Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Space Shuttle Columbia: Contact lost.

I am in tottal shock. What a horrible event. I woke up hoping it would be a good morning and i see that on t.v. .

CNN is nowe reporting that debris is falling on a small town in Texas and that all citizens in texas are supposed to call the FBI if they find any bit of the debris. They are not supposed to touch it due to chemicals in the shuttle.

I am deeply sorry for whomever was on the shuttle. If any of you knew the people, I am very sorry for your loss. In a lighter note, the probobly died doing what they love and never felt a thing.

I really, really hope that no HB'er or conspiracy nut jumps on this. I was 8 years old when Challenger exploded so i don't remember what happened after it. I just really, really hope that nobody says anything about the Israeli being on board and some conspiracy about that. While there is a chance of there being a terroist attack, i highly doubt it. As said before it probobly was a breakup due to air pressure.

Does anyone know if they were coming in at a wrong angle or a little early or later than they were supposed to be?

CNN is now reporting that the shuttle was 23 years old and that could of been the factor that did it. But arn't shuttles checked out and stripped down after every flight? So that should not play a factor at all. If it was in poor condition, than it should not of been launched.

I hope this tragic event does not hurt the space program any more than it already is.

Again my deep heartfelt condolences to the lost crew. My prarys to you....

[doh, i was 8 when the challenger
    tragedy, not 5. Oopss.]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: g99 on 2003-02-01 11:12 ]</font>

I agree. I hope they get the funds to make space safer and a new, more modern breed of shuttles comes about. Good luck James O. and Phil. You will probobly be flooded with calls and conspiracy theories to tear down. I hope you get some time to yourself.

P.S. Was there a shuttle version of the "black (orange) box" on the shuttle? What information is it set up to give? Video, audio, or only data?

On 2003-02-01 10:41, Nightfall wrote:
    I too feel sorrow for the loss of the Columbia and her crew. Like Gemstone, and probably the rest of you, my hope is that they are able take the information from this accident and improve shuttle flight for future astronauts.
    With any hope of good fortune, this will be the end of the Space Shuttle "fleet", and a newer, safer, more cost-effective and reliable vehicle will be designed and used.

On 2003-02-01 10:11, The Rat wrote:
    On 2003-02-01 10:04, Bill S. wrote:
    This may mark the end of manned space exploration for the United States.
    That would be the ultimate insult to their memory.
    It is disgusting that we have to worry about this, but should we perhaps begin orgnizing an effort to support the manned space program? The sharks will arrive soon.

On 2003-02-01 10:49, Thargoid wrote:
    On 2003-02-01 10:11, The Rat wrote:
    On 2003-02-01 10:04, Bill S. wrote:
    This may mark the end of manned space exploration for the United States.
    That would be the ultimate insult to their memory.
    It is disgusting that we have to worry about this, but should we perhaps begin orgnizing an effort to support the manned space program? The sharks will arrive soon.
    Those who follow the Walter Mondale mindset are likely slapping their knees and grinning with glee this morning. Now all of that "wasted" money can be put into their pet failures.

It sickens me as well. BTW, the sharks are already here; they've been circling NASA since Challenger.

Those who follow the Walter Mondale mindset are likely slapping their knees and grinning with glee this morning. Now all of that "wasted" money can be put into their pet failures.

It sickens me as well. BTW, the sharks are already here; they've been circling NASA since Challenger.
    I'm just a college guy, so I don't have any pull with anyone. However, many of you here are directly involved with space exploration, and have many professional connections. It would be good to have an organization in place to guard against the tomb robbers.

Did anyone here the crank caller on cbs? GRRRRR

Lord help the astronauts and their families.

No black box, that was already covered. A former shuttle astronaut indicated that any such box would more than likely be destroyed or damaged from forces much worse than those experienced by a crashing jetliner.

