last edited by azazul; 2005-Nov-19 at 05:52 PM.

I think you have to use version 5 and create an account when attaching to the project through BOINC manager.
    You are right of course. I had a senior brain cramp:

The presence of the words "new account" and "password" made me think I would be creating a second BOINC account, when in fact, there is no such thing.

Only the projects have accounts, and with v5, you attach to a project by creating a new account for it in BM or BV.

Since I used the same user name and email, the accounts should sync with my old ones.

Sorry.