On 2003-02-01 10:47, g99 wrote:
    I agree. I hope they get the funds to make space safer and a new, more modern breed of shuttles comes about.
    That would be great. However, the current shuttles are proven vehicles. They may not be as efficient as they could be, but they have been proven reliable, over and over again. Thus, more cost effective to continue using them. What will be interesting is how (or if ) NASA will replace this one, and with what design..

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom on 2003-02-01 11:00 ]</font>

My earnest sympathies to all.

I take it as an insult that they would even spend more than a passing moment on the idea that this was a terrorist attack. There is no conclusive evidence at this time of foul play.

I doubt the age had that much play in this disaster. Like the previous poster said it is inspected thoroughly. It is not like a commercial jet where they just do a quick checkup and after 20 years or so it's in not so good shape.

I heard Buzz Aldrin on Fox News I think it was, talking about the enormous energy exchanges involved in space flight. I would hate to have to explain it to those hyperlayman news anchors.

[quote]
    On 2003-02-01 10:58, Thargoid wrote:

Did anyone here the crank caller on cbs? GRRRRR

Lord help the astronauts and their families.
    Missed it, watching CNN. What happened?

I hope that President Bush, when he addresses the country today, will reaffirm this countries commitment to manned space flight exploration... Space exploration is a dangerous game and lives are put at risk each and every mission... But when man stops exploring, we stop growing, and die!

On 2003-02-01 11:11, Gemstone wrote:
    I hope that President Bush, when he addresses the country today, will reaffirm this countries commitment to manned space flight exploration... Space exploration is a dangerous game and lives are put at risk each and every mission... But when man stops exploring, we stop growing, and die!
    I do, too. However, I think (as I have said before) that at the very least this will set back space exploration by at least a decade and a half. A great amount of Challenger was recovered and therefore a cause could be identified.

I'm not saying we won't know with this disaster, but if we can't ever conclusively say "Yes, this is the cause.", then it will be difficult to get Congress to fund any further spaceflights. Too many questions will remain, such as "What happens when the next one just falls apart, since you can't predict when that'll happen?"

What a terrible tragedy! My deepest sympathies for the immediate family's of all involved. The ridiculous speculation from some of the news agencies and anchors is disgusting to me and totally inappropriate at this point. A live news conference from mission control is scheduled for 10:30am Central time.

On Fox news they have reported that the first piece of debris was found and they have a picture of it. It was found in north Texas

On 2003-02-01 11:17, Smaug wrote:
    On Fox news they have reported that the first piece of debris was found and they have a picture of it. It was found in north Texas
    I just hope that people heed the authorities and do not tamper with the debris; some of it is filled with fantastically dangerous substances.

I was in my graduating year of high school at the time of the Challenger disaster. There was a huge but quiet debate at the time..."Space travel: Is it worth the risk?" It's certain that the subject will come up again.

I came down firmly on the "Yes" side of the discussion, believing that any exploration had inherent risks. I still am. I just hope that the right side wins out again.

NASA funding came under fire, and there was talk about shutting down the shuttle missions. There were people who considered NASA to be an expensive boondoggle--a flashy useless toy--and wanted the whole thing shut down. The most vocal were the same folks who shut down the Apollo program. Cooler heads prevailed, and the shuttle missions continued. I wish I knew who will win this round.

And now, to add insult to injury, we've got nutcases swarming all over everthing screaming 'foul'--an insult to the memories of the astronauts.

My sympathies and sorrow goes out to the crew and their families. Rest in peace.

On 2003-02-01 11:14, Bill S. wrote:
    I do, too. However, I think (as I have said before) that at the very least this will set back space exploration by at least a decade and a half. A great amount of Challenger was recovered and therefore a cause could be identified.

I'm not saying we won't know with this disaster, but if we can't ever conclusively say "Yes, this is the cause.", then it will be difficult to get Congress to fund any further spaceflights. Too many questions will remain, such as "What happens when the next one just falls apart, since you can't predict when that'll happen?"

I think it was an astrounaut on ABC who said it would not cause as long a postonment as long as the Challenger accident. There is no design flaw here and we know that the shuttle works. Plus, we have a lot of stuff in place.

Dana

Those who have been methodically cutting the NASA funding must be kept responsible for this tragedy. That's what I really believe in!

I've been watching ABC for a little bit. They couldn't stress enough of how this wasn't a terrorist attack. However, that is all they say, with occasional eyewitness reports from Texas. It's the "Fog of War" all over again, I think around mid-afternoon the folks at NASA will have a good clue of what's going on.

I can only hope the conspirators havan't ganged up on this like fire ants on a wounded armadillo.

It's going to be a nightmare to collect the debris. East Texas is a heavily forested area. Not to mention a lot of people are likely to ignore the warnings.

President bush will be speaking from the white house at 12:30 Eastern.

CNN just showed a mangled burnt peice of the skin in a parking lot. Horrible...

On 2003-02-01 11:14, Bill S. wrote:

That was my fear when we lost the first shuttle also. Unfortunately this will give all the naysayers ammo to take funding away from the Space Program which is really a shame because our future is in space.

On 2003-02-01 11:27, g99 wrote:
    President bush will be speaking from the white house at 12:30 Eastern.

CNN just showed a mangled burnt peice of the skin in a parking lot. Horrible...
    I'll set the VCR.

I've got a friend who is grimly TIVO-ing the entire disaster from every channel he can tune in.

This is a black day.

1) There was an eyewitness caller on NBC who said that at first he thought that the shuttle was being followed by 3 chase planes, but then he realized that the shuttle was far too high and moving too quickly to be followed by anything. I was pleased that he corrected himself clearly on the air, to avoid any conspiracy fodder.

2) There is no Surface-to-Air missle capable of intercepting a target moving at an alititude of 203,000 feet and/or at a speed of 12,500. This is one reason why the US's experimental ABM system is having mixed results.

3) The original reports I heard indicated that the Columbia was moving at Mach 12. NBC just said Mach 6 (10:39 a.m. CT). Nasa.gov indicates Mach 18. So which is it? I suspect someone is doing some incorrect math. I'm going to do it myself and see which is accurate.

Aporetic

On 2003-02-01 11:37, aporetic_r wrote:
    3) The original reports I heard indicated that the Columbia was moving at Mach 12. NBC just said Mach 6 (10:39 a.m. CT). Nasa.gov indicates Mach 18. So which is it? I suspect someone is doing some incorrect math. I'm going to do it myself and see which is accurate.

Aporetic
    12,800 MPH is the current best guess.

Mach, IIRC, = 768mph at MSL. 12800/768=16.6~; so Mach 18 is probably closest to the mark.

Weather satellite radar shows the debris cloud still. Although I'm wondering if what it's showing is a hard ionization trail.

I just want to cry. This is horrible. I don't know what else to say.

[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img]

My God. What can I say that's not trite?
    I remember the Challenger disaster, and never thought anything like it would happen again. Condolences to the families of those killed. I feel as bad as I did during the Kursk incident.

And a thousand firebolts upon the heads of the b.s. merchants who are probably crawling out of the woodwork even as I type. @$*&#! vermin.

On 2003-02-01 11:42, Laser Jock wrote:
    I just want to cry. This is horrible. I don't know what else to say.

[img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img] [img]/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_cry.gif[/img]
    I feel the same way, and please excuse me if this comes of as harsh, but now is the itme for knowledgeable and/or seriously interested people to keep their wits about them in order to head off idle speculation, conspiracy theories, and general fearmongering.

Aporetic

On 2003-02-01 11:44, Conrad wrote:
    My God. What can I say that's not trite?
    I remember the Challenger disaster, and never thought anything like it would happen again. Condolences to the families of those killed. I feel as bad as I did during the Kursk incident.

And a thousand firebolts upon the heads of the b.s. merchants who are probably crawling out of the woodwork even as I type. @$*&#! vermin.
    Indeed. I'd like to punch Bart Sibrel this morning, just on general principals